1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Am I fat?

Discussion in 'Android Fitness & Health' started by mayo64, Feb 12, 2018.

1. mayo64

mayo64 Lurker

My parents think I'm underweoght and skinny af, especially my dad but to be honest I really don't think so. They're so convinced to the point that they're trying to make me gain weight from unhealthy foods. Seriously. It's making me think that I'm looking at myself through an illusion and my perspective can't be trusted so I wanted to see what some other people think, apart from my family, about my appearance. Here is a photo for reference.

Also I work out every week, three or two days in which I strength train and every other day, cardio.

Attached Files:

#1 mayo64, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2018
    Member243850 likes this.
  2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

If you live in the US probably. It's the new normal.

3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I've quoted this because you've posted using white text on a white background, which is a bit difficult to read.

No, you are definitely not underweight. There are different cultural perspectives on this, so I don't know whether there is something like that behind your parents' perception, but medically speaking you are not underweight.

Mikestony likes this.
  4. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Fixed the white font as I couldn't see it either :D Hope it appears ok.

Hadron and lunatic59 like this.
  5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Perhaps it might help to do some research on body/weight issues so you've got something more than opinions to discuss with your parents. This might be a start:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index
    There's just so many cultural factors that can and can't be applied it's mind boggling.

6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Speaking as a parent, parents are notoriously reality impaired when it comes to their children. I'd ask your doctor for the definitive answer here. A bunch of random people looking and an incomplete picture on the internet aren't going to be able to tell you too much.

You appear to be heavier than a pygmy marmoset, but thinner than an elephant seal, if that helps. ;)

Dannydet and svim like this.
  7. Terry Dai

Terry Dai Lurker

I think you just need to keep at that weight. You don't need to be too fat or too thin.

8. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

@mayo64 That's far from fat but not even close to skinny.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

OP hasn't been seen here for over a year. Hope he managed to realise he's not fat, or underweight. Just normal.

lunatic59, tube517 and dontpanicbobby like this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

11. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

There is no "normal" since every human being is different to some degree. There is "average" which may or may not be optimal and then there is "optimal" which should be the ideal weight, if weight is the only determining factor for health.

I use simple rules. If excess weight is interfering with the lifestyle you want to lead, then you are over weight. Or, if when you go to the beach PETA shows up to rescue the whale someone reported, then you might also have a problem. ;)

Deleted User likes this.
  12. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

The problem with BMI is that it was shown more than a decade ago that the waist measurement by itself is a better indicator of cardiac risk than the BMI is. It's an example of trying to boil a multi-faceted problem down into one number that has to be simple to calculate, and then sticking with that number even though it's not very good.

Now I can tolerate crude metrics as long as they are understood to be "probably better than nothing". The problem comes when they are put in the hands of someone who takes them as gospel and isn't able to recognise or accept their limitations because they have a script they must stick to.

lunatic59 likes this.
  13. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Hmm..If bones are seen: Skinny.
    Not even breast bone: Fat.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

6 pack visible: Ripped

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  15. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Not even once in my life.
    5'10" & way under 200 pounds
    Well maybe back in the 90's but still...
    Not fat.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

The only time I got a vague impression of a 6 pack was after I'd done 6 months intense training for a half marathon. And I looked *really* thin, like unhealthily underweight.
    Anything more than wafer thin fat layer on the abs means they don't show.

17. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Wish I look like that.

18. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Raggamuffin
    He impressed me
    .Gigaman

19. Bro I won't lie to you. Yes you are fat, but not much. Keep training and eating healthy

20. I think you look good, you are definitely not underweight but you have no excess weight. It depends on how many years you are. If you pump up you can become a slimmer model of a magazine cover or you can stretch the stomach and become shapeless mass, Anyway, it is your choice. I think you see people around you and you understand reality. Maybe your parents have such a style of life that they are predisposed to transmission and completeness and that's why they try to learn you the same. That's doesn't mean they are bad parents, they just have their own opinion and outlook on life. If they want you to eat more show them proper nutrition from https://www.modernfit.com/programs/. There are many diets that offer to eat the right products and keep your health and body normal. And they have nothing common with calorie deficiency and nutritional restrictions. So you can show them that you can eat enough food and stay healthy and fit.

#20 MrMorrison1988, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020