1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Altitude is not rite on App

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ScottGun, Nov 12, 2014.

1. ScottGun

ScottGun Guest

I have a Galaxy5 and I noticed my Activitie Zone App's Altitude was 650 feet off. So, I went to the ATT store an they could not help me. I refreshed the App and it said retreving information from internet and the reading was the same. rite after that I pulled up the internet and they Gave me the correct altitude. so I have no clue what internet my App is using. because my internet has said the same altitude for Aspen Co. is 7908 feet for the last 20 years and Activite Zone's internet is saying 7730 that is 178 feet off but i live up the hill at 8360 that is 630 off and the App clames to be accurate to 50 feet so am i to just live with it or uninstal it?????

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

Hi

I'm guessing, but I suspect the app uses the devices barometer to measure air pressure and calculates the altitude based on that. Unless it happens to be an "average weather" day where the pressure at sea level is actually 1013mb then the calculated altitude will not be correct. (If you find the reported altitude varies with the weather, then this is very probably the reason)

Some apps check the local air pressure (with a local weather station/airport) and correct for the actual conditions before they calculate altitude. They are pretty consistent eg https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.baggus.barometr

Roger