1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Am I Blind?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jamor, May 27, 2010.

1. jamor

jamor Android Expert

I could of sworn there was a Swype thread rollin around here.

2. eipee73

eipee73 Android Enthusiast

It JUST got pulled...not sure why yet....

3. eipee73

Thanks for the tip. I hope they decide to tell us what just happened.

4. jamor

jamor Android Expert

Pulled? Is it illegal or pirated software? Hmm. Seems like 75% of the forum is already using it I wonder what happened.

5. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Android Enthusiast

Since it is not officially released and in Beta, I'm sure it's not totally legal and ethical to be freely distributing it to whoever wants it. It's called quality control and companies don't want their products to get in to hands of people they don't want to have it.

Maybe they are going to charge for it. Maybe they have a crappy beta, and don't want everybody to test and and get a negative view on it before it is officially released. Plenty of reasons for them not to have it downloaded freely from the internet.

6. alison03

alison03 Android Enthusiast

yeah what a bummer. I was getting a lot of tips from some good people here.

edit: I don't know how these forums work, so my question isn't sarcastic but just curious:

when there was other 'unofficial' things being downloaded (ie the evo hd youtube) the mods edited the first post and locked the thread down, but you could still read it. I am curious as to why this one was pulled altogether?

7. jamor

jamor Android Expert

I'm naive myself. I thought this program was being spread freely on purpose to gain popularity. Didn't know it was illegal.

Now that I'm learning, my guess is someone high up in the Swype developing team made a scary PM to the owner that required a pull.

8. Bundy

Bundy Android Enthusiast

My guess would be that the next thing you hear is that someone, like Google, bought them.

9. Steven58

i didn't do it...but i know did. it's not legal.

10. eipee73

Lol oops, i was unaware that it was illegal. Sorry to the AF guys if it caused any headaches.

11. ttamnedlog

ttamnedlog Android Enthusiast

Just get Shapewriter. It's just as good if not better.

12. veccster

veccster Android Enthusiast

Wow...I had no idea it was not legal. I pretend that I still don't know...

Swype is awesome! It's the first thing I show people who want to see my phone.

13. Red Leader

Red Leader Android Enthusiast

14. Randino

Randino Android Enthusiast

Sorry if I'm late, but that green looks nice on ya Steven, when did ya acquire that?

15. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Nobody was sure when the beta first leaked out, and it wasn't until Swype themselves made a statement on their support site here that the situation was clarified. The statement ends with this paragraph:

At least one other web forum has been contacted by Skype about this, so we don't want them adding AF to their 'hit list'.

Hope this clarifies the matter.

eipee73 likes this.
  16. gruss

gruss Android Expert

+1

17. Wotan

Wotan Newbie

Yeah, I love Shapewriter, too ... BUT ... I wish it had the Voice Input button like the OEM Keyboard. That's the only thing I find lacking. When I want to do Voice Input I have to long press the input field, choose the old Keyboard, etc. Bummer.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews