• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Always on Display & Notifications

Mojo88

Jan 24, 2022
Using Samsung Galaxy A13. I need a way to keep a clock active on the lock (EDIT: the black screen before the lock screen) screen (a viable 'Always on Display' app).

Plus I want something that will notify me (on the black screen before the lock screen) when I have a missed call or text or whatever. I find it incredibly annoying that Samsung got rid of the handy little notification light they had on the older phones.

Grateful for any suggestions. Thanks

Last edited:
Using Samsung Galaxy A13. I need a way to keep a clock active on the lock screen (a viable 'Always on Display' app).

Plus I want something that will notify me (on the lock screen) when I have a missed call or text or whatever. I find it incredibly annoying that Samsung got rid of the handy little notification light they had on the older phones.

Grateful for any suggestions. Thanks
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062636/

Upvote 0
I'm a little puzzled: the lock screen is only on temporarily, and I've never met a phone where it doesn't have a clock. So are you actually asking for a way to keep the lock screen on full-time? That would have a real impact on battery life, but it's the only way I can understand your linking of "lock screen" and "always-on display".

And it's normal for there to be an option to show notifications on the lock screen, so again I'm a little puzzled. There are various apps for producing some sort of pseudo notification LED from a spot (or ring, or whatever) on the display, but I've never used one so can't recommend one or say how they work with the lockscreen,

(I do agree that the notification LED was, for me, more useful than an ambient/always-on display. I think Sony still have them: they've basically based their pitch on keeping what others have rejected: headphone jack, microSD slot, a small bezel to hold cameras and LEDs rather than silly notches and punch holes. But they are quite pricey).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
You can only have an AOD, or raise to wake / double tap for a clock and notifications* on an Amoled display, afaik and the A13 has an IPS LCD display.

*Edit : On my phone, not Samsung, I can leave the clock always on in Sleep mode, or tap to see the clock for 10 seconds. Probably the same for Samsung Amoled displays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
AOD being limited to OLED makes sense, since the power saving is less with an LCD (the backlight is on behind the black pixels). But raise to wake or double tap to wake is possible on any phone (except perhaps real low-end models that lack an accelerometer). The only difference is that they'll wake to a lockscreen rather than an AOD.

I've owned HTC handsets with IPS displays and double tap to wake functions.

Upvote 0
Screenshot_2022-09-10-17-39-27-156_com.android.settings.jpg Screenshot_2022-09-10-17-39-15-884_com.miui.aod.jpg
AOD being limited to OLED makes sense, since the power saving is less with an LCD (the backlight is on behind the black pixels). But raise to wake or double tap to wake is possible on any phone (except perhaps real low-end models that lack an accelerometer). The only difference is that they'll wake to a lockscreen rather than an AOD.

I've owned HTC handsets with IPS displays and double tap to wake functions.
You're correct, I was forgetting.

I do have a function on mine where I can either leave the AOD clock always on, or bring it up for 10 seconds by also tapping. I presume Samsung has similar.

Upvote 0
SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My bad.

It's not the 'Lock' screen.... it's the black sleep screen (before the lock screen) that I want to have a clock AOD and notifications. I still don't know what that screen is called, and I've Googled it, LOL.

That word is for the privileged few. It's when the phone is asleep.

Apparently the new iPhone 14 Pro now has the option of an Always On Display,... like for the very first model.

I think we understood your original question. I downloaded the Galaxy A13 manual but there's no reference to it.

There wouldn't be, because an IPS or any LCD screen cannot turn off individual pixels. It's All for One...
It would have a more significant impact on the battery, even at a dim setting, than lighting just a few pixels dimly all the time, or for a set period.

Amoled screens light individual pixels.
Generally an Always On Display Clock will shift around the display, or used to, in order to prevent screen burn in, which I don't think is too much of an issue since Plasma TV's (many will claim otherwise, and that's fine).

Bottom line, I'm 96% sure you would need to have a phone with an Amoled screen. No third party apps would work as all the pixels would be turned on, so the phone may as well get out of bed and start the Lock screen. I hope that helps.

(See my previous reply)

Reactions: Hadron and Mojo88
Upvote 0
That word is for the privileged few. It's when the phone is asleep.

Apparently the new iPhone 14 Pro now has the option of an Always On Display,... like for the very first model.

I think we understood your original question. I downloaded the Galaxy A13 manual but there's no reference to it.

There wouldn't be, because an IPS or any LCD screen cannot turn off individual pixels. It's All for One...
It would have a more significant impact on the battery, even at a dim setting, than lighting just a few pixels dimly all the time, or for a set period.

Amoled screens light individual pixels.
Generally an Always On Display Clock will shift around the display, or used to, in order to prevent screen burn in, which I don't think is too much of an issue since Plasma TV's (many will claim otherwise, and that's fine).

Bottom line, I'm 96% sure you would need to have a phone with an Amoled screen. No third party apps would work as all the pixels would be turned on, so the phone may as well get out of bed and start the Lock screen. I hope that helps.

(See my previous reply)

Ahhh, crap. I just bought this stupid phone. My 1-year old S21 got bricked somehow, so I needed a replacement. On the S21, I did have Notification and Clock on the "TIME OUT" screen, so I 'assumed' it would be as simple as using the same apps as I was using on the S21, but when I tried using those apps, I got a popup that they wouldn't work, but no reason was given.

Honestly, I would not have bought this A13 if I had known this issue would happen.

I don't walk around with the phone in my face (or hand) all day. To me, it's a tool that I mostly use for call or text, and then set it down, and the little Notifications were just perfect. I don't want to have to keep turning on the Lock Screen to see if anyone called/texted............... ARGHHHHHHHHHH...

I may try to return this A13 and purchase something with AMOLED screen. As long as I have AMOLED screen, that would solve my problem?????????????????

Thanks

EDIT: I use T-Mobile, and I bought the phone at local store. Their return policy seems good, so I am gonna try this Samsung phone next: Galaxy A53 5G

I really appreciate the help gents, much obliged. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, it would solve the main issue.

I fully understand your exasperation. An Amoled screen was a feature of only the highest priced flagship devices in the past but now, especially in the last year, the majority of mid-range and a few budget level devices feature some sort of Amoled screen.

IPS lcd panels were obviously cheaper to source (IPS is the best form of LCD) and Samsung"s lower models start with that type (though Samsung make their own Amoled panels of varying spec).

Good news is the new A33, A53 and A73 have Amoled screens, if you want to stretch to those and they are available where you are.

The A53 is a step down imo from the model it's replacing, the A52s (not the previous A52). There have been good supplies of the A52s and if you can jump on one of those at a good price, I would.

The A33 is a good deal overall , while the A73 has a better processor than the Samsung Exynos in the other two (and the same one that's in the A52s, a Snapdragon A778).

Then the S20fe is still around even from Samsung, and the recent S21fe should start to reduce in price.

Google for the specification list from GSMArena, and or use another site Phone Arena to help with size and comparison between two or three models.

The A33, or the A52s would be my first recommendations if you want to not overspend.
BTW the A52s has a headphone jack and SD card support. The A53 family don't have a headphone jack etc.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a33_5g-11429.php

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...6628460429686&referrer=https://www.google.com

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...6628460429686&referrer=https://www.google.com

Reactions: Hadron and Mojo88
Upvote 0
Yes, it would solve the main issue.

I fully understand your exasperation. An Amoled screen was a feature of only the highest priced flagship devices in the past but now, especially in the last year, the majority of mid-range and a few budget level devices feature some sort of Amoled screen.

IPS lcd panels were obviously cheaper to source (IPS is the best form of LCD) and Samsung"s lower models start with that type (though Samsung make their own Amoled panels of varying spec).

Good news is the new A33, A53 and A73 have Amoled screens, if you want to stretch to those and they are available where you are.

The A53 is a step down imo from the model it's replacing, the A52s (not the previous A52). There have been good supplies of the A52s and if you can jump on one of those at a good price, I would.

The A33 is a good deal overall , while the A73 has a better processor than the Samsung Exynos in the other two (and the same one that's in the A52s, a Snapdragon A778).

Then the S20fe is still around even from Samsung, and the recent S21fe should start to reduce in price.

Google for the specification list from GSMArena, and or use another site Phone Arena to help with size and comparison between two or three models.

The A33, or the A52s would be my first recommendations if you want to not overspend.
BTW the A52s has a headphone jack and SD card support. The A53 family don't have a headphone jack etc.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a33_5g-11429.php

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a52s_5g-ampp-11039.php#amp_tf=From %1$s&aoh=16628460429686&referrer=https://www.google.com

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a52s_5g-ampp-11039.php#amp_tf=From %1$s&aoh=16628460429686&referrer=https://www.google.com

This is an extremely helpful reply, thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully you (or anyone) can answer the question I have on the "Always on Display" (AOD) included in a Galaxy A53 5G. Below is a copy of the User Manual (page 27), where they describe the functioning of the AOD.

This AOD is exactly what I want and need.... BUT ..... my big question is: does the Samsung AOD only pertain to the Lock screen, or is it on the Timeout screen? I want AOD to be on the Timeout screen. I realize there are apps that will likely get Notifications to display on Timeout screen (I was using them to accomplish this on my S21), but if its already built in, then that would be even better.

Galaxy-A53-5G-AOD.jpg

Upvote 0
@Mojo88

Yes, AOD is just that, always on the asleep / timeout screen with Amoled devices.

I don't know about getting written notifications, I have a Poco not a Samsung, but I can get customisable coloured flashes in from the sides of the main screen in lieu of a light.

Whatever you did with the S21 should be doable.

Ask a Samsung question / thread and owners may let you know.

(I didn't see the A53 manual and the image didn't come through, but I understood what you wanted)

Reactions: Mojo88
Upvote 0
That's interesting that you would both agree and say that the built-in Samsung AOD should/would show up on the Timeout screen, because I did an experiment with my S21 and I could NOT get the Samsung AOD to activate on the Timeout screen. It did, however, work just fine on the Lock screen.

Then (again, on the S21) I used my app called "aodNotify", and I got everything I wanted right there on the Timeout screen. But this was on the old, bricked S21, NOT my new A13.........

I am heading back to T-Mobile tomorrow to exchange this new A13 for an A53. I may try to get one of the others (A33 or A52s) that @Madd63 was so kind to suggest. But assuming they don't have those readily available, I will end up with an A53. I'd rather buy from local store just because of the ease of purchase/setup/return. Plus, the guy at the store is a cool dude, friendly and knowledgeable. And it likely helps that I toss him a $20 bill every time I go in there, haha. ;)

I will post results here when I have all accomplished (or not). Thanks again for all the help. You guys rock!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's interesting that you would both agree and say that the AOD should/would show up on the Timeout screen, because I did an experiment with my S21 and I could NOT get the Samsung AOD to activate on the Timeout screen. It did, however, work just fine on the Lock screen.

Then (again, on the S21) I used my app called "aodNotify", and I got everything I wanted right there on the Timeout screen. But this was on the old, bricked S21, NOT my new A13.........

I am heading back to T-Mobile tomorrow to exchange this new A13 for an A53. I may try to get one of the others (A33 or A52s) that @Madd63 was so kind to suggest. But assuming they don't have those readily available, I will end up with an A53. I'd rather buy from local store just because of the ease of purchase/setup/return. Plus, the guy at the store is a cool dude, friendly and knowledgeable. And it likely helps that I toss him a $20 bill every time I go in there, haha. ;)

I will post results here when I have all accomplished (or not). Thanks again for all the help. You guys rock!
Even with the AOD on all the time, that is a really odd thing to have completely to have it, build up like that with your time out screen as well, at least you are an odd feeling like it was nearly there though, at least you can try them all out too buddy.

Upvote 0
That's interesting that you would both agree and say that the built-in Samsung AOD should/would show up on the Timeout screen, because I did an experiment with my S21 and I could NOT get the Samsung AOD to activate on the Timeout screen. It did, however, work just fine on the Lock screen.

I'm a bit confused now, but glad you can upgrade relatively painlessly. I thought we were talking about a continuous clock on the display while the phone is asleep, (not used say for 10 minutes plus) which should be a built in feature.

I get my screen to flash for notifications I select. Samsung or that app may add the additional notification features you're used to. I don't know why it won't work now but I think our different terminology has screwed things.

You will know about the 3 additional OS version updates and 4 years of security patches Samsung promise from the date of first release, so the A52s is now one year on the market, but has plenty of update life left. Probably unlikely T-Mobile will have one though, and the A53 is a significant step up from the A13.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0
:p Yeeech...
I actually can get notification icons on my Poco's Always On Display. I hadn't bothered going back to change a clock face style for ages.:thinking:

Also the A53 Manual is a little ambiguous when it says you can choose receive notifications with Always On Display without unlocking the Lock Screen.

I'm sure it means while the phone remains untouched and asleep. Your S21 thing I don't know.

Im off to buy aspirin. You're off to buy a phone. I'm sure that sales guy can help you out with a demo. :D

(also bear in mind the A53 doesn't ship with a charger in the box)

Screenshot_2022-09-12-00-39-19-945_com.miui.aod.jpg Screenshot_2022-09-12-00-16-40-906_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Upvote 0
Well, thanks very much to all of you!!!!!!!!!!! I have my new A53 5G and it works wonderfully. I am using the Samsung AOD and it works perfectly, I have Clock and Notifications displayed on the "Timeout" screen. I used Samsung Smart Switch (a neat program) to transfer everything over, and I'm a happy camper. ;)

Again, many thanks.

OK, my final question is: what is the technically correct name for the 'timeout' screen??? :cool:

Upvote 0
Well, thanks very much to all of you!!!!!!!!!!! I have my new A53 5G and it works wonderfully. I am using the Samsung AOD and it works perfectly, I have Clock and Notifications displayed on the "Timeout" screen. I used Samsung Smart Switch (a neat program) to transfer everything over, and I'm a happy camper. ;)

Again, many thanks.

OK, my final question is: what is the technically correct name for the 'timeout' screen??? :cool:
Screen time out :) Ya welcome buddy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones