1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Alternative Type C to Type C Charger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Foxspeed, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Foxspeed

Foxspeed Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    I could do with another charger for work but not willing to pay Google's prices for one. I see the ones on a popular auctioning site stating "fast charge" but the leads show Type C to Type A USB which surely can't be right for fast charge?
    Are there any good alternatives out there at good prices?
    Thanks.

Advertisement

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    You can usually get reasonable chargers on ebay - just be sure to buy from a seller with a decent rating.

The key thing to look out for is the charger output Volts and Amps. To get fast charge, you need a charger that is rated the same as the one that came with your phone, i.e. 5.0V / 3.0A. So long as the end you put in the phone is Type C, it shouldn't matter too much if the other end of the cable is Type A.

3. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    There are unfortunately a rather large number of Type C chargers and cables that don't fully comply with the USB spec and may even cause damage to your device, so I'd be careful about just picking based on a seller's rating. Some manufacturers have even released both compliant and non-compliant accessories so you can't even really make a selection based on a manufacturer's reputation.

Fortunately a Google engineer and one of the Nexus/Pixel TCs took it upon themselves to thoroughly test a bunch of cables and chargers so that you can be sure to get one that's safe. You can find their results here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml#

Also, your suspicion is correct - your 5X will only "charge rapidly" off of a USB-C charger. While other phones may use Qualcomm's proprietary Quick Charging technology and be able to charge quickly off of a USB-A plug, the Pixel only supports the rapid charging that is build into the USB-C spec. You can't rapidly charge a Pixel with an A-to-C cable.

#3 codesplice, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    lunatic59 likes this.
  4. Foxspeed

Foxspeed Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I managed to purchase an original Google Type C charger off a well known auction site. It's like brand new and costs me approx £8 including p&p.

codesplice likes this.