1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Alternative to factory reset?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by DanielleN, Sep 27, 2011.

1. DanielleN

DanielleN Lurker
    None

Sep 27, 2011
    Alright, I messed up here. When I initially set up my android (Hero 2.1) I did not have the gmail account that I have now. I was with a couple friends who have the same phone as I do, and they were all just yelling things at me as to what to do to get my phone running smoothly. They got me to set up a gmail account, so I just made something up on the spot and never really thought about it again. Ergo: I did not realize until recently how very, very important this gmail account was. I set up a different gmail account a couple months ago, and have only now had some time to sit down and play around with this phone. This is when I realized that I should sync my new gmail up with my phone. Stupidly (oh-so stupidly) I deleted the one I had initially set up. And now it is not letting me sync my new account with my phone (it tells me it "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server). From what I have found so far, a factory reset may fix the issue, but of course, I now have no way of recovering my contacts, paid for apps (thankfully there are few of those), etc. Any thoughts on what to do here, or am I just going to have to suffer through and start from scratch?

Moral: Always pay attention when setting up your phone. First smartphone, I have learned well from you..

Advertisement

2. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Occupational Health Advisor
    Kildare, Ireland
    Did you just delete your gmail account from the phone?

If only from the phone then you should be able to add it again as far as I understand.

Go to menu > accounts and synch > add account.

Once you link it to your phone again then you can try this via your pc/lap top

How to Link Multiple GMail Accounts Together in 4 Easy Steps

3. DanielleN

DanielleN Lurker
    None

Sep 27, 2011
    Nope, deleted the account.

4. landovr

landovr Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Firefighter
    Alberta Canada
    Unfortunately the only way to change your gmail account on your phone you have to factory reset.