• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[alpha] KubA engine 3D FPS needs testing

Hi there,
I've recently put up a small playable alpha version of an engine I'm working on (and that will hopefully soon become a full game), but I've only been able to test it out on my Phone and my partners phone (both LG brand phones), so I'm hoping to get some feed back on how it runs on other peoples phones and tablets.

Link to KubA FPS test on google play market

Some screenshots:
ss2hn.png

ss3j.png

scsht.png

If anyone could take the time to check it out and tell me how it ran on your device (write the name of the device and the OS version too), you would be helping me out a lot. The controls are written in the description on the google play page.

The game itself is going to be a First Person Shooter inspired by Doom and Smash TV, currently it's a bit of a never-ending FPS with a lot of respawning monsters, but once I find out if it actually works on other devices (or if I need to fix the engine some more), I will be adding a lot more features.

I hope you enjoy the tech demo and that it works well on your phone/tablet.

The test has been updated a few times since its first release, the app is onto version 1.3, the engine is at state 0.3 and I have finally rewritten the map editor to allow more interesting maps... though the main mapping engine is still based off cubes.
Also, the controls have been improved. Works great on Tablets.

Reactions: Mehta23
Downloaded to my nexus 7 is version 4.2.2 running pa custom ROM when I slightly slide on right side of the screen I do like 3 360s sensitivity needs a fix
jlede: Thanks for testing, I'm a bit surprised that the right stick is being so over-sensitive... if anything I thought it would be under sensitive... Odd. I'd say to hit the settings button and play with the turn speed, but that wouldn't help if it already moving about 4 times to fast... I've noticed certain roms handle float division slightly differently, so maybe it's that... I'll look over the code again.
Thanks for spotting that.

*quick addition*
Just looked through and found some integers divided by floats in the controls... Dunno why, LG phones don't seem to notice this... makes spotting glitches a bit annoying.

Upvote 0
Okay, just uploaded a version with a better contol system. The movement (left hand side of screen) is still imitating an invisible virtual joystick, but the look and turn controls (right hand side of screen) are now using more of a standard swipe method. I hope this makes aiming and moving around in general easier. Thanks for your comments, very helpful indeed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones