1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Alternative keyboards

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Dr4ke, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Dr4ke

Dr4ke Newbie

I recently bought an Xperia Z1 and my partner a Samsung Galaxy S4. I absolutely love my Z1 (previous iPhone user) but one thing that would make it better is the S4 keyboard; something so simple to have the numbers on their own row. My Z1 has Swype, which is excellent, I just want to change the layout more than I can do on the Z1's settings..

Is this possible?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Italo

Italo Android Enthusiast

Unfortunately, Swype can't be configured for a number key row, AFAIK.

I did find some keyboards that can be set up like that on the Play Store. I'm not sure if they all support gesture typing, if that's important to you.

Kii supports gesture typing and can be configured with a number row with a premium key.
    TSwipe
    A.I type keyboard
    dodal keyboard

El Presidente likes this.
  3. zipred

zipred Android Expert

As a recovering perfectionist (with little chance of recovery :)) a good keyboard is especially important for all the email and research I do. After trying many, I keep going back to SWYPE, with SwiftKey my second fav.

Both with pros and cons, it's the lightning speed I get with SWYPE that keeps me coming back.

4. Dr4ke

Dr4ke Newbie

Thanks both - apologies for delay, for some reason I didn't get a notification telling me about responses.

Swype must be configurable because the s4 has it ?

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

6. zipred

zipred Android Expert

Samsung Galaxy Series since the S, have all come with geniune SWYPE.

However it's not always the latest version. In that event, simply go to the Play store and download the latest rev since it won't show as an update on the device until you install the Play Store Version. It overwrites the OEM version. Once that's done your set for the long haul.

Hope this helps. Oh... and yes I AM a SWYPE addict :D

7. El Presidente

VIP Member

OakIris and zipred like this.
  8. zipred

zipred Android Expert

In one word... WOW !

Thank you so very much for this link.

The keyboard is my dream...

I had no idea that this was available, it's driving my excitement and satisfaction with Android higher and higher, the possibilities are endless :D

Cheers

9. Dr4ke

Dr4ke Newbie

Have a missed something? I can't use the hackers keyboard with my Z1 version of swype (I'm not sure what the Sony equivalent is called?). I really like this so I don't want a keyboard that cant work with it :( is it not possible?

10. El Presidente

VIP Member

You can't use it in tandem with the stock Z1 KB, you use it instead of.

You need to enable it in Settings -> Language & Input. Once you've done that start a text message or something that brings up the keyboard, then pull down the notification pane at the top of the page and hit Choose Input Method. Select Hackers Keyboard and you're set!

Not sure if it offers swype, but you definitely get a row of numbers at the top of the screen.

11. zipred

zipred Android Expert

Conversely for my use, when I get an idea for some code for one of my software projects, instead of having to get out my laptop, I can switch from SWYPE to this highly useful hackers keyboard and create the code fast and easy. Try that on an iPhone ha...ha...ha...

My mind is overflowing with ideas of all the terrific things I can do, now that I'm using Android!

12. OakIris

OakIris Member

Just downloaded the Hackers keyboard; I like it so far.

For others (newbies like me??) who might be puzzled, in order to get the number row, you have to hold your phone in landscape mode; in portrait mode, you still have to choose between letter input and number input.

Thank you for the link, El Presidente!

Holly

13. RK3350

RK3350 Lurker

If you hold the numbers key a bit longer, Swype will pop up a number pad similar to old adding machine (like right side of a computer keyboard that has number keypad)