1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

am I completely SOL?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MrAdos, Dec 2, 2011.

1. MrAdos

MrAdos Newbie

Hello-

New to the forum.. obvious reasons.

I

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. istolvampire

istolvampire Android Enthusiast

Sounds like you should flash the sbf file with RSDlite and just start over. Flash the SBF file and then reroot the phone using whatever you like to root(superoneclick) in your case.

After you root download rom manager app and flash the clockwork recovery so you have a custom recovery and can make backups or flash roms.

If I was you I would use the phone (clockwork will do this) and reformat the sd card. You WILL lose anything on it so move anything you want to a computer first as reformating will wipe the sd card.

Now if you want to flash a custom rom. Put the Custom rom on sd card (that has been reformated) and reboot into clockwork recovery. FIRST use clockwork recovery(that you already have installed by now) and make a backup. Then do a wipe data/cache BEFORE flashing a custom rom but don't exit clockwork. In other words, wipe data and cache and then flash the custom rom you have on the sd card before rebooting the phone.

You should be fine from this point but just remember before you do ANY serious modifying on the phone make a backup and save it to your computer as well as sd card so you can always go back to right before you messed up. Also when you finally get the phone where you want it make a backup.

You can find directions to using RSDlite and a copy of the stock sbf file with an easy google search or on these forums.

Let me know if you get stuck and myself or someone here will be happy to help.

I would try to fix the phone as it is now but honestly you have done a lot of stuff to try and fix what might have been simple at the time so a clean slate is probably best.

Best of luck and don't worry because this phone is almost impossible to brick. Believe me I have tried.

MrAdos likes this.
  3. MrAdos

MrAdos Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I'll give it a try and report back.

4. MrAdos

MrAdos Newbie

OK. I flashed the SBF using RSD lite and re-activated my phone.
    The good news: the phone works! ( but, I have not re-rooted yet)
    The bad - the Droid is telling me that the SD card is damaged. When I try to format it using the phone, it doesn't work.

I tried to read the card via USB card reader, but I keep seeing "Please insert a disk into drive E:".

Any other suggestions on how to fix the card? or should I just buy a new one?
    Thanks again for your help!

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

That is most definitely not good. I was actually going to reply that you just try formatting the SDCard first, as it sounds like that was the issue, and now I wish I had.

You could try one of those data recovery tools like Recuva or Pandora, but I'm betting they will not work since the OS does not even recognize that the card is inserted.

Hmmm. Have you tried cleaning the physical contact points on hte SDCard with a cotton swap and some rubbing alcohol (iso-propanol)?

6. istolvampire

Might try the sd card on another computer. Some sd cards can be picky about the device the get inserted to. I have had this happen more than once. Also check disk manager to see it the card is able to be seen from there.

7. MrAdos

MrAdos Newbie

Maybe I'm confused.. The Droid now recognizes the card - it just tells me that it is damaged.

A few days ago (before re-flashing the SBF) I tried to read the SD card directly using a card reader on both my home PC and my work laptop - no dice either time.

The PCs "recognize" it - in the sense that I get a pop-up to the effect of "mass storage device detected"; but when I click the drive under MyComputer - I get: "Insert a disk into drive E:".

There's nothing really important on the card that I'm aware of. So starting from scratch wouldn't be the worst thing - I was just hoping that I wouldn't need to fork over the $30 for a new card.

I'll give disk manager a shot tomorrow ( and the cleaning with iso-propanol tip)... in the meantime, I'm just keeping my apps to a minimum.

I didn't think these cards could get fried? I'm still not completely sure what happened..

8. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

You might go ahead and try the rest of John's suggestion, i.e. remove the card, clean the contacts and try again. But when I read that your iSyncr app just stopped tells my gut that either the stopping of the app in the middle fried your sd card, or it dies and that's why the app stopped. How big is your sd card? I've read that even though the A855 will handle a 32gig card, once it starts getting a bit full, things go wonky. Perhaps even so on a 16gig.

But, yes, sdcards can get fried.

good luck

9. MrAdos

MrAdos Newbie

The SD card is the original 16 GB that came with the phone when I bought it.
    I don't think I ever pushed it past 12 GB as far as spaced that I actually used. I tried Disk Manager, no help. I just moved - so I haven't unpacked the rubbing alcohol box yet... but it sounds like that is my final chance or the card is indeed fried.

Thanks again for your advice.

10. MrAdos

MrAdos Newbie

OK, well after determining that the SD card was shot, I convinced the manufacturer to send me a new SD card, and I reflashed to FRG83G using RSDlite. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought is was going to be. Somehow the OTA update to FRK76 was downloaded (probably my fault, but I don't recall accepting it..), I digress.

So now, I'm waiting for my new SD card to come in the mail; and I have unrooted, stock FRK76. I tried rooting using SuperOneClick 1.7 Rageagainstthecage (saw that idea on this forum) and it didn't work. I think I'm having trouble getting the ADB set up...

So, is there anyway to get rooted again? I saw an .SBF for clockworkmod Recovery, but does that wipe the OS (not a huge loss..)? I'm sorry for being such a novice, but I don't really understand. Appreciate the help if someone can jump in with a tip. Thanks!

11. istolvampire

I believe the method for rooting you tried was for the latest update (2.2.3) not what you are running. Try a different version of superoneclick. I might be wrong as I do not know which thread you were reading. Also some said they did have luck with the other option in superoneclick (not rageagainstthemachine) but can't remember what it is called but it is the default option, or was.

If all fails you can flash the very old 2.1 sbf and I can send you an app that will root you in a click but it only works with 2.1 sbf.

Sorry I am not much help as it has been a long time since I rooted this phone.

12. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

May as well wait until you get your new sdcard, but two things. One, you do not have to flash back to 2.1, though it will work, it's the long way around the barn. Two, I always prefer rooting the 'manual' way, as the superoneclicks in the world are nothing but a script the runs all the manual commands for you; one slight change and it breaks.

I have some guides to root the manual way, link in my sig.

good luck

13. istolvampire

I wasn't referring to superoneclick. I have an older app that only works with 2.1 that is like super but not. Though I agree the manual way is always best.

14. MrAdos

MrAdos Newbie

Thanks for the Reply's folks. I finally rec'd my SD card and they gave me a class4 instead of the class2 that it came with (bonus!)

@Teddyearp - I tried to open the links from your signature and they don't appear to be working.. is there somewhere else you recommend?

@istolvamprire - Can you send me the app just in case?

I think I'll pull the trigger this weekend one way or the other.

Merry Christmas!

15. istolvampire

Sent you a private message with the link

16. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

Links fixed.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews