• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All things considered... Is this still one of the best phones?

Do we think this phone is worth the 24 month commitment, I know there will be those that are going with 12/18 month contracts by the majority of us are committing 2 years to this next contract.

Also I've read a few threads now of issues relating to battery issues, lag, cores not functioning properly and some minor software issues... Is this still worth the commitment, do we think these issues will all be fixed? I'm going to be committing to that

well all the issues 'ive read up on so far appear to be able to be fixed with software updates, which htc are normally pretty sound about. And the Nigles haven't put me off signing up for a 24 month stint with it. Plus if they are not sorted in a few months you could always custom ROM it with CM9 or similar which should be built by then.

Upvote 0
Installing a custom ROM looks to be very easy on the OX, I'll get round to it eventually and will happily guide you through it should you need assistance.

However, I'm not sure I'll want to for a while, this thing is immense. There are minor niggles as Netherdragon has pointed out, but nothing that I would consider a deal breaker. You might want to hold on, see if any more info is available on the SGS3 soon, but it would take a lot for the SGS3 to better this.

Upvote 0
I finally made the decision to go ahead and by which time, orange went out of stock :-( typical.

BTW I was wondering why are you going with orange? with them currently or have they offered you some amazing deal.

Always curious to see people's choice of carriers and their reasoning for it.

edit - just seen you post in the upgrade's thread and replied with my sugestions to that.

Upvote 0
I remember thinking the same thing 2 years ago when I got a Desire, that too had lots of issues but it sorted itself out after a few updates. I don't regret getting that phone and up until I got the One X I still loved it!

I feel/felt exactly the same. I really didn't want a 24 month contract when I got my Desire. But can honestly say if I have as much fun with the One X, then 24 months will fly by.

Upvote 0
I remember thinking the same thing 2 years ago when I got a Desire, that too had lots of issues but it sorted itself out after a few updates. I don't regret getting that phone and up until I got the One X I still loved it!

Yes, even after 2 years the Desire is still a very respectable phone by today's standards - not as a premium phone, but as a good mid-field model. Its only problem has been a lack of internal memory but for many that won't be a problem. My daughter can't wait for mine as a hand me down when I get an One X soon.

Ian

Upvote 0
I was at first planning to get a Samsung Galaxy Note before the One X was launched. The Note has more vertical short side screen resolution (1280x800 versus 1280x720 for the One X) and it's an AMOLED screen. The Note also has a barometric sensor and a pen stylus. But the extra size makes it look a bit silly and it appears to be significantly more expensive in network deals. So I guess it's still the One X for me.

Ian

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones