• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am i a heavy user?

Have used 120MB of data in the last two days. Luckily i get 2GB a month but the 3G watchdog app that i have states that i will go over by 310MB if i carry on with this usage.

Now i'm pissed off with the battery only lasting 10hrs tops but do you think that i over use the phone?

How do people cope with 500MB caps that Orange, O2 and Vodaphone cap at?

2gb allowance would give you just over 60mb per day as an average so you should be fine. I use between 20 and 40mb normally just through browsing, manual Twitter and Facebook updates and polling on Fotmob5 for football score updates. Got a 2.5gb allowance on 3UK but don't get near it.

Upvote 0
I can confirm that having your email account set to check frequently can result in a HUGE waste of data - that's what I found on my Hero. Having clocked up some enormous bills with Orange, with what I thought was quite moderate internet use, I eventually looked inside the folder on my SD card called MAIL (not somewhere you ever usually need to look) and noticed that there were multiple (10x) copies of some large files that people had sent me. It seems that if a largish file is slow coming in, and the phone starts to check mail again, it doesn't realize that it's downloading the same file again. My 2GB SD card was almost filled with around 10 duplicates of every attachment I'd received.

It seems to me that this is some kind of glitch, and I'm not happy about the huge data surcharges I've incurred.

I suggest leaving the "check mail" option at 15 or 30 minutes - you can always refresh the mail manually if you can't wait.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones