• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All Things Froyo

My opinion is that although it's very cool to have a device that allows for rooting, flashing roms, etc..if that is what it takes to have the best experience on an android device, then either the system or that particular device is doomed in the long run. It's only a small niche of users that will have the inclination, and more important, the time to do all that tinkering. So if android wants to really be in the mainstream, the devices have to have an excellent out of box experience. Part of that will have to include regular upgrades when available..but we all realize those are usually delayed by the operator-in this case ATT (once known as ma bell).

So to the answer the question of the op: it depends on the owner-for a tinkerer, no; for most of the mainstream-yes

Upvote 0
Actually Froyo is coming January 1, 2013. Samsung hopes that the world is destroyed in 2012 so they don't actually have to fulfill their promises of Froyo....

but (as I said a month ago) AT&T told me that the Froyo update was coming out in February.... which I at least think sounds pretty good. But there is no actual word of Froyo for the Captivate.

btw... if you looked at the 20 other topics on the first two pages of this forum, you would have known this by now....

Upvote 0
Froyo will be on the Captivate II, right about when everyone else is running "Pudding" or "Quiche"...
2.gif

Upvote 0
Feb? To be honest I'll have a new phone by then (not saying this cause some people say the captivate sucks gps problems blah blah blah or anything, I actually love mine. I just have a habit of upgrading every ~6 months) But I will keep my captivate as well so if it does come in Feb then woohoo.

I also kind of believe that they wont release it for the captivate. why release the update when they can release a newer phone with the newest version knowing people will just go out and get that instead of waiting for an update. people love new technology and i know many people who would not wait for an update on their phones software or even to wait for an upgrade on their phones contract to get a discount before they run out and buy a new phone.

Upvote 0
Feb? To be honest I'll have a new phone by then (not saying this cause some people say the captivate sucks gps problems blah blah blah or anything, I actually love mine. I just have a habit of upgrading every ~6 months) But I will keep my captivate as well so if it does come in Feb then woohoo.

I also kind of believe that they wont release it for the captivate. why release the update when they can release a newer phone with the newest version knowing people will just go out and get that instead of waiting for an update. people love new technology and i know many people who would not wait for an update on their phones software or even to wait for an upgrade on their phones contract to get a discount before they run out and buy a new phone.

To me that's a waste of money. I know I spend my money on things you may consider wasteful, so I'm not judging you, just applying your actions to my value system. I'm keeping my captivate until my renewal, which after that I may decide to keep. I originally bought this phone off contact because I couldnt stand my iphone anymore, normally I always wait until renewal time...but considering I sold my iphone for 250$ on ebay it actually ended up being cheaper off contract. My renewal comes in march, so I may jump ship to the motorola olympus. But probably not, once I get 2.2, official or not, I'm sure I'll fall back in love with my captivate. General lagginess and frequent browser and stock email crashes have really soured me. Didn't used to be that way but slowly getting worse, and I hardly have any apps on my phone fyi. Android 2.1 feels like a beta build.

Upvote 0
I'll give them till the 1st of 2011 till I muck around with unofficial roms. I really don't want to void my warranty as I'll have this phone for the next two years and have already had problems that they fixed (same phone). I'd only feel comfortable getting heavy into custom roms if i cracked the screen again and replaced it myself (voiding the warranty).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones