• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am I doing something wrong...? Force Closes

bushor

Apr 10, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for you're time... this is my first post on here and I've tried to research it through previous forums to the best of my knowledge but I have not come across anything. I got the droid about a month or two ago and to date I LOVE it... the ability to customize it and the applications available are amazing. My issue though is the force closures on several applications, the ones i've had issues with are handcent, homerun battle3d, visual voicemail and helix launcher. I may have left one or two out but those are the ones I could remember off the top of my head... I emailed the developer of handcent and they were very fast in responding to my email and we spoke over google talk today at length. We were unable to figure out the problem for sure but after I did a factory reset, handcent now works again... thankfully because I love this sms app!! I'm not sure about homerun battle and helix cause I no longer use either, but the factory reset fixed visual voicemail as well... After doing the f.r and handcent working again... spoke to the developer again and was asked if I had any other sms apps on my phone. Now I did have chompsms on there at one point and I was advised that this is a possible reason for the f.c issues with handcent.

If this is true I would like to ask you guys who are more tech savvy than I if I'm installing certain programs on my phone that are causing the force closes... Any help would be great, thanks for you're time!

Hey guys, thanks for you're time... this is my first post on here and I've tried to research it through previous forums to the best of my knowledge but I have not come across anything. I got the droid about a month or two ago and to date I LOVE it... the ability to customize it and the applications available are amazing. My issue though is the force closures on several applications, the ones i've had issues with are handcent, homerun battle3d, visual voicemail and helix launcher. I may have left one or two out but those are the ones I could remember off the top of my head... I emailed the developer of handcent and they were very fast in responding to my email and we spoke over google talk today at length. We were unable to figure out the problem for sure but after I did a factory reset, handcent now works again... thankfully because I love this sms app!! I'm not sure about homerun battle and helix cause I no longer use either, but the factory reset fixed visual voicemail as well... After doing the f.r and handcent working again... spoke to the developer again and was asked if I had any other sms apps on my phone. Now I did have chompsms on there at one point and I was advised that this is a possible reason for the f.c issues with handcent.

If this is true I would like to ask you guys who are more tech savvy than I if I'm installing certain programs on my phone that are causing the force closes... Any help would be great, thanks for you're time!

I have never had a FC with Handcent SMS. I had to uninstall Homerun Battle (free trial edition) because it would FC upon opening every time. I had a lot of FC's with HelixLauncher, but I also had HelixLauncher for almost a month and a half. I usually got the FC's with HelixLauncher when exiting an app, but it wasn't consistent. It would just happen every now and then. Visual Voicemail would FC on me all the time when I had it set to store VM's on the SD card. When I changed that setting to store VM's internally, the FC's went away.

I would suggest using LauncherPro as it is the #1 hands down best launcher I have ever seen! It is fast, has a 3D app drawer that actually works and I have never had a FC with it.

I would suggest not installing Homerun Battle. I have all Visual Voicemail and Handcent and don't have any FC's with either of them now.

Performing the following steps will allow us to better help you:

I suggest going to AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market and creating an account. Then scan the following QR code with your barcode scanner and download the AppBrain app.

Open the app and choose manage apps (at some point, you may be required to sign in using your Google credentials). Then select "Sync With AppBrain".

Next, go back to AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market and click on "My Apps" located at the top of the page, just to the right of the AppBrain logo. On the right side of the My Apps page, you will see "New! Get this app list and reviews". Just under the box that has the code to copy, click the selection bubble to select BBCode. Then, highlight all of the text (code) in the box (left click and hold, drag down to the bottom) and either press ctrl+"c" (control plus the letter c) or right click and choose copy. Finally, reply to this thread and press ctrl+"v" (control plus the letter v) of right click and choose past.

This will list all of your installed app here and that will allow us to see what you have installed. Then, we might be able to tell if there are apps that may be conflicting with each other installed on your phone.

If you have any questions about this app or how to use it, feel free to ask here or PM me. I am very willing to help you do this.

img.php

Kratos

P.S. Using AppBrain on a regular basis and keeping your AppBrain account sync'd with your phone is a very good and recommended idea. If you ever switch Android based phones, have to perform a factory reset, or root and install a custom ROM, you can use AppBrain to reinstall all of your apps quickly and easily! Just an FYI.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones