• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Almost ready to say goodbye to my Bionic. Which phones are you guys switching to?

andrewx77

Oct 26, 2012
Hello bionic owners,

it's almost time for me to upgrade. Just in time too. My battery is getting pretty weak and I haven't been all that happy with my bionic's performance since the ICS upgrade.

Since I got my bionic the first month it was available, my subsidized upgrade is coming up in May.

I have a good idea of what I want next (most likely samsung galaxy note 2), but I'm just curious where other bionic users are planning on going phone wise.

Well, I prefer smaller phones myself, so that pretty much rules out the Note 2 and the Droid DNA for me. I want a phone that fits in my pocket.

Samsung is announcing the Galaxy S4 tonight at 7 PM EDT, and All Things D mentioned last night that Verizon would be offering a version of the new HTC One about a month after the other US carriers. There are many rumors that Google will be introducing a Motorola phone at Google I/O in May (the rumored Motorola X phone), and possibly the next version of Android (Key Lime Pie), with release on all carriers later in the year. Of course, there is the iPhone 5 and likely the iPhone 5s later this year. (I'd be fine using an iPhone myself. They are great phones, and Apple supports them better than any Android OEM supports their handsets.)

I agree that the Razr Maxx HD looks like a really good phone, but, based on the above paragraph, I think you'd be better off waiting and seeing what comes early this sumer at this point, unless you are absolutely desperate for a new phone. I can't believe that the Bionic is that bad to not keep for another month after your upgrade or so... new Bionic batteries aren't all that expensive at this point. Amazon.com: bionic battery

I have a family plan of four phone, and there is one available upgrade at the moment, one coming in mid-June, and one in August. I'm planning to let my son use the June upgrade, if he wants to, and wait to see what's happening in the August timeframe, and try to keep one upgrade open in case somebody's phone fails. That's my plan, anyway.

Upvote 0
Thom is right, if you didn't do a factory reset after installing ICS, you really should. There is a lot of apps that don't neccessarily like ICS and some that do just don't seem to act well on the same install when you upgrade from GB to ICS. ICS was a pretty radical upgrade. Think of it as going from Windows 95 to Windows XP.

As for the battery, that could just be you are reaching the end of life of it. Amazon has some OEM Bionic batteries for a good price. And yes, make sure it is a Motorola OEM battery, not a Hyperion or some other 3rd party battery.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
This thread was not meant to be about any issues I or others may have with the bionic. That is certainly discussed in countless other threads

forget my Bionic. As I stated in the first post, I'm interested in hearing about what phones former Bionic users are switching to.

let's try to stay on topic. thanks

Upvote 0
The Galaxy S4 event was last night. Forgetting all of the ridicule about the actual event (which I didn't watch, but which apparently inadvertently insulted some people), the phone looks like it will be very nice. In some ways, it's Samsung's iPhone 4s compared with the iPhone 4 - a very similar form factor, though with beefier specs, a larger, higher resolution display in the same sized device (by reducing the bezels), a fairly large, removable battery (2600 mAH), and some improved software running the latest version of Jelly Bean. In other words, people are criticizing the phone because it looks too much like the Galaxy SIII, like people criticized the "s" model iPhones.

What we do not know yet, I think, is when it will be on Verizon Wireless, and what the exact VZW phone specs will be.

Upvote 0
The Galaxy S4 event was last night. Forgetting all of the ridicule about the actual event (which I didn't watch, but which apparently inadvertently insulted some people), the phone looks like it will be very nice. In some ways, it's Samsung's iPhone 4s compared with the iPhone 4 - a very similar form factor, though with beefier specs, a larger, higher resolution display in the same sized device (by reducing the bezels), a fairly large, removable battery (2600 mAH), and some improved software running the latest version of Jelly Bean. In other words, people are criticizing the phone because it looks too much like the Galaxy SIII, like people criticized the "s" model iPhones.

What we do not know yet, I think, is when it will be on Verizon Wireless, and what the exact VZW phone specs will be.

The S4 is a serious option for me, but I'm definitely going to wait until all of the feedback starts pouring in. It still may be hard to sway me from the galaxy note 2. There is really nothing quite like it at the moment. I love the big screen. And surprisingly it does fit in my pocket. I hover between my phone and my nexus 7 and the note would replace both.

Upvote 0
This thread was not meant to be about any issues I or others may have with the bionic. That is certainly discussed in countless other threads

forget my Bionic. As I stated in the first post, I'm interested in hearing about what phones former Bionic users are switching to.

let's try to stay on topic. thanks
You may want to stay with the Bionic for a while if you do an FDR and it starts acting properly. Toward the end of this year, early next year, Verizon will begin the Voice Over LTE which means phones won't need a CDMA chip in them. Currently, LTE is for data only with voice going over CDMA but that will be ending. That means one less chip to drain the battery.

If you get a new phone now, you may wish you had waited a few extra months once things shake out.

Reactions: Lars
Upvote 0
We are also due to upgrade in May and my wife has uncorrectable vision problems and is really excited about the larger format phones that have come out of late. I really suspected that she would migrate to one of the Samsung offerings, but she really likes the DNA. Funny thing is (and she didn't know this when she picked it out) that was my pick also. Of course, I'll re-evaluate before making a final decision, but the DNA is a sweet phone.

BigRedGonzo

Upvote 0
I was surprised I didn't have an account on this forum site, because I've checked it out plenty of times for info. Anyways, back to topic...

Mostly satisfied with my Bionic now, and hope JB gives me good reason to keep it around until at least the end of the summer. I'm sticking with VzW for sure (formerly with AT&T and its coverage leaves much to be desired). Also had a 3GS before going with my first Android. Motorola has been a trusted brand of mine since I was very young, and my parents had their bag phones. For some reason, they are very durable (as opposed to my iPhones). I like the way Android OS has evolved, and I feel like Apple has "jumped the shark" with the iPhone 5. The iPhones may be very pretty, but I feel like their innovations and hardware are falling further behind the Android lineup.

I'm open to other Android manufacturers (particularly Samsung), but I'm really interested in this upcoming "Googorola X Phone."

Upvote 0
My Bionic has served me well, but I am considering dumping it for the Nexus 4.
After sticking with VZW for more than a decade I am growing weary of the limited devices, slow update cadence, and bloatware; all at a premium price point... versus paying retail for an N4 and adding it to T-Mobile without a contract.
Hmmm...

Upvote 0
My Bionic has served me well, but I am considering dumping it for the Nexus 4.
After sticking with VZW for more than a decade I am growing weary of the limited devices, slow update cadence, and bloatware; all at a premium price point... versus paying retail for an N4 and adding it to T-Mobile without a contract.
Hmmm...

The thing that gets me about Google devices is the same flaws iPhones have...lack of an SD slot and no user swappable battery.

I like the S4 having both of these, but with Voice over LTE in the wings and my upgrade still being a few months off, I will likely keep waiting to see what's coming with VoLTE phones.

With JB around the corner for the Bionic I picked up a couple of batteries from Amazon for it because even when I get a new one, will still make a great music player and GPS and the JB will likely keep the Bionic feeling fresh until Verizon gets the VoLTE bugs shaken out.

Upvote 0
After having battery issues with my bionic and call VZW i was surprised to find out that i have total equipment coverage.. Dont ask me look it up.. Long story short they sent me a new bionic.... After 2 weeks of only 3-1/2 hours of battery i called back and requested a battery... Guess what they don't have them anymore. So they said i could buy one from amazon and they would reimburse me the price.. I staid wait so your going to warranty a battery from amazon?? She said of course not!! She gave me the your due for an upgrade!! i said great send me a an upgrade. Oh but i will not be extending my contract or paying for it because you could not fulfill my total equipment coverage..

They sent a razor.. So far i am getting around 8 hours battery out of of it. I can set the it down overnight with a 90% charge and wake up with 80% charge on it.. Something i could never do with the bionic.. It also has the JB update with Google now.. i have heard that the razor has some battery issues as well.. Well i am paying for total equipment coverage so i guess i will keep sending these phones back until i get one that works for me.

Upvote 0
FYI ... I got an OEM battery for my Droid X for $14.00 from Amazon. The Bionic OEM batteries were under $20.00.

They do eventually need to be replaced.

... Thom

Yes they do. And I think people got spoiled with the old feature phones that didn't need to be charged for 3 or 4 days. Some people didn't need to charge them but once a week. Well, it took a lot longer, many times longer, to go through the recharge life cycle of those batteries than they do a smartphone battery.

With smartphones needing to be charged nearly every day, most people are going to see a noticeable decrease in battery life before the 2 year phone contract is up. Because they weren't used to this with the feature phones, they end up blaming the phone thinking there is something faulty with it. After reading about other phones on various sites, I'm noticing this is a common thing with them as well, not something limited just to the Bionic.

Upvote 0
I went to the RAZR m in November and now have the HD. although I like both of them neither has given me the pleasure that the bionic did when I first got it.don't get me wrong, they both outperform it night and day but it isn't a super leap ahead....other than battery life which now is a non issue.....I would def wait to see what the x has to offer

Upvote 0
OP were in the same boat! Im tired of how my bionics been acting ive gotten 2 factory approved or whatever its called replacements due to my phone not charging

Me personally im going to the Iphone 4s. Only 100$ to upgrade with new 2yr=) Only a month away Hurry up hurry up!

This is me right now

Cartman comeon! - YouTube
You say you have gotten replacement phones for a charging issue. Normally when they send you a replacement like that, it's just the bare phone, you have to move the battery, sim and SD card over to the new phone. Have you been moving your battery from phone to phone and not having a replacement?

If you have been using the same battery it's likely that your battery is just at the end of it's life. Keep in mind it's had to be recharged 4 or 5 times more than an old dumb phone would have had to been charged so the battery life becomes an issue before the 2 years is up.

If it's not that, it could be the charger, although thats less likely. Do you still use the original charger? If not, do you use an OEM Motorola charger that's been approved for use with the Bionic? Both an OEM charger and OEM battery are pretty cheap on Amazon to hold you over till you get your new phone, not to mention these devices will be VERY useful even when they stop being used as phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones