1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Am I missing something? OTA update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by charming_fox, Sep 18, 2011.

1. charming_fox

charming_fox Lurker
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    Ok, so i've had a Desire S for about 3 months, and it's been great, and over those 3 months the phone has morphed into my personal assestant in virtually everything. Every now and then there's been an update which has had little to no noticeable effect until today when it updated a big one and wiped absolutely everything.... EVERYTHING from the phone. Now, unless I want to spend the next 3months gettting it back to how i'd come to rely on it what am I supposed to do? Am I missing something or is that the single stupidest thing in the history of everything. The thing's going to find itself on ebay if there's no easy way to get everything back. Please! Does anyone have any advice! I don't care if it's sarcastic or demeaning I just need some form of help!

Advertisement

2. charming_fox

charming_fox Lurker
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    contacts, swype, dictionary, texts, photos, emails, accounts, apps, homescreens, backgrounds, every single settings or feature you can imagine! All gone! How can this be possible? How can updates do this without any kind of warning and how are you supposed to differentiate between an update that's going to 'do you in the rear' from one that's just an innocent background thing? Honestly, if this is how Android is supposed to work...

3. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    To my knowledge, there's only been one update of the phone's ROM for each carrier, so perhaps you're only referring to the updates for your apps. If so, one of those could have caused a conflict on your phone. It could have been badly written or conflicted with another badly written app or process. Without knowing which apps you've downloaded it's not possible to say what caused the problem.

Can you give us more detail regarding the update that you think caused this problem, i.e. what exactly was it updating?

N.B. Smart phones are computers. So, like computers, the same precautions should be taken regarding regular back-ups/syncing of data and anti-virus/malware scans, etc.

4. surfa14

surfa14 Newbie
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    Could this have been early testing of the OTA update that everyone has been going on about??? I emailed HTC ref the OTA update so will see if there is an 'official' update due for Sense and Android OS.

5. notebook

notebook Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    I don't think so. The Android 2.3.5 with Sense 3.0 update was released OTA last week.

Tags: