• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alternative to Nexus One?

kmand

Mar 12, 2009
I want a pocketable android device mostly for wifi use. It can be a phone, but I would only use it with a prepaid sim and no contract. It doesn't have to be a phone.

I also want to be able to track the latest android software without interference from the provider (currently 2.2)?

Does anything fit this bill other than the $529 Nexus one? It seems like a lot of money for a device that is about to go out of production.

Not really. The nexus is an increasingly difficult kind of android phone - running vanilla and able to be easily rooted, unlocked, etc.

The nexus is still being sold but will become something of a cult / collector's device.

I'm very unhappy that the N1 is going away. It truly was a developer playground phone. I loved being able to buy it unlock and off contract.

I hope that Google seriously looks at making a N2 and advertises it better.
Sprint and Verizon are also to blame in all of this.

Upvote 0
Google no longer selling the N1 doesn't make the phone out-of-date. I think (and I am a N1 owner) the N1 has at least a year before it gets left behind. I would guess it stays Google's favored handset until the release after Gingerbread, and then they will need to get beefier hardware on their 'dev' phone.

Upvote 0
I want a pocketable android device mostly for wifi use. It can be a phone, but I would only use it with a prepaid sim and no contract. It doesn't have to be a phone.

I also want to be able to track the latest android software without interference from the provider (currently 2.2)?

Does anything fit this bill other than the $529 Nexus one? It seems like a lot of money for a device that is about to go out of production.

I bought a Samsung Vibrant from Costco for $250 with no contract. The phone has a beautiful screen and good battery life, fast proc too. It could be a good option.

oh, and it is very easy to root the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones