• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am I being too paranoid with my battery life?

D

Deleted User

Im currently on my second captivate after returning my first one because it couldnt even last a full day with light use. The second one is a lot better but I'm still not seeing the "great battery life" that people seem to be getting. I'm just barely making it though the day under moderate usage.

Currently I'm at 70% 6h 18m 55s since unplug.
Display - 44% - 36m 53s
Standby - 21%
Idle - 14%
Mediaserver - 9% - 15m 35s
Everything else is under 5%.

Is this typical? Am i just being way too paranoid?

You've gone down 30% in 6 hours... you put on another 6 hours and your down to lets say 40%. Then another 6 hours puts you at 18 hours of use. If you've used your phone for 18 hours and still have a little bit of charge left... what's the problem? Do you ever sleep? put the phone on a charger for the night and start all over.

I feel like people think this phone needs to have enough charge to get you through your time on an island if you get stranded...

Upvote 0
Im currently on my second captivate after returning my first one because it couldnt even last a full day with light use. The second one is a lot better but I'm still not seeing the "great battery life" that people seem to be getting. I'm just barely making it though the day under moderate usage.

Display - 44% - 36m 53s
Standby - 21%
Idle - 14%
Mediaserver - 9% - 15m 35s
Everything else is under 5%.

This is typical and yes your being too paranoid. This si NOT a dumbphone or some lesser old smartphone. The most recent phones from HTC\Samsung drink battery like water. Its either your deal with the less than spectacular battery or get a phone with less "umph" ;) .

Upvote 0
While I realize that this is a smartphone and that i shouldnt be expecting wonderful battery life out of it as compared to a phone that simply makes calls or even my old first gen iphone, i dont feel like me putting about half an hour of use on the phone should drain the battery 30 percent. Yes my phone has been on for 6 hours (now almost 8), but i've only been using it for 30 minutes. and this was to check a few texts, and emails. obviously if i make a phone call, download apps, or web browse, my battery would be much lower than 70%.

Upvote 0
While I realize that this is a smartphone and that i shouldnt be expecting wonderful battery life out of it as compared to a phone that simply makes calls or even my old first gen iphone, i dont feel like me putting about half an hour of use on the phone should drain the battery 30 percent. Yes my phone has been on for 6 hours (now almost 8), but i've only been using it for 30 minutes. and this was to check a few texts, and emails. obviously if i make a phone call, download apps, or web browse, my battery would be much lower than 70%.
While yes you've only been using it for 30 minutes, your phone has been communicating with the networks, running the OS / status updates, ect.
You don't state if you have WiFi on or off, GPS on or off, Blue Tooth status, applications running in the background, ect.

The phone does quite a bit of stuff that we don't always see.

Upvote 0
well wifi, gps, and bluetooth are all off. the widgets that i have open that would be pulling data are beautiful widgets and twitter (both are set to update every hour). i also have syncing on for gmail. as for background apps, i dont think i have any that are using the cpu at the moment.

Upvote 0
Im currently on my second captivate after returning my first one because it couldnt even last a full day with light use....

How long have you had your new phone for? For me, and others from what I've read, battery life gets better as you use it. I'm on week 2 and I feel like my battery has steadily become more stout.

What is your brightness setting? As for background stuff I would get a task-killer off the market (ATK or something), even if you don't plan on killing tasks it will tell you what programs are running which is pretty useful. Also, I'd search a little bit on here on ways to improve battery there are a lot of good suggestions...I personally haven't tried any (yet) because I'm comfortable with my battery life. I do use a task-killer and have my brightness set to auto.

Here's a thread that you can read to compare your battery life too, just remember people use all sorts of different configurations and apps etc and don't always post crucial and pertinent information needed to accurately compare your battery life to theirs. http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/149225-itt-post-your-captivates-battery-life.html

Upvote 0
I have had this phone for 2 weeks. The first day or two, the battery seemed great (especially when I compared it to my first captivate). I got maybe 6 minutes of the display being on before a percentage drop. Of course this was with a fully stock captivate. But as soon as i put apps and widgets on it, battery life started to drop. Im not running all that much in the background besides a couple of widgets.
My brightness is on low all day long aside from the few times i need to view my phone when im outside.
I actually have read through that thread, but it doesnt seem to help too much because people are not posting the amount of time that a certain thing is being used. thanks though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones