1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

All Things Froyo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brian3d, Dec 9, 2010.

1. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    no one read my post in the froyo thread? it appears the rumor that froyo will be skipped may be true. the nexus s uses a ext4 file system, pretty much what the voodoo lagfix does. it appears to me that they havent put out an update because they have been working on getting an ext4 file system working

Gingerbread brings the ext4 file system to new devices | Android Central

Advertisement

2. RedRyno

RedRyno Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    Construction
    SoCal
    Oh about ten minutes after NEVER... :(

3. Gamble1177

Gamble1177 Newbie
    None

Sep 17, 2010
    Because when I look at the first page of this forum and see a thread titled "froyo discussion" and “gingerbread discussion" and I have a question about the two. My first instinct is to start a new thread and not put my question in either of those threads. Im beginning to think att will only release froyo when 22 million new froyo threads have been created world wide.

4. ~Reaper~

~Reaper~ Well-Known Member
    None

WOW that is a pretty nice soap box you got there. I am and can only speak for my self I am running a custom rom and as for all the issues you just described I have none of them or any for that matter.My phone runs better than it ever has. As for flashing that is an individuals decision all the roms come with the disclaimer "If you do not know what the hell you are doing then do not do it" It cannot be any clearer. So my ??? is how in any way are we doing any one in this forum a dis service by giving ideas and options and talking from our own experiences. As for making this forum look bad I don't even know where the hell that came from, that is just ******ed to even say anything like that.

just my opinion man take it for what it is worth.:eek::rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

5. RedRyno

None

Jul 31, 2010
    Construction
    SoCal
  6. RedRyno

None

Jul 31, 2010
    Construction
    SoCal
    On a side note, you guys make it seem so easy (flashing roms), but that shiite looks F'ing hard...

7. peachpuff

peachpuff Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    It is easy once you get an understanding of it, restoring all your apps/settings is the hard part imo.

8. gcobb

gcobb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Southaven, MS
    I'll just wait on something legit, unhacked and hope for the best.

9. gcobb

gcobb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Southaven, MS
    AT&T only sells the phones, they're not programmers and they're not Samsung.

10. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Psst... you heard of Unix? Yeah that little OS that came out of at&t Bell Labs way back then? Yeah it's what GNU, Linux, OS X, android and many others were based on. Yep plenty of programmer and PhD types at at&t. I worked with many of them over the years.

They write many of their apps and qualify their stuffs vigorously.

11. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Your first instinct is wrong. ;)

First thing to do is to read the existing threads, to see if your question(s) were already answered (they were, many times).

Second thing (had your question not been answered) would be to use an existing thread since there were several on the topic. There are enough complaints as it is about dupe threads scrolling important topics off the first few pages. Less dupe threads = less scroll.

Search is your friend. :)

12. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Because most of the time, it's not with that disclaimer and these hacked-up ROMs are peddled, recommended and pushed onto newbies on this forum without any warning whatsoever, as if they are not only perfect and problem-free, but also the expected thing to do once you get the phone.

I'm glad you've had no problems and always fully-educate every single person you recommend hack their phone with a beta ROM with full warnings and disclaimers. However, most people aren't like you.

13. latetext

latetext Newbie
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    programmer
    cupertino
    and it worked!

I began looking here to see what I need to do, but I was left really confused. flashing roms, and researching XDA developers site (which I wasted like an hour on). Posts saying it is very complex and dangerous...

But low and behold, despite that it took me 90 mins to update to 2.2, and it's REALLY FREAKIN COOL. I got impatient on 2.2 yeah.

This is what I did: (poor grammar -> 3 AM)
    1) Root. ~ 90 seconds
    Tons of instructions on this forum to do so, I just followed these instructions:
    http://androidforums.com/captivate-...unleash-beast-v0-1-easiest-way-root-more.html

2) ~ 30 seconds
    Download Rom manager (free) from market on your phone, and press the first button "flash clockwork mod" button and choose samsung captivate.

3) ~ 1 minute
    Download cognition rom from here: (you can use other ones, but I'm just showing what worked for me)
    Download Cognition!
    i picked v2.3b7 OC/UV

4) ~ 10 seconds
    move rom to phone
    (connect using USB, drag and drop to internal sdcard, the .zip file! )

5) ~ 5 seconds
    open Rom Manager, and click "install ROM from sdcard".
    hit "wipe data" and click okay.

6) ~ 5 seconds
    use volume buttons to navigate to "reinstall packages" and hit phone's power button

7) ~ 5 minutes
    wait.

BY THE WAY: I am not an expert. I am probably the biggest noob on this forum so I won't be able to help if somehow you try this and it fails. I'm impatient and stupidly daring. This whole process could have taken a grand total of 8-10 minutes if I just knew what to do in between steps...

So I am making this post for anyone else who wants to manually update their captivate without really knowing what to do. And for people who aren't to worried about "bricking" their phone.

14. robhs

robhs Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Dayton, OH
    Good job! I want to do this but I am too paranoid to try it.

15. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    You don't seem to factor in restoring apps and data - that takes some time, too! I'm looking to do the same thing, but with Assonance, if Froyo doesn't show up soon.

16. northernale1

northernale1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 24, 2010
  17. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Interesting story. The positive side of this is that 25% of the upgrades are doing just fine. For the other 75% it'll give folks an opportunity to test their un-bricking skills. Canadians can move to the lower 48 where we're having NO problems with the Froyo update.

18. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    You jump first, Ann. I'll cheer you on and await a detailed report on the experience.

Mine are still growing.

19. RocketRay

RocketRay Newbie
    None

Jul 11, 2010
    System Admin
    SoCal
    I had my phone for two whole days before I rooted & flashed Cognition 2.3b6. Been running fine ever since. Just follow the instructions carefully and you'll be fine.

/bluetooth & wifi had probs on stock ROM
    //both work perfect on Cognition

20. northernale1

northernale1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 24, 2010
  21. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Friendly suggestion:

When you have objections of this nature, it's best to press the Report button as mods don't look favorably upon public discourse. You'll likely get a PM with an explanation.

Besides, consider yourself fortunate. In the past I've had a couple of my posts moved to the equivalent of All Things Siberian, with sub-forum views that never totalled more than single digits.

22. reinbeau

None

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    I'm still waiting, Jack, waiting, poking around and learning. I think it will be my New Year's Day project if the update hasn't happened by then; I'm a bit worried that the update will include all kinds of manipulations to prevent us from rooting - in which case I'm definitely going to flash.

It got moved because there are too many Froyo/Captivate threads out there, they all belong in one place.

23. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    As you may know, z4root already accomplished this for Froyo. I'm confident that this won't be an issue moving forward even of the official release has modifications to this component of the code.

24. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    This customization first appeared for the Droid X, so far as I know (edit: could've been the Samsung Vibrant - that was months ago - but I think it was the DX), and I was impressed when I heard about it. It was spread around the dev community by someone who lurks in lots of forums. ;)

Getting an ext file system working on any Android phone takes all of a few lines of script - as I recall maybe 6 lines or so of commands at the command prompt (Android equivalent of DOS window, for those that don't speak Linux). They can be wrapped into a little script command file, so that it's literally one command during the build process. And - these are publicly available steps.

Time to get ext4 working - 10 minutes. Time to optimize virtual operations after that - one dev took nearly a week, working in his spare time. The fix may look protracted if you use Windows - it's incredibly trivial in Linux (native OS for Android, so no extra hoops to jump through).

On Froyo.

If this sort of thing fixes the lag problem some of you are reporting - well, ok. In that case, the underlying problem isn't being solved - it's just being alleviated. Same thing to most folks when their troubles go away, but not a real fix.

For those confused by this thread - by popular demand and by our standard policy, several Froyo threads are now merged.

We often do this when a topic gets hot for any device.

Copronymous likes this.
  25. reinbeau

None

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    Well, if you follow the thread on XDA, some aren't so lucky with z4root after they've got Froyo. We'll see.....