• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All Things Froyo

Well, if you follow the thread on XDA, some aren't so lucky with z4root after they've got Froyo. We'll see.....

No - didn't see that. I've had no problems with Eclair and z4root, so that's an interesting bit of info. In the old days (July of this year) I rooted without automated assistance so the hacker in me may need to resort to that down the road.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Friendly suggestion:

When you have objections of this nature, it's best to press the Report button as mods don't look favorably upon public discourse. You'll likely get a PM with an explanation.

Besides, consider yourself fortunate. In the past I've had a couple of my posts moved to the equivalent of All Things Siberian, with sub-forum views that never totalled more than single digits.

LOL for all things siberian....happened to me too....my small problem went to all thing siberian and when i resturned to check if someone gave any helping advice it was merged with long ass completely differenct topic thread..i lost hope :thinking:

Upvote 0
LOL for all things siberian....happened to me too....my small problem went to all thing siberian and when i resturned to check if someone gave any helping advice it was merged with long ass completely differenct topic thread..i lost hope :thinking:

Nobody's perfect, we manage a LOT of posts. Just Report your own post or PM your friendly neighborhood Green or Red name character. You might get the response you want, you might not - but we'll do our best.

Back to topic please - thank you.

Upvote 0
Back to topic please - thank you.

After I embarrass you first.

I posted earlier in this thread: "When you have objections of this nature, it's best to press the Report button..."

I did just that a few days ago and EarlyMon took an extraordinary amount of his personal time to provide me with a detailed, courteous reply to a forum concern that I had. So - here's a public "thanks" for your effort.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
called Samsung playing dumb saying my friend at work has an evo and I have this and he can view videos in the news and I cant. Samsung says my phone can do the same thing but it's a third party program that does it and they don't support it, and to call at&T. I'm being up front with at&t about my knowledge and they're checking with Samsung to see why they are saying that my phone, as it is now, should be able to view the same things other android phones can without any mention of the software upgrade. I've let the at&t guy know that I realize flash will come with 2.2 but samsung said I could access it before that and am currently on hold.

end result: run around. at&t called samsung and they confirmed to them that they told me to call at&t and suggested I call adobe, which obviously will tell me that flash isn't supported until 2.2 which samsung should know but apparently do not. So... nice people all around in my contacts but a waste of half an hour.

Upvote 0
Fighting the good fight is always tough, and my hat's off to you.

FWIW - this is supposedly the 2.1 browser solution to the flash problem - Welcome to Skyfire

Some people raved about it, me, not so much - just tossing this out there in case they come and tell you this browser does full flash - kinda, not really.

It's still a decent browser, and you can access flash with it - no where like with native 2.2 tho.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I'll just wait for 2.2. Like I told my iphone owning at&t rep (who was also frustrated with a lack of flash) I am willing to be patient and wait if that's the only option, and know that 2.2 should come within the next 2-8 weeks, but the part that really got me personally a bit annoyed is that Samsung told me that I should be able to view all flash on my phone as it stands right now and that it's just a matter of getting the proper support from AT&T.

I know that customer support for any company is the lowest rung on the totem pole, so I am not reading into this at all as something larger than it is, but it really speaks about the disconnect between the manufacturer and the service provider.

It's not AT&T's fault that 2.2 isn't out yet. None of the other US Galaxy S phones are on the official 2.2 right now either. That only leaves Samsung. They claim they've been done with it for months. Who knows. Who cares.

All I want is flash. I literally did a little celebration dance when I got a new story video to play on my friend's phone. That's all I want. Flash to work. I don't care about anything else 2.2 has to offer. Well, I do, but all I am in a hurry for is flash.

Fingers crossed! I'll check out that browser you pointed to but I'm sure I'll be disappointed.

Upvote 0
Im curious to hear why someone who wants froyo, or just flash support, isnt using a custom ROM. I'm not being critical, just curious as to the reasons. Is it warranty issues? Bugs?

I'm asking because I've been using flash and froyo for a while now and I'm happy with the results. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks

Reactions: Jack45
Upvote 0
I'll take a stab at it.

1. Many flavors to choose from - no clear front runner.
2. Each flavor has its own issues (stability, bugs).
3. Frequent updates with a strongly suggested requirement to flash back to stock first.
4. Froyo any day now (week? month? year?)
5. Not all members are hackers, and although the level of hacking is not deep, it's still too deep for some.

I welcome your push back, and wonder which flavor you're using, including version.

Edit:

1. Good post, Shelbster.
2. I'm so tired of waiting for Samsung to get off the pot that I'm tempted to flash a custom ROM any day now. The big question is: Cog 2.3b6? Perception? Axura? Assonance? Tayutama? Another? Decisions, decisions.

Upvote 0
Im curious to hear why someone who wants froyo, or just flash support, isnt using a custom ROM. I'm not being critical, just curious as to the reasons. Is it warranty issues? Bugs?

I'm asking because I've been using flash and froyo for a while now and I'm happy with the results. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks

Hacking/rooting is not necessary for any phone. Its the same thing as buying a computer, theres no "must" to overclocking. You overclock your computer if you want to and feel like doing it while others dont mind using the stock. Either way, YES using custom roms can help, but it doesnt mean your phone is garbage and totally useless if you dont. Not everybody wants to risk messing up their phone to the point where they don't know where to begin the fix just so they can have some slight advantages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones