• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Almost upgrade time, couple ?s

PowerBomb

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2010
Chicago
1) I'm currently getting the "you are qualified for an upgrade but if you wait until XX/XX date you will get an additional loyalty discount". My loyalty date is 1 week away. Any chance a Verizon store would bump up the date for me if I told them my current phone's battery is draining really quickly and I need to upgrade ASAP.

2) Does 4G cost more monthly? Staying with 3G is not a huge issue for me but I should get grandfathered in to unlimited data so if I could use that with 4G that would be nice. (I think I've answered this through a trial run with Amazon Wireless, I selected to upgrade to a Thunderbolt and I was able to select the same Nationwide 450 talk/text with $29.99 unlimited data that I have now. So it appears 4G would not raise my monthly bill)

3) If I just go direct through Verizon would I be better off in store or online? I thought at one point online got you even deeper discounts but I'm not sure if it's still that way today. My main concerns are making sure I don't get switched to a tiered data plan, and getting the best deal on my next device. Is it imperative to make sure I am dealing with someone in person or can I pull this off online.

4) I have absolutely zero experience or knowledge of what happens when you choose to do an upgrade through somewhere else like Best Buy or Amazon instead of VZW. I see Amazon would provide a DInc2 for 1cent with a 2 year renewal, whereas Verizon still shows me $99.99. How does this work? Does Verizon ever bother to price match any of these other deals? I mean with a $30 loyalty discount the DInc2 will still be $69.99 for me, I could leave my local VZW store, go across the street to Best Buy, and get it for free. Would they care enough to just price match it? Are there any other fees or additional contracts that take place when you renew a contract through a 3rd party? (Strangely I notice when I do a trial purchase on Amazon it lets me choose that I currently have unlimited data and allows me to keep it. Best Buy's website says "choose a data plan even if you already have one, to make sure it is compatible with your new device, and they don't show the "Renew unlimited" option, so it seems like BB wants to force people onto the tiered data, maybe it would be different in an actual BB store.)

1) It's possible, but I'm guessing not overly likely. If you do ask, do so either on the phone, or at a CORPORATE store, since many third party and premium retailers don't honor the NE2 credit (loyalty discount) regardless.

2) No, 4G does not cost more. Since you have unlimited data on a smartphone now, you'll be grandfathered in as long as you move to another smartphone, either 3G or 4G.

3) I would order online. Usually they have very competitive pricing (with everyone except the 3rd party retailers like Amazon, et al who don't honor the loyalty discount and can cause issues with grandfathered features), you don't have to mail in any rebates (they'll be instant), and you can confirm that your plan remains intact before you place the order.

4) 3rd party retailers like Amazon and Best Buy don't honor the NE2 credit or early upgrades, and they often require you to sign a contract directly with them. That second contract stipulates that you can't make changes to your line, phone, or plan for 6 months or you owe the retailer an Early Termination Fee. You'll also hear about more people experiencing issues with grandfathered plans and features because these reps aren't as well trained/don't have access to the same options in their computers as direct Verizon reps. For some folks, the discount is worth it. For others, the lack of flexibility and potential hassle means they prefer to deal only directly with Verizon.

I do all of my orders online through Verizon. Just not worth the hassle if my plan gets borked through Amazon or similar, and I like having the flexibility to switch back to an old phone, or modify my plan whenever I want.

Reactions: PowerBomb
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I doubt I can get them to move up my loyalty credit but if I'm bored this week I'll stop at the corporate store and ask. If not I just have to wait 7 more days.

Something about dealing with Amazon or Best Buy just doesn't appeal to me, especially since like you said there are other terms and contracts that you have to agree to. I'd prefer to keep it simple and only have to deal with Verizon (which isn't always simple in the first place). Even if I have to spend a little more instead of getting a phone for 1cent or whatever, I will probably just go through Verizon.

Now that I know 4G doesn't cost more and I can still get unlimited data, I'm thinking I might want to take advantage of it and get something like the Tbolt instead of the DInc2 I was leaning towards.

Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones