• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Almost ready to root...

Method760

Jan 6, 2010
The 760 SoCal
Well after watching a couple of videos and reading i feel like im 80% ready. I will be using the Cyanogen Wiki to try it, And I have download files Sappimg,DRC83,Flasrec but in the instructions it say's to download file "update-cm-4.2.x-signed.zip" which i cant seem to fine. Also i dont have a card reader on my current laptop so its ok if i have all the files saved into the sd card before i do the root right? Thanks.

OMG!! I Did It!!!! Its rooted!! i think? I have the android on the skate board as a background! Lol. Now my question is, when i want to upload a new rom do i have to wype and install "DRC83_base_defanged.zip" before i upload a new rom??

It depends on which rom you use. Currently, the only roms I know of that require you to flash the Google apps before the rom are Cyanogen and SuperD. All of the other roms I have seen or used already have the Google apps included so there is not need to flash the DRC83 beforehand, it would simply be redundant. Developers choose not to include the Google apps to make their rom legal because Google has asked for them not to because users that may not have had such apps included on their android phone were getting them for free when it had cost Google to use them. So read up on the rom first and see if you need to flash the DRC83 zip with the apps anyway, because chances are the developer actually put them into the rom already. But be sure that when you do use DRC83 that you flash that first, before the rom you are going to use.

Upvote 0
Ok so now im running the SuperD rom. My question is. Are my apps that i download being saved on my SD card or is there another process to that?? oh yeah super d rocks!!

Actually your apps do install to the sd card, that is if you have partitioned your sd card for Apps2SD. In order to partition it I'd the easiest way is to use AmonRa's Recovery Image, that allows you to set exactly how much space from your sd card you'd like to use for Apps2SD which is already in SuperD, many roms it isn't but with SuperD it is. So all you need to do is partition correctly and you are ready to go.

snap20100328192531.png

snap20100328192538.png

So with my 16GB card I have set aside 512MB for my Ext2, so my apps install directly to this partition. So I'm able to access about 457MB of that partition and about 81MB of that is used up with apps. The internal memory of the phone will stay at 281MB until I push something to the internal memory which I have done for a few things. But still there isn't any apps installed there so the available space is high. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Ah cool Karma thanks. Also how do i find out what kind of SPL,Recovery i have?

To see your SPL the easiest, power off your phone, restart and as you do hold volume down and power and the same time. Your SPL is probably 1.33.0006 which is good. With Mytouchs you don't need to change your SPL for roms because Mytouchs have extra internal memory compared to the G1s. The DeathSPL is only needed for roms that require it on the G1. But because we have extra MBs there, we don't need to worry about that, just flash away, unless you read specifically that you need the Death, or DangerSPL for a Mytouch.

As for recovery, just restart holding home and power. You're recovery image will open. I have AmonRa's build 1.6.2G which shows up at the bottom of the page. This is his newest for a Mytouch and I suggest an upgrade to that because of the added features with the update, as well as your choice of a blue, green, or pink care bear background and font colors. ;) But there is also the default one without a care bear with only the HTC symbol, but really who wants that?

Upvote 0
Ok i think i got it on how to. Which one is the correct one for my phone? Will anything get deleted if i do this? And do i have to reload my rom?

If you have a MyTouch you want the version that ends in G. The H version is for unbranded HTC Magics. G for Google, H for HTC. :)

Nothing will be deleted, and no you won't need to reflash the rom. That being said, ALWAYS do a Nandroid backup before you do anything that changes the system.

Reactions: Method760
Upvote 0
I see thank you. But i thought i had figure out how to flash it but i have no idea. Lol Can i do it with the terminal emulator that came with the super d?

Yes and no. The Terminal Emulator with your rom doesn't allow you to put in numbers while using a Mytouch, it was mainly designed for G1s. So you can use it but you'll have to rename the AmonRa file to something without numbers. Really I would just suggest getting "Better Terminal Emulator Pro" from the market, its $3.99 but well worth it!

Also, the best and easiest install method out there for AmonRa is here -

YouTube - Amon RA's 1.5.2 Recovery and How To Use SwitchROM! =D

This video walks you through exactly what you'll need. You won't need the Switchrom stuff he talks about but the actual install of AmonRa is done great by him, also there is a newer version out than the one he uses its 1.6.2G I'm sure you found it, and as Insta said, you want the G version that is if your phone says Google on the back. Otherwise H for HTC, good luck!

Reactions: Method760
Upvote 0
Ok Now to partition, Just go to recovery and hit partition, Whats a good swap-size. Do i have to wipe or do anything else before partition it?

For Mytouch, I've heard the best swap is actually zero. I would go with that, its been good for me, but really just experiment with it, see what helps your phone out the most. Probably don't want to go to high like 196MB or over, cause anything around that range just is overkill and actually hurts your phone more than helps. So I would recommend a full wipe of everything Factory reset, dalkiv cache, ext partition, battery stats, and rotation, then partition --> 0 swap, ext2 however much room you want to install roms on since this is where Apps2SD goes, I usually do 512 and never run out of room. And that is it, just let it partition, then also make sure to ext2 to ext3 in the partition menu, do this after the partition. Also do ext3 to ext4 if the rom says to, for SuperD just do ext2 to ext3.

That's it. By the way, you'll need to back everything from your sd card up, this will wipe everything. But for partitioning I suggest that, in fact you have to wipe your sd card, then you can put your partitions in. Anyway, backup, wipe, partition, reflash your rom, reinstall your apps and settings. Done. Good Luck!

Upvote 0
Damm You and Karma are the best! Thank you for real for all your help, could have NOT done it with out you guys! Now more questions! Lol back up. So do an Nandroid back up right? I dont have to back into the market and get all my apps right? I have to see how this Nandroid thing works i guess. Lol

Try out both Nandroid and BART back up, try them both out and see how you like it. If I ever feel the need to have a formal backup I do a BART. I haven't done a Nandroid in awhile so I don't know if it keeps your apps, but BART for sure does keep them so you don't have to download them again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones