1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Always-on display turns off

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by teeheelee, Nov 6, 2019.

1. teeheelee

teeheelee Lurker

The Always-on display of my LG V30 no longer works in the dark. Its very annoying for many reasons as you can imagine. The AOD works fine in a lighted area, but in total darkness, it shuts off. It used to work fine, but at some point it stopped, and I honestly don't know if happened as a result of an OS upgrade or app installation or what. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

try it in safe mode and see if it still does it. safe mode prevents all 3rd party apps from running to determine if it is actually an app causing your issue. if it is still doing then, then i would do a factory reset.

lvt likes this.
  3. lvt

lvt Android Expert

I'm just curious, is the always on feature a built-in feature or it's a third-party app? Do you actually use a 3rd launcher?

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. teeheelee

teeheelee Lurker

thanks for the help! Unfortunately, it didn't work. I tried the safe-mode method and the factory reset and nothing has changed. One thing I should mention is that when I did the factory reset, I allowed it to connect to my home network and it downloaded and installed the latest OS update. Probably should have seen if the AOD would work with the baseline OS. Funny that I haven't seen much chatter about this AOD issue on the web. Am I the only one? Maybe I have a hardware problem...

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

yes it is cooked into the os of some devices. it is not an android os feature, but rather a manufacturer addon that also depends on the phone as well.
    well that sucks........not sure if it is. maybe go into your carrier and ask them.

lvt likes this.
  6. teeheelee

teeheelee Lurker

All - I solved the problem, somewhat accidentally. I happened to drop my phone and the impact cracked the screen protector I had on it. The cracked screen protector that i removed was not the type that was contoured to fit the curvature of the screen. I replaced it with one that was contoured to fit the screen and lo and below, my always-on-display started working. Apparently, my old screen protector was somehow fooling my V20 into thinking that it was in my pocket (?), thus shutting off the AOD. All is well now, and I think I'll keep the phone ;-).

LG V30 Forum

The LG V30 release date was September 2017. Features and Specs include a 6.0" inch screen, 16MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 835 processor, and 3300mAh battery.

September 2017
Release Date
Reviews