• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Always shows a PRL Update when using *2

Awesome. Thank you for the quick reply! About how often should I actually check for these updates?

I check mine frequently, but, I've found that this isn't actually necessary, as the PRL Update will be pushed to your phone when one is available. This doesn't mean that it'll be pushed the very moment that it is available, but, if you manually check & one is available,it only takes a minute or so for completion. (Just like an application update from the GOOGLE PLAY STORE).

Also, when I allow for a PRL Update to be automatically pushed to my phone, I've had my phone spontaneously re-boot when this happens. So, don't be alarmed, just check for the update/PRL number change in SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > STATUS when this happens.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
PRLs are about network coverage and tower connections. If there's not much activity going on in your area and you've been using your phone the same way regularly, just wait for the Sprint push. Checking daily is certainly a waste of your time. If you feel the need to check though, once a week's probably more than enough.

Remember, Sprint and other carriers simply don't do that much tower work unless they're in the middle of the action. For many markets, PRL updates just don't happen all the frequently.

Of course if you're in an area like the NJ shore or NYC boroughs impacted by Sandy (or any other place where storm damage requires tower repair), checking daily might make sense. Same thing applies if you're right in the heart of an LTE rollout.

Most of us just don't need to check more than weekly though.

Upvote 0
PRLs are about network coverage and tower connections. If there's not much activity going on in your area and you've been using your phone the same way regularly, just wait for the Sprint push. Checking daily is certainly a waste of your time.
Remember, Sprint and other carriers simply don't do that much tower work unless they're in the middle of the action. For many markets, PRL updates just don't happen all the frequently.

Of course if you're in an area like the NJ shore or NYC boroughs impacted by Sandy (or any other place where storm damage requires tower repair), checking daily might make sense. Same thing applies if you're right in the heart of an LTE rollout.

Most of us just don't need to check more than weekly though.

THX for posting the PRL info,but,checking for said updates more than once a week a waste of time?Really?It takes all of one minute tops to check for a PRL update & I think we'd be hard-pressed to find anyone in this forum that is so time-compressed throughout their day that this isn't worth checking more than once weekly.

The possibility of a better data/call quality experience awaing one is more than worthy of 30 seconds of my time a day & I'm sure those long-suffering customers who are eagerly awaiting network upgrades of any magnitude would agree.

Upvote 0
THX for posting the PRL info,but,checking for said updates more than once a week a waste of time?Really?It takes all of one minute tops to check for a PRL update & I think we'd be hard-pressed to find anyone in this forum that is so time-compressed throughout their day that this isn't worth checking more than once weekly.

The possibility of a better data/call quality experience awaing one is more than worthy of 30 seconds of my time a day & I'm sure those long-suffering customers who are eagerly awaiting network upgrades of any magnitude would agree.

You're correct that people can check as often as they want. I just wanted to make sure people understood what they're checking and that it's unlikely in most circumstances that the checking's actually doing anything. There's just usually not enough daily activity to warranty constant checking. I used to check daily, especially as Sprint was bringing Wimax up near me. Both the field Sprint techs and the phone techs told me it probably wasn't necessary to check that often. In fact, I was checking for PRLs daily and my phone wasn't even seeing them. Sprint pushed them to me.

I guess I've just gotten into the habit of only checking when I know there's activity in the area, when there's notice online that new PRLs are available, or if my phone simply isn't connecting reliably. Seems that perhaps once a week was all I could ever really make sense of since most of the results were "your PRL has been updated." That wording comes up whether I wait a month or 1 minute betweeen checking. It comes up every time so I know there can't be something new every time I check.

Checking, getting the updated PRL message, and seeing no difference can actually lead to more frustration than just accepting that not that much is happening all the time.

Now, what to do with all those extra minutes of time:D

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Works for me. I'm pretty paranoid about keeping things up to date with anything I own technology-wise so I'm glad that its sort of out of sight and out of mind. I'm in the Chicagoland area and where I live my wife and I dont get the 4G reception, but walk down the block and BAM! 4G. Hopefully Sprint will extend it's 4G reach to my lovely abode sometime soon.

Upvote 0
This thread, this post, and the ones following by the same poster should help you to understand what the PRL is and what it does and does not do for your phone and service:
Androidforums.com | HTC Evo 3D - Sprint PRL Updates Thread

If this thread ^ doesn't help open your eyes to not checking for a new PRL daily, well then there is just no helping it. :D This thread is one of those highlight threads that happen every so often here on AndroidForums that go into my bookmarks and are not easily forgotten.

Sometimes I read posts about PRL and I am reminded of my bookmark labeled 'PRL MythBuster'.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones