1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root AlphaRev Hboot table and Data++ ROM Flash?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by saltire, May 30, 2011.

1. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

Bit confused over the process of flashing say AlphaRev's CM7 hboot table and one of the GB Data++ ROMs? Have CWM 2.5.0.7, S-OFF and SD card partitioned using Gparted with 1GB EXT3 Primary. From what i've managed to gather the process is:

1 - phone into Fastboot
    2 - Connect to pc and flash, say, CM7 AlphaRev hboot img using Android Flasher
    3 - Reboot into recovery from Fastboot
    4 - Full wipe (data/cache/Dalvik)
    5 - Flash new Data++ ROM

But couple of things I'd thought i'd ask before trying. Have flashed a new radio via fastboot/android flasher and phone rebooted automatically. Will reboot happen after flashing new hboot table as ROM i'm currently running won't fit smaller table? Guess that would lead to a bootloop.

Is there anything I've missed?

Advertisement

2. Usta

Usta Android Expert

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    The steps you describe are correct.
    After flashing a new table, there will not be a reboot. So, you can jump to recovery and do full wipe. You can also immediately flash the new ROM straight from recovery. Only after all that you reboot the phone.

All this can also be done without a PC by using PB99IMG.zip files. Then all the action happens in recovery.

aabangia and saltire like this.
  3. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Besides the fact that data++ Roms are designed to fit in the data++ hboot table, which is a massive 50MB bigger than the cm7 hboot... its extremely unlikely that a data++ version of a Rom would fit.

I think you need to think through exactly what it is you want before doing anything

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Don't know android flasher as am not a windows person. But your old ROM is toast after changing tables anyway, as the memory mapping has changed. So you anyway need to either wipe & flash a new ROM or restore a nandroid of your old one (if it will fit the new table).

So whether the phone reboots automatically it not, you need to get into recovery. So get ready to press the volume down button when it rebooted, or you'll probably have to pull the battery.

5. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

Sound advice indeed. I want to see how much quicker Data++ is compared to A2SD ROM's I've tried so far. Leedroid and Insertcoin both have GB ROMs in Data++ flavours and judging by req's on the xda threads they'll fit the CM7 table (Leedroid min sys size of 90MB and Insertcoin directs to the CM7 table).

I know - will try a AOSP at some point :), it just looks a bit too bare for me at the moment.

Thanks for quick replies all.

6. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    I use a non a2sd setup. Performance is not noticeable from a high end card. If it is noticeable, its negligible.

Tags: