• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root almost Newbie help question

NCChief

Lurker
Sep 25, 2011
Hi all!

This is my first post here, but I have been a lurker for a long time, using the information that I learned here to root and mod my EVO 4G. Thanks to all that have made this information available!

I haven't touched my phone in a long time. I am still running 2.2, but now since 2.3 can be rooted, need to know the best way to go about upgrading to 2.3. Here are my specs:

Android Version 2.2
Baseband Version 2.15.00.11.19
Software # 3.70.651.1
ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.2.2
Used UnREvoked to root.

I cannot recall what ROM I am running right now (so any clue on figuring that out would be most appreciated).

I apologize in advance if I left out any pertinent information, or if this has been covered in another thread (couldn't find it). Please do not hesitate to ask me questions that will assist you in assisting me!

Thanks in advance!
NCC

You probably should switch your recovery over to Amon-ra 2.3. The steps are in the rooting for dummies sticky, Also you can read the revolutionary thread, there's a section for switching recoveries in there as well.
All you need to do is check out the roms and kernels thread and check out the different GB roms and see what looks good to you. Download it, put it on your SD card. Boot into recovery and make a nandroid backup. Wipe cache partition, dalvik cache, and wipe data / factory reset. Then choose install zip from SD, highlight your ROM and hit power, let it flash the rom and then reboot.

Upvote 0
Hey Man! Thanks for the reply!

So all I need to do is flash with a new ROM? I can do that! What ROM do you recommend?

I was thinking that it would be more involved considering I haven't updated or touched anything in quite some time. :)

NCC

its all personal preference lol..see what works best with your phone...roms that run great for me might not run so great for you....but, obviously Mik Roms are the most popular in this forum...sooo...

Mikg 2.5 (i believe there are patches now that make it 2.53) is a good rom..

Mik3d is a good rom....

Synergy has good roms...

those are just examples that i have used or am currently using that i really like and they run nice on my phone...

Reactions: ocnbrze and NCChief
Upvote 0
Hey Man! Thanks for the reply!

So all I need to do is flash with a new ROM? I can do that! What ROM do you recommend?

I was thinking that it would be more involved considering I haven't updated or touched anything in quite some time. :)

NCC

MikG, or Mik3D are awesome! Check one out.

Upvote 0
OK guys!!

Switched recoveries to Amon-ra 2.3. and did a Nandroid backup...I have downloaded the following file and want to make sure it is what is recommended: Supersonic3DBeta6-signed.zip. Also, some of the documentation recommended using ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE. What is your opinion on that step.....

OH...also, will I need to change Kernels?

Standing by! :)

NCC

Upvote 0
OK guys!!

Switched recoveries to Amon-ra 2.3. and did a Nandroid backup...I have downloaded the following file and want to make sure it is what is recommended: Supersonic3DBeta6-signed.zip. Also, some of the documentation recommended using ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE. What is your opinion on that step.....

Standing by! :)

NCC

well it is a beta still. i'm just flashed this myself today and no issue yet with it. and the vr superwipe is a good thing to use prior to flashing it. just make sure to still wipe dalvik ccahe, cache and data as well.

Reactions: DaRayvn and NCChief
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones