1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

All Things Smart Home related

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ocnbrze, Mar 29, 2021.

1. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

hey guys,

so if you do not know, i just bought a Ring Floodlight camera......and i love it. this was my first purchase into "The Internet of Things".

i really like the camera and its added sense of security. i am now looking into getting a ring doorbell.

i was just at Best Buy and they have a smart home section. now what has caught my eye is Google's nest hub thermostat and i was looking for hub that will also work with my floodlight camera. i just learned that Google Hub does not work with ring well. it will not let you watch the video feed from the camera.....so that will not work. Amazon's Alexa has a hub that will work with both Ring and Google's nest thermostat.

anybody here has them setup at their home?

i would like to have a simple smart thermostat to control the heat and ac for my house. the nest thermostat looks simple enough to use and i love how you can control the temp and program it to go on and off according to the time of day.

not sure if i want the lights to be controlled, but that would be cool to do at some point as well.

thoughts?

MrJavi and Dannydet like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ozonetrooper

ozonetrooper Well-Known Member

Make darn sure you use a hard to guess password and lock all that stuff down !

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. ocnbrze

the echo show 10 is weird because it can follow your movement

i'm hinting at the echo more then the nest.....mainly because of my ring floodlight and future ring doorbell.

4. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

I know this is of no use at all :), but my choice would be to go with a professional who knows/installs/configures/connects compatible devices. Done! That's my method, and it works very well.

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. ocnbrze

i might hire someone to install the nest thermostat.....but i really have not look into installation. one thing that google promotes is that it is very easy to install and set up....they claim an install time of 5 min.

right now it is still a thought which may lead to action. and maybe soon would be a good time to get it as it starts to heat up and controlling temp will probably easier then what i have now.

6. ozonetrooper

ozonetrooper Well-Known Member

The t/stat is easy, 4 wires, match them to the same letters on the new stat :
    red wire to R
    white wire to W
    green wire to G

and it will either be a yellow or a blue wire to Y, just match how the old stat is wired.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. I think you should really take care of the security of your smart home first. After all, the smarter your house is, the more attractive it is for thieves and scammers. So I suggest you find some modern security system, like ajax. You need such a smart security system, with which you can accurately monitor the entire situation at home, you can view the cameras through the app on your smartphone. I think you should look for something like this on the Internet. I'm sure you can find one for yourself. Good luck!

ocnbrze likes this.