• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Since it is not officially released and in Beta, I'm sure it's not totally legal and ethical to be freely distributing it to whoever wants it. It's called quality control and companies don't want their products to get in to hands of people they don't want to have it.

Maybe they are going to charge for it. Maybe they have a crappy beta, and don't want everybody to test and and get a negative view on it before it is officially released. Plenty of reasons for them not to have it downloaded freely from the internet.

Upvote 0
yeah what a bummer. I was getting a lot of tips from some good people here.

edit: I don't know how these forums work, so my question isn't sarcastic but just curious:

when there was other 'unofficial' things being downloaded (ie the evo hd youtube) the mods edited the first post and locked the thread down, but you could still read it. I am curious as to why this one was pulled altogether?

Upvote 0
when there was other 'unofficial' things being downloaded (ie the evo hd youtube) the mods edited the first post and locked the thread down, but you could still read it. I am curious as to why this one was pulled altogether?

I'm naive myself. I thought this program was being spread freely on purpose to gain popularity. Didn't know it was illegal.

Now that I'm learning, my guess is someone high up in the Swype developing team made a scary PM to the owner that required a pull.

Upvote 0
I thought this program was being spread freely on purpose to gain popularity. Didn't know it was illegal.

Nobody was sure when the beta first leaked out, and it wasn't until Swype themselves made a statement on their support site here that the situation was clarified. The statement ends with this paragraph:

P.S. Our lawyer has asked us to remind everyone that Swype does not explicitly or implicitly condone the unauthorized copying and distribution of the Swype software and to inform you that the Swype software is proprietary to Swype, Inc., is the copyrighted work of Swype, Inc., and Swype, Inc. has and always will reserve all of its rights.
At least one other web forum has been contacted by Skype about this, so we don't want them adding AF to their 'hit list'.

Hope this clarifies the matter.

Reactions: eipee73
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones