1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Alternative to Nexus One?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by kmand, Jul 19, 2010.

1. kmand

kmand Member
    None

Mar 12, 2009
    I want a pocketable android device mostly for wifi use. It can be a phone, but I would only use it with a prepaid sim and no contract. It doesn't have to be a phone.

I also want to be able to track the latest android software without interference from the provider (currently 2.2)?

Does anything fit this bill other than the $529 Nexus one? It seems like a lot of money for a device that is about to go out of production.

Advertisement

2. daffyduck

daffyduck Guest
    None
    Not really. The nexus is an increasingly difficult kind of android phone - running vanilla and able to be easily rooted, unlocked, etc.

The nexus is still being sold but will become something of a cult / collector's device.

3. Chroma

Chroma Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    I'm very unhappy that the N1 is going away. It truly was a developer playground phone. I loved being able to buy it unlock and off contract.

I hope that Google seriously looks at making a N2 and advertises it better.
    Sprint and Verizon are also to blame in all of this.

4. Schwin97

Schwin97 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    Google no longer selling the N1 doesn't make the phone out-of-date. I think (and I am a N1 owner) the N1 has at least a year before it gets left behind. I would guess it stays Google's favored handset until the release after Gingerbread, and then they will need to get beefier hardware on their 'dev' phone.

5. Doon

Doon Member
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    I bought a Samsung Vibrant from Costco for $250 with no contract. The phone has a beautiful screen and good battery life, fast proc too. It could be a good option.

oh, and it is very easy to root the phone.

6. kmand

kmand Member
    None

Mar 12, 2009
    From various forums, the Costco deal appears to be over and was very hit and miss when it was on.