1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Alternative to s voice?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by cleft_asunder, Feb 14, 2016.

1. cleft_asunder

cleft_asunder Newbie

Galaxy s5 verizon. I need an app that is always listening, allowing me to make or receive a phone call hands free when phone is locked.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. I have the capabilityto make phoned calls (and many others) built into my Droid Turbo 2. It is done with some hardware that is dedicated to the purpose. It is always listening for the sound of my voice and the key phrase to launch.

I know that some Motorola devices have this capability (Droid Maxx, Droid Turbo, Droid Maxx 2, Droid Turbo 2).

I am not aware of the capability elsewhere.

I personally find it very useful to the point of almost being infectious.

... Thom

3. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

I use Google to do this all the time. I don't know if the S5 has the always listening feature or not though through the Google app.

electricpete likes this.
  4. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

"Google Now" can listen for your commands on any screen-- and that's the way I have it set up on my Galaxy S5.

To make Google Now always listen for the "OK Google" command from any screen, select....
    1. The "Google" app.
    2. Menu (by tapping on the 3 horizontal lines at the upper left).
    3. Settings.
    4. Voice
    5. "OK Google" detection.
    6. "From any screen" (tap the slider to turn it on).
    Google Now does not have the ability (I think) to answer or reject calls by voice (if you say "Answer" or "Reject") but that option is built-into the Galaxy S5 (and I guess any Android 5+ phone). To turn on that option:
    1. Open the "Settings" app (from the app drawer or from the notification menu).
    2. Under "Applications", select "Call".
    3. Select "Answering/ending calls".
    4. Check the box under "Using voice commands".

FYI: You don't have to turn off S-Voice but I've done so because Google Now is so much better, due to its integration with all the Google services. The only downside of turning off S-Voice (that I've noticed) is that if I command Google Now to play a specific song, group, album, or playlist, (e.g. "OK Google... Play Beatles Abbey Road album") it will do so using the Google Play Music app (which I don't care for) instead of the Samsung Music Player app (which I prefer).

#4 RazzMaTazz, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  5. cleft_asunder

cleft_asunder Newbie

Great info razz. I will try it your way. Currently i am using an app called voice dial and it works too.