• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Am I a victim of data throttling?

It's hard to say, however it might be 4G Sucks in your specific area.

Here is why I say that:

At my house (outskirts of town) I get 2-3 bars of 4G LTE Service, HOWEVER, I only get 0.3 MBps down and 7.5 MBps upload speeds.

When I drive into town (different tower I guess) I get 20+ MBps download and 10-12MBps upload also with 2-3-4 bars of 4G LTE.

I think its the Towers tbh.

Upvote 0
It's hard to say, however it might be 4G Sucks in your specific area.

Here is why I say that:

At my house (outskirts of town) I get 2-3 bars of 4G LTE Service, HOWEVER, I only get 0.3 MBps down and 7.5 MBps upload speeds.

When I drive into town (different tower I guess) I get 20+ MBps download and 10-12MBps upload also with 2-3-4 bars of 4G LTE.

I think its the Towers tbh.

+1

Same experience, Me thinks not all towers are created equal.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I'm headed out of town tomorrow so I'll give it a try in all the different city's.

I did do some tests to see how much it effects the speed of browsing. I found that even at 3 Mbps, my browser is just as fast as when I am on my wifi that is 20Mbps. It almost acts like the processor just cant handle much more than 3. I then turned off my 4G and connected at 3G. I only get 750Kbps on my 3G here. That made a huge difference in browsing. Pages took about 3 times longer to load.

Upvote 0
One other consideration - found that some speedtest sites are not the most reliable. When testing my fios - the local tampa, FL site was giving me 4.5MB Up/Down - when I should be capable of 25. Have to choose a different server - and usually get very different results.

Regarding the speed test app - may want to try a different location/server.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones