1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Already rooted questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bubleeshaark, Dec 10, 2013.

1. bubleeshaark

bubleeshaark Lurker

Hello everybody!

I rooted my nexus5 out of the box with 4.4.1, and now I've updated to .2. Last time around unlocked my bootloader and used SuperSU. Since the OTA update broke my root, do I have to unlock the bootloader again, or do I just do the SupetSU part again?

Thanks!
    Bubleeshaark

2. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

Basically, you probably need to both restore custom recovery and lash SU, but bootloader should still be unlocked. You can do it all manually, or something like WUG'stoolkit can do it.

3. bubleeshaark

bubleeshaark Lurker

awesome thank you!! Will I lose my data?

Edit: I used TWRP 2.6.3.2 hammerhead last time, will that work this time?

4. Hook

No, that only happens when you unlock the bootloader or wipe the data partition. Your data will be fine.

5. bubleeshaark

bubleeshaark Lurker

Thanks!

Downloading WUG's toolkit now. So basically, I checkbox "And also flash recovery" then press the Root button. Do I need to download the android 4.4.2 image to do this?

Then I need to flash SuperSU. It's already installed on my device, so how do I re-flash it?

Thanks!

6. Hook

Unless I misunderstood your first post, you have already installed 4.4.2 OTA and that's what broke your root, right? So, no, you don't need the 4.4.2 image. Once you have the recovery reinstalled and assuming you still have the SU files you originally flashed on your device, WUGs will open the recovery and you can flash them again. They will actually retain all the settings you had before (programs that used to have SU will have it again), but doing this re-establishes root.

That's how it worked for me on my Nexus 7 and 4.4.2 (on my Nexus 5, I have an alternate ROM and am waiting for the update of that).

bubleeshaark likes this.
  7. bubleeshaark

bubleeshaark Lurker

Thank you!!

I had UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65, but just downloaded UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.80. Will I run into any compatibility problems using the newer version?

8. Hook

I wouldn't think so-- it will just update. Worst case scenario, you have to re-allow SU to apps, but I doubt it.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Welcome to the forums!! :D

Follow Hooks advice and you should be good to go! :thumbup:

10. bubleeshaark

bubleeshaark Lurker

Thanks!

Everything worked great :D........

is there a nice place in here where I can find awesome Android Tweaks? Stuff like Switchr, Auto Hide Soft Keys, Action Launcher, etc.?

11. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Rooted Devices Only - Android Forums though admittedly it's not very active. :(

We'd love to get more active developers here.

12. mundane24

mundane24 Well-Known Member

edit: i basically just did what the OP did. read it here at wug's faqs ~ FAQs | WugFresh

im almost in the same predicament. i have 4.4.2 OTA ready to be installed (notification area on my phone). my phone is bootloader unlocked and rooted stock. hmm besides what the OP did, is there any other way of applying the OTA update without breaking my root?

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews