• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am done with the Desire. Buying iPhone 4 tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have 18% battery left after 12 hours then you're certainly not clever enough for a smartphone, so perhaps the iPhone4 would suit you...

Please, this is boring now and has been done to death on so many threads, if you want an iPhone4 then get one, it's your choice or stop moaning about it!
I concur with you post but, the op can't afford the iPhone, as he said earlier! ;) kekekeke!! :D

Upvote 0
Shall we have a whip-round for him ? It might be funny just to hear how he gets-on with the "better battery life" and all the other points he makes (most of which are opinions quite a few iPhone4-owning friends would disagree with).
Had to google what "whip-round" meant and I would say it's a great idea!! :D

Upvote 0
Are you bored?

READ MY POST. I just agreed with the comment that the Desire was one of the best smartphones on the planet.

One thing I've learned coming to this forum is that Android users are no different to any other fanboys - deluded, blinkered and full of bulls#!t.

Having installed Swype and Dolphin HD today I am in a good place with my Desire. The fact that it is the only phone that I have ever owned to run out of battery in less than 12 hours with average use is a tad disappointing but I've learned my lesson - don't forget to take the charger to work. Oops.

Aside from grainysand addressing my "iphone can do what the Desire does" comment (excellent points btw) I notice that none of my points have been refuted.

The Desire most certainly does have some major flaws - the multimedia capture and battery life being the main culprits.

Still, it's a fantastic phone (as I have repeatedly stated) but then I guess the fact that I also like the iPhone 4 means that the Fandroids here will continue to froth and gnash at my heresy.

Silly, silly little boys.

Upvote 0
comments like "he's getting on my tits" and "you're not clever enough to use a smartphone" are a bit out of order. please try to keep this thread at a respectable level.

the iPhone is not for eveyone but neither is the Desire.

Fair enough. But this isn't the first thread where someone has taken the opportunity to slag off a phone for no particular reason. I don't care what phone anyone uses, but I don't understand the need some people have to post on a forum, dedicated to a particular handset, why they hate it so much.

Would you walk into a pub frequented by West Ham supporters and start spouting off about how rubbish they are and how much better Arsenal is?

Here's the question: If the OP has decided to ditch the Desire for something else, fine. Get on with it. But what was he honestly expecting to gain by posting about his decision here? He'd be far better off posting in an iPhone forum where the people there would tell him what a great decision he's made.

Upvote 0
READ MY POST. I just agreed with the comment that the Desire was one of the best smartphones on the planet.

One thing I've learned coming to this forum is that Android users are no different to any other fanboys - deluded, blinkered and full of bulls#!t.

Having installed Swype and Dolphin HD today I am in a good place with my Desire. The fact that it is the only phone that I have ever owned to run out of battery in less than 12 hours with average use is a tad disappointing but I've learned my lesson - don't forget to take the charger to work. Oops.

Aside from grainysand addressing my "iphone can do what the Desire does" comment (excellent points btw) I notice that none of my points have been refuted.

The Desire most certainly does have some major flaws - the multimedia capture and battery life being the main culprits.

Still, it's a fantastic phone (as I have repeatedly stated) but then I guess the fact that I also like the iPhone 4 means that the Fandroids here will continue to froth and gnash at my heresy.

Silly, silly little boys.

Eh? Where did all that come from?! I only asked if you were bored. Blimey charley... ;)

Upvote 0
Fair enough. But this isn't the first thread where someone has taken the opportunity to slag off a phone for no particular reason. I don't care what phone anyone uses, but I don't understand the need some people have to post on a forum, dedicated to a particular handset, why they hate it so much.

i don't think he said that the Desire was complete rubbish or that the iPhone was the best smatphone ever.

i guess he was hoping to vent his frustrations in a forum where people could maybe understand where he was coming from.

i like my Desire but it does sometimes annoy me with certain things. i'd certainly hope i could discuss those issues here without being called a hater.

Upvote 0
My Desire has no battery problem at all. I charge it at home and work when I'm not using it, so it's always available for me to do whatever I want at any time of day or night. Don't see what all the fuss is about to be honest.
Eh to each their own, lots of people complain that the Desire's battery is terrible, but I own(ed) a couple other devices that makes the Desire's battery look like a queen, the Motorola Charm's battery can't even last 6 hours and the LG Ally/Shine Plus is very unreliable on battery life and has that dreaded 50% bug.

I can easily go all day and go from 100% at around 7-8am and end up with 40% at 5-6pm. The Charm often died around lunchtime!

Upvote 0
Nope. Not by current standards. My N95 8GB and N86 took far better pictures. Years ago.
Yeah um... is this bad? That's taken with a Desire
IMAG0002.jpg

Upvote 0
Dreadful battery? ok.

two of my friends have iphone 4s and niether of their batterys out last mine.

but i hope you have fun in Restriction Village, please ensure to use your right hand when making calls and pay attention to the forums as there are many more confused and angry 12 year olds like you on there.

good day to you sir.

Upvote 0
Whats with all the fuss about the battery life, smartphones will always use more battery power than an ordinary phone. They have lots going on to keep them "smart" both when using it and in the background when not using it. The iPhone 4 is no different (oops sorry it is, its easier to replace the battery than the 3G).

My battery runs fine all day, I stick it on the Probit charger in the car on the way to work and then it usually lasts all day. You can always plug it in the computer via USB if you work in an office all day, that will keep it topped up.

Upvote 0
The fact that it is the only phone that I have ever owned to run out of battery in less than 12 hours with average use is a tad disappointing but I've learned my lesson - don't forget to take the charger to work. Oops.
Seriously now, have you looked in the battery saving threads and done what they've said?

What features/options do you have running i.e. e-mails updating every 15 minutes etc?

What do you consider average use?

I ask these to try and help you because I can easily go a whole day with average use and still have 50% battery left, but then I may consider average use to be less than yours, stating that the battery is dead without commenting on what could drain the battery isn't the way to go, especially if you're considering on buying a new phone, not because it's the iPhone but because you may well experience worse battery usage on those devices, purely because when people say that their battery lasts longer you don't know what they're using it for.

Upvote 0
You guys know that you can think two different phones are good, right? I mean, what are you all, five years old?

Agree. A bit too much fanboyism going on here... You made a choice of phone from your personal opinion - I think thats great, whatever floats your boat as you said in another post :)

I think much of the "iHate" comes from the fact that apple is doing everything to control their customers (so it seems from the eyes of android-owners at least). I kinda agree what that aswell :D

But really, it would be nice if you after a weeks time would give your honest opinion about having an iphone vs. a desire!

Upvote 0
But really, it would be nice if you after a weeks time would give your honest opinion about having an iphone vs. a desire!

If you read through the thread, he (rather predictably) changed his mind. He just likes lobbing stones into the pond and watching the ripples, methinks.

The thread was unnecessary from first principles. If you have useful information to impart, start a thread. If you have a question, start a thread. If you're umming and erring and can't decide which phone to go for, start a thread and we'll advise you. If you're bored and want to complain at people about the fact you didn't buy the right phone, don't start a thread. It isn't really our problem and you're wasting everyone's time.

Upvote 0
And I can't wait. Had a full day with one last weekend and spent the last week straining at the leash to have one all of my own.

As a "normal" smartphone user (i.e. one that doesn't need to barrel my way into the Linux subsystem in order to unclock the processorzzzzzzzz) I have found that the iPhone 4 does all that I want and does it better than the Desire.

So, I'll be taking my scratched camera plastic, choppy "720p" *cough* video capture and dreadful battery elsewhere.

It was fun for a while. Maybe I'll be back from time to time (not getting rid of the Desire) and will bore you with stories of how I love my new phone. Or maybe how it sucks and Im using the Desire again.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my posts.

idiot

shut the door on the way out

Upvote 0
You guys know that you can think two different phones are good, right?

Indeed. I like the HTC desire and the Blackberry bold.

I don't hate the iphone personally. I see the reason for it and why people like it.

Nah, its apple in general I hate, but thats another thread for another day, but yes - it mainly is a control thing for me because I am a tech tinkerer.

Upvote 0
Well, I started off with an iPhone 3g.. used it for 5 months.. sold it and bought the Nexus one. Unfortunately, lost my N1 couple months ago... bought the HTC Desire... and a week ago my uncle gifted me the iPhone 4...

1. Reception of the iPhone 4 is insane(where i get 4-5 bars on desire, i get 1-2 on the damn iPhone)
2. I agree the screen of the iPhone is b-e-a-utiful, but I have to lower the brightness if i want more battery life.
3. I get around 22-23 hrs battery life on my desire.(with sync on, wifi on all the time, around 40-50 mins of calling). Whereas the iPhone fetches me around the same time, but without any calling, without browsing, just some music and games.

If I were given an option, HTC DESIRE all the way. Iphone is just too boring.

Upvote 0
Not sure why people need wifi on all the time? *shrugs* Seems like a bad idea for any number of reasons, security being the main one!

I have to disagree with the comments regarding pics/video though! I have taken some stunning pics with my Desire, I have shot some decent HD/normal video on it also. Surely it is down to the person taking the shots and NOT the device? What's that old saying......A bad workman always blames his tools! ;)

Upvote 0
Here is a pic from my N95

http://imgur.com/nzeqd.jpg

As you can see it's far superior in quality to the Desire image. So, in this respect the Desire is at best on a par with 2-3 year old smartphone camera technology.

And for the sake of the Fandroids who say things like "What do you expect from a phone? The same quality images as a DLSR?" here's a picture from my N86 (and yes, I know it's more powerful but it is still a smartphone - not a dedicated camera) a piece of hardware I purchased over a year ago.

http://imgur.com/2i0H3.jpg

Of course, had I done my research properly I'd have known the limitations of the Desire's image capture. My fault. But the point still stands - the camera is not up to scratch with current smartphone cameras.

I'm not even going to address the video issue. Anyone who has directly compared video capture between the iPhone4 and the Desire knows the truth.

and Phenomenological, this is a forum for discussion - are we not discussing?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones