1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Always show the navigation bar? Completely disable fullscreen mode?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thedoctr, Aug 26, 2020.

1. thedoctr

thedoctr Lurker

So I searched a bunch for answers on this, but came up short – so sorry if this is duplicative.

Is there any way to prevent all apps from ever hiding the navigation bar? I ALWAYS want to see the navigation bar, full stop. I NEVER want fullscreen mode. Not in a game, not when watching a video, DON'T TOUCH MY NAVBAR!

Is this possible? Is it possible to get close?

inb4: I have exactly zero interest in switching to gestures. I try them with every new phone and new android version and while I won't say never, so far gestures don't do it for me. I want my nav bar. I'd like it to be more configurable, but right now I'd be happy if I could just get this demon machine to always show me my three little buttons.

ADB solutions welcome.

Thanks!

#1 thedoctr, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

just to be sure, you are talking about the notification bar, right? if so then i do not think you can do this. it will depend on the app which i believe most are optimized to be at fullscreen. curious as to why you need to see the notification bar?

3. thedoctr

thedoctr Lurker

Sorry, no I mean the navigation bar –– the three buttons on the bottom. I misspoke in the second sentence of the original post. Fixed now.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

ahhh i see......on my note 10+ in settings>display>navigation bar>there are some options there for full screen gestures. it might be different on the s20. if anything go to settings and do a search for the nav bar for more options.

5. thedoctr

thedoctr Lurker

Yeah no dice, the only settings option I can find are gestures, button order, and something called "single-tap navigation" which I enabled, but doesn't do anything as far as I can tell (I think it's related to screen reader mode or something).

Attached Files:

6. ocnbrze

ok that second screenshot was i was talking about. but it looks like you have it set right. so it goes away when you are using an app? is it all apps or just some? are you using a custom launcher?

7. thedoctr

thedoctr Lurker

Just some apps. Games, video players, my RSS reader app will hide it when scrolling content, sometimes others that I can't think of OTOH.

I'm using Nova Launcher. Thanks for responding, btw!

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. ocnbrze

hmmmmm that is weird maybe check their settings. it does not happen on my note 10+ much. but yeah movie players and games will turn off the nav bar, but i think for obvious reasons.

edit: youtube and netflix do not. well with netflix it turns it off when playing the movie, but when you tap the screen to pause, it will show up again.

9. thedoctr

thedoctr Lurker

Yeah, I mean I get why those apps think they should do that. I'll even buy the argument that most people _want_ the navbar to disappear in those situations. But I don't, so I'm wondering if there's a way to prevent apps going fullscreen all the time, no matter what.
    I basically want to disable the setSystemUiVisibility SDK call.

10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I'm not a dev of course, but I think you'd need to have a suitably modified custom ROM built to do that.

ocnbrze likes this.
  11. ocnbrze

the only way to do that is to root the the phone, unfortunately. and if you have the snapdragon version of the s20, then good luck with that. i do not know what else you can do to about the nav bar. i did find some navigation bar apps in the play store that might be what you are looking for. check them out and let us know which one works for you.

mikedt likes this.
  12. thedoctr

thedoctr Lurker

Welp, thanks for the help guys. Maybe someone will figure out a solution and post it here one day. :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  13. ocnbrze

check out some of those apps out. some of them looks really customizable and might be what u are looking for.

Samsung Galaxy S20 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S20 release date was March 6th, 2020. Features and Specs include a 6.2" inch screen, 64MP camera, 12GB RAM, Exynos 990 or Snapdragon 865 processor, and 4000mAh battery.

March 6th, 2020
Release Date
Reviews
Specs