• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ally Recovery.img is Here!!! Custom Roms!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Having a few difficulties installing the image. Everything goes fine until I run "flash_image recovery", then the cmd box says
Code:
can't find recovery partition
Any advice would gratefully appreciated,

Using a (UK) T-Mobile GW620 with V10U_00 (1.6) firmware.
The mobile is rooted with superuser.

Many thanks,
Andrew

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

Having a few difficulties installing the image. Everything goes fine until I run "flash_image recovery", then the cmd box says
Code:
can't find recovery partition
Any advice would gratefully appreciated,

Using a (UK) T-Mobile GW620 with V10U_00 (1.6) firmware.
The mobile is rooted with superuser.

Many thanks,
Andrew

Its not made for your device. This is for VS740 LG Ally Cdma Verizon only.

Upvote 0
2.1-update1 firmware... or is it the SW version? if thats it... VS740ZV8
i tried it again... it went like this:
mtd: read error at 0x00000000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00020000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00040000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00060000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00080000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x000a0000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x000c0000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x000e0000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00100000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00120000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00140000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00160000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00180000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x001a0000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x001c0000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x001e0000 (Out of memory)
# reboot
reboot

so i tried to start it using the three keys and it came up with is the yellow !.
i'm kinda stuck... am i on the wrong sw?
*edit*
thanks to amoamare and his awesome program. worked like a charm.

I just tried to install recovery via the sdcard with terminal emulator, and got the same error above. Then when i did the reboot, it would show a bluescreen that said something fastboot? And only way i could get the phone to get out of that screen was a battery pull.

Upvote 0
I just tried to install recovery via the sdcard with terminal emulator, and got the same error above. Then when i did the reboot, it would show a bluescreen that said something fastboot? And only way i could get the phone to get out of that screen was a battery pull.

Nowhere in my instructions did I ever say to use terminal on the phone. Use adb shell or fastboot. Best way is from inside recovery follow starting from step 1.

Upvote 0
Nowhere in my instructions did I ever say to use terminal on the phone. Use adb shell or fastboot. Best way is from inside recovery follow starting from step 1.
Yeah i missunderstood your post:D But anyway i got it now :eek: Good thing i didn't brick the phone, the old lady would raised some kind of hell on that hahahaha

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for this. Your tutorial was very thorough and easy to follow.

Stupid question, are there any key bindings for the recovery? As in, when at the recovery screen, can you select items from the list or are all of those commands done with a root prompt in adb?

Forgive the noobish-ness, just curious.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. Opened the keyboard and used the d-pad.. duh lol

Upvote 0

Hey i had that same thing happen? what did you do to correct it? did you just end up using adb shell through the computer? let me know..

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hey there drellisdee first off thanks for everything you have done in this forum. I am a new member of this site. However I have been lurking for a while trying to get this custom backup system up and running. Seeing that I am a Noob and haven't done anything like this in years I have been less than successful. Well I will try and cut to the chase. I can't get past go hardly. When I go to the adb shell and I get the $ sign I type Su and I get permission denied. I have tried with my phone and my wifes. Is there anyway we could talk on this site and maybe get me walked through this. Man I sure would appreciate it. Again your awesome Thanks so much

swc2001

Upvote 0
Hey there drellisdee first off thanks for everything you have done in this forum. I am a new member of this site. However I have been lurking for a while trying to get this custom backup system up and running. Seeing that I am a Noob and haven't done anything like this in years I have been less than successful. Well I will try and cut to the chase. I can't get past go hardly. When I go to the adb shell and I get the $ sign I type Su and I get permission denied. I have tried with my phone and my wifes. Is there anyway we could talk on this site and maybe get me walked through this. Man I sure would appreciate it. Again your awesome Thanks so much

Steve

You are getting that error because you are not rooted. That part is assuming you are already rooted. Look in the how to root ally thread for a app that I linked for 1 click root. Or else follow the steps exactly from step 1 on and you can do it without root.

Upvote 0
Well so here it is... Thanks to everyone on this site especially drellisdee.:D
AndroidBackupSystemjpg-800.jpg

Well my next question is how extensive is this Nandroid backup thing-a-ma-jig. I mean its only 275 MB in size? What all does this thing backup?
Does it back up all your apps and settings and all that good kind of stuff?

My first impression was that it is an exact image of the phone... AKA you could go get yourself a brand new Ally out of the box and put this on it (provided you put the Nandroid backup system on it) And it would be a clone of the original phone having all the same apps having the same background and ring tones etc etc. Is this the case?

Also I saw this Google Backup thingy in it. What is that?
Basically it would be super awesome for all of those nifty features in this Nandroid Backup Recovery system to be detailed out and told what they are and what they do. Maybe you guys have already covered it somewhere i just missed the memo. (that happens to me alot) I seem to miss stuff even when its in front of my face. Well anyeway I really appreciate it everyone.
I really look forward to what you have to say about this drellisdee.

FROYO FTW BABY!!:D

Attachments

• Android Backup System.jpg-800.jpg
    Android Backup System.jpg-800.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0
It backs up an image of your phone. So yes apps and all that but I am not sure on flahing it to another phone because every phone has its unique ID for OTA, I could be wrong but as far as I know its impossible to flash ur nandroid backup to another phone. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

when the droid scene first got root and a recovery most the roms were basically just someone elses phone they modified and put up as a nandroid to download. so for the droid atleast it can be done.

Upvote 0
It backs up an image of your phone. So yes apps and all that but I am not sure on flahing it to another phone because every phone has its unique ID for OTA, I could be wrong but as far as I know its impossible to flash ur nandroid backup to another phone. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Hey Vmanisme thanks for weighing in. on this
Number one it is awesome that this little thing backs up EVERYTHING that is really great. However the reason i asked this question was I was wondering what whould happen if your a clutz like me and you I dunno drop your phone in the lake.:eek: Yes I have done that with my Lg EnV back in the day. It was completely fried. LOL So I had the insurance and I got me a brand new EnV... THe only thing was.... It was stock no games no ring tones no background NO NUTTIN. It stunk!! LOL So I was hoping it was kind of like creating an image for a computer that could be put on any machine with the same specs and same motherboard. That way "you really never lose anything no matter if even the worst case happens." I really hope that is the case. That was the big draw for me.

BTW Vmanisme I saw your Thread for fastest Ally because of some Rom I think? You think you could PM me more about this... It sounds really Cool.
I am assuming you flashed this to your Ally using the Android Backup System in the begining of this thread. Hey Thanks again

swc2001

Upvote 0
when the droid scene first got root and a recovery most the roms were basically just someone elses phone they modified and put up as a nandroid to download. so for the droid atleast it can be done.

Now thats what I am talkin bout!!!
Can someone confirm this for the Ally.:D

z0mbiexx thanks... I saw you have this Velocity thingy too. maybe you could PM me so I dont hijack this thread to a different discussion.

Thanks.

swc2001

Upvote 0
I am getting a permission denied when i try to flash the new recovery. its the RA_GNM_v1.2.1.img. i have clockworkmod now. any help would be great. Thanks

please use v1.2.2 as the usb mount storage button is mapped wrong on v1.2.1. Please post more detailed info on what method you used to flash it. Copy of your cmd prompt shell would be ideal.

Reactions: Bradferguson
Upvote 0
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator>cd c:\android\sdk\tools

C:\android\sdk\tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-aloha-RA_GNM_v1.2.1.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-aloha-RA_GNM_v1.2.1.img
flash_image: permission denied
#

Hope this helps . and where do i find v1.2.2

Upvote 0
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator>cd c:\android\sdk\tools

C:\android\sdk\tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-aloha-RA_GNM_v1.2.1.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-aloha-RA_GNM_v1.2.1.img
flash_image: permission denied
#

Hope this helps . and where do i find v1.2.2

Hey Brad That is the exact same thing that has been happening to me as well.
Has this happened to anyone else?

So Drellisdee where do we pick up version 1.2.2 ?

Also what is the real difference between the version 1.13 and these new recovery systems 1.2.1 / 1.2.2. Its my understanding that the original version couldnt flash froyo but the latter can. Is that correct?

What are the official loading instructions for this new Recovery are they the same as with the old? I loaded the old recovery system with the Terminal on the phone. It worked like a charm.

Do you somehow have to take version 1.13 off then put 1.2.2 on?

Anyway Thanks a miliion to all who are involved.... good stuff.

Upvote 0
and where do i find v1.2.2

It's at the bottom of drellisdee's original post.

On Another note. After i flashed v1.2.2 i get the verification error no signature when trying the flash update zip option. This happens when i tried flashing the Velocity rom, my own custom rom, as well as the kernerl drellisdee made. (This also happened when i flashed v1.2.1)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones