1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Am I on the right path of upgrade?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by UniqueProblem, Sep 7, 2011.

1. UniqueProblem

UniqueProblem Newbie

I just updated the firmware to KE7. I want everything to be official no leaked updates.

Does this description stamp ok? or has the update not been completed?

android version: 2.3.3
    baseband version: I9100XXKE7
    KERNAL VERSION: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKF3-CL276555root@dell101 #2
    build number: gingerbread.xwkf3

I am a newbie to android.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert

updated to KE7? looks like u updated to KF2 :) did u update via Kies?

3. UniqueProblem

UniqueProblem Newbie

Yes via Keis, Has it updated wrong?

4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

If you updated via Kies then it can't go wrong. That will be the official firmware update for your device/carrier/locale.

UniqueProblem likes this.
  5. UniqueProblem

UniqueProblem Newbie

I was just concerned because while I am searching through the Net I see so many different build numbers, Kernal Versions and baseband versions. So I was just not sure if I was on the right path.

Thanks.

6. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert

yeah, it should be fine then. i notice u mention that u want to stick to official firmware. u can flash via Odin, the firmware will still be original, stock, official :) and the latest updates have made huge difference in battery life. however, if ur happy with KF2 (wat ur running at the moment) stick with it ;)

7. UniqueProblem

UniqueProblem Newbie

I have downloaded Odin3, but can you advice what would be the latest and correct firmware to download? with so many out there I am not sure which one is right. As I see there are xxxKH4 KG5, KG6. Geez I want a new phone I get the latest phone and so much to learn although not complaining. Where are the days of Nokia 3210 lol answer call and hang up.

P.S you guys are a big help here. I posted my questions in other forums no help. So Thanks.

8. biffsmash

biffsmash Well-Known Member

I upgraded mine via Odin to KG5, and while it was a little faster, it was not as stable, with Facebook and Youtube crashing on me the odd time, and a stupid Iphone copying camera animation when taking pictures that slows down the process. It was also, no better on battery, maybe a little worse. So I put KF3 back on and all is well again in phone land.

9. UniqueProblem

UniqueProblem Newbie

@biffsmash that's what i mean if I go download a crap firmware to get the 2.3.4 version and then go back and forth till i get the right one.

10. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

just eperiment a little, does no harm. KF3 to KG5 was not great for biffsmash, I went from KF1 to KG5 and have noticed a huge improvement in stability/performance/battery.
    it seems different people have different experiences.
    the beauty of odin etc is that it's easy to switch back and mix and match.

11. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert

as u mentioned sticking to official stock firmware, i recomend KG5. its the newest official firmware, runs android 2.3.4 and has great battery life compared to all the others ive tried, and ive mainly heard good things about KG5.. so i recommend that

12. UniqueProblem

UniqueProblem Newbie

After I install a custom ROM and if I don't like it, can I install another custom ROM on top of the other or do I have to go back to it's original settings and then install the new custom ROM?

13. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert

i think its recommended to do a wipe before installing another custom rom

14. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast

Does firmware KG5 still have Wifi Sharing (part of Wifi direct) running in the background all the time and restarting itself like KE7 does? If left unchecked (task killed ) this becomes the 2nd or 3rd battery usage item on my SGS2? Is this why the battery performance in KG5 seems better because they have fixed this? I am waiting to confirm this has been fixed before I update firmware?

15. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

it has gone in kg5

EDIT. actually, still appears in titanium app list, but never seems to be activated like it did on KE7

DaveSyd likes this.
  16. stephen2529

stephen2529 Newbie

Hi everyone.
    Im in the sane boat really. Thinking of going to uk version of kg5. Kies is taking ages. Trouble is there are so many roms around and I can't Decide which is the right one. Can someone please put up a link to the correct one. Sorry to be a pain I'm just not that confident I'll get the right one. Would love it not to wipe all my apps and data too if possible. Thanks in advance

Steve

17. biffsmash

biffsmash Well-Known Member

I probably come across a bit rude on forums lol so if I did I apologise hehe.

As for the roms, installing them is a doddle, and they do seem to work fine. I was also worried about installing them but ODIN is brilliant so i'd give it a go :)

I have installed KG7 now just to see what it's like and it seems great so I would say try KG5 (Official) or KG7 and you should be able to go back to your original one if you have any problems :)

Custom ROMS I am more worried about messing up with those so I'm steering clear for a while lol :D

18. stephen2529

stephen2529 Newbie

I think kg5 is what im looking towards installing. Odin looks straight forward enough to use. over on xda there is a section with all the firmware updates but there are so many lol. I can see one for kg5 but it says polland. Is this the one to use for our uk phones or is there another one hidden away that Im missing?

19. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

Poland kg5 is the correct one. It originates from poland but works fine in uk and is the file we all use. Make sure you download the package (top one) not the stock kernel

20. UniqueProblem

UniqueProblem Newbie

Can I install the KG5 and return back to my original? or do I have to do something with my original (current) firmware before I begin this process to enable me to go back to my orginal?

21. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

I can't see that you'd ever need our want to go back! But if you want to make sure I'd find the necessary file and download it beforehand so you don't forget.
    Otherwise no, there is nothing more that needs to be done before you flash kg5

(you should find your current version on here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1113928, and if you wanted to go back, you'd just flash it in the same way as flashing the KG5 update)

22. stephen2529

stephen2529 Newbie

Thats what I needed to hear lol. I thought it was the case just wanted someone to confirm it before I jumped in. Will that version wipe my phone or just update it? I could do with not having to sort it all out again lol.

Thanks a lot for the replys

23. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

shouldn't wipe anything

24. stephen2529

stephen2529 Newbie

great thanks a lot for the info

25. UniqueProblem

UniqueProblem Newbie

Just updated to KG5, maybe a belated comment but new to the android game. Everything went well no wipe. Just trying to figure out the difference. I might not notice any being new to the android field so didn't really have full experience in depth of 2.3.3 before I updated.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews