1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Am I still Rooted??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by John Milender, Jan 2, 2012.

1. John Milender

John Milender Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay,
    So around thanksgiving I had my cousins boyfriend help me root my phone and he did it for me. Before doing it, he made a backup and then did the process of rooting. It worked successfully and my phone was rooted and running amazing. Then about a week ago i was messing around trying to mirror my phone to the tv and I had to download a kernel but i had no idea how to do it or what i was doing. I downloaded it and then flashed it. It rebooted but wouldn't go to my homescreen, instead it just kept restarting to my revolutionary root screen. I had no idea what to do there so I used my recovery. I lost everything I had done since thanksgiving. Now I'm wondering if I'm still rooted because the backup was made before the rooting.
    I downloaded root required apps again and it said I'm not rooted.
    Am i still? Or do i have to do the whole root process over?
    Do i have to reactivate it or something? I'm totally lost on what to do now.
    Please help??

I have more info on why I think in still rooted:
    When my phone is off and I hold the screen lock button and volume up, the boot screen comes up and on top it says revolutionary. I can scroll up to it?!
    I'm really confused.

Advertisement

2. John Milender

John Milender Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay, So around thanksgiving I had my cousins boyfriend help me root my phone and he did it for me. Before doing it, he made a backup and then did the process of rooting. It worked successfully and my phone was rooted and running amazing. Then about a week ago i was messing around trying to mirror my phone to the tv and I had to download a kernel but i had no idea how to do it or what i was doing. I downloaded it and then flashed it. It rebooted but wouldn't go to my homescreen, instead it just kept restarting to my revolutionary root screen. I had no idea what to do there so I used my recovery. I lost everything I had done since thanksgiving. Now I'm wondering if I'm stillrooted because the backup was made before the rooting. I downloaded root required apps again and it said I'm not rooted. Am i still? Or do i have to do the whole root process over? Do i have to reactivate it or something? I'm totally lost on what to do now. Please help??

I have more info on why I think in still rooted: When my phone is off and I hold the screen lock button and volume up, the boot screen comes up and on top it says revolutionary. I can scroll up to it?! I'm really confused.

3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ok if you have s-off and you have a custom recovery then you are rooted. i would suggest that you read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html from head to toe. it has a ton of info that will help you out. including how to flash roms and kernels.

4. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ok, First off welcome to the forums!!! :)

Second what we need to see is the text shown on the hboot screen. Hboot is the white screen with Andy riding a skateboard. ;)

Hold the volume down button and then press and hold the power button simultaneously until the hboot screen comes up.
    Type exactly what you see on this screen. This will tell us if you are rooted still or not. :)

Edit: Ocn pulled a ninja move on me again!! :D

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
  6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I take it by using your recovery, you restored the backup you'd made before you flashed revolutionary? If so, you should still be rooted as you'll have needed root to get into clockwork/amon ra to create the backup. Does that make sense?

You can try this: Root Checker, that should give you the definitive yay or nay with regards to your root status.

Granite1 and John Milender like this.
  7. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Male
    Illinois
    Sounds like you are still rooted and just need the superuser app that mizzou posted

Tags: