1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by likeurface, Aug 23, 2011.

1. likeurface

likeurface Lurker
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    I have recently been having trouble while flashing ROMs. For example, I was running CM7 and decided to try out MIUI. After I wiped cache, dalvik cache, and data I flashed the MIUI ROM. But for some reason, it did not work (kept giving me boot loops). I have a custom kernel as well (tiamat 4.0.6) and theme for my CM7. Is it possible that these things are causing me to have bootloops, or am I just doing something wrong? I noticed that even when I restore to previous NANdroids, I still have the same kernel as before the restore. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    It sounds like you're not wiping everything between flashes. Always wipe each of these twice (preferably in Amon Ra recovery):

factory reset/wipe data
    cache
    dalvik cache
    system
    boot
    sd android secure

I've been told many times that a lot of a ROM is stored on "system," so not wiping that can be a major issue.

Also, there are tools like the vr superwipe that will wipe all those for you. (I flash this after wiping all of the above twice, then I flash my ROM... super-overkill on my part, but I like to be thorough. :) )

dahmwern, likeurface and ocnbrze like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    like justsomedude said, use amon ra if you are not already. i only wipe data, dalvik cache and cache three times and then run the vr superwipe then flash the rom. if you need help switching recoveries then you read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/395962-guide-rooting-gingerbread-revolutionary.html. it has a section on switching recoveries as well as how to flash a rom.

likeurface likes this.
  4. likeurface

likeurface Lurker
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    It works now. I was just being stupid and flashed my theme right after I flashed the ROM, which was causing the bootloops. Thanks for everything though. I guess I should troubleshoot on my own before creating a new thread for every problem I run into, this is rooting after all

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    it is rooting after all you are right. but if you do have any issues please feel free to ask. it will not only help you but also others. so now worries. how do you like miui? i might have to flash it again at some point.

6. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    You should. I was check XDA and it seems that a week or so ago the miui team released a new version. LOL it was called ImissU or something like that.

7. likeurface

likeurface Lurker
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    It is nice so far, but I think I may go back to Synergy or CM7, Im not really digging the iOS look. But it runs very smoothly(its at 1.1 Ghz default). You should try it out.

8. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    ^ Try it with ADW or something. That is my first MIUI move. Still can't get rid of the menus and settings though... so that's a bit tricky.

Tags: