1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Am I stuck in a time loop?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by _mw_, Jun 4, 2011.

1. _mw_

_mw_ Android Enthusiast
    None

I'm sorry if this question reeks of naivety, but I'm new to the community.

I've added a few sites to my feeds, one of which is droid-life.com which just announced this earlier. I've double checked the date on the post and the time on the comments numerous times to make sure I wasn't reading them wrong, due to this thread here posted back in April. So... if it's been out for a few months now, why is it being announced as though it were brand new?

I guess they don't specifically mention that it's new, but that title is highly misleading. I'm new, so everything is new. I'm curious though if I've bookmarked a site I shouldn't be exerting the effort on.

If nothing else it led me to GSB which I'm flashing in about 2 minutes (nandroid back up already performed because I'm not wasting time setting it up if I don't love it inside of the first five minutes). I should probably be in bed.

Advertisement

2. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    good question... not sure why theyre making it out to be the latest and greatest. R2 has had OMGB and OMFGB out for quite some time for the incredible and evo,and not quite as long for the eris,but still quite some time.

as you can see in the 2nd thread you linked,i tried OMGB and it was ok... i think youre making a good choice with GSB,and defiantely check out condemned CM7 as well :cool:

edit: tazz has an AOSP gingerbread out as well,if you like the notion of a non-cm gb

_mw_ likes this.
  3. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    They probably just found out about it.

4. _mw_

_mw_ Android Enthusiast
    None

I think I might give CM7 a go today, so long as I can get away with it without my wife noticing. I think she's catching on that it's been two weeks since I got the phone and I'm still playing with it far too much.

I rather liked the launcher in GSB but I think I've been tainted by Sense because everything else looks so stone age. Even the icons in the status bar look like they've gone backwards instead of forward. :( The dialer... ugh, the dialer.

Which pretty much tells me what I need to know. Bottom of the reading list for now!

5. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    CM7 will not give you the Sense launcher - it uses ADW, and it's otherwise based on the same framework as GSB.

However, check out DialerOne - if you're used to the HTC Sense dialer, that will definitely feel a lot closer than the stock Android dialer.

https://market.android.com/details?id=kz.mek.DialerOne&feature=search_result

_mw_ likes this.
  6. _mw_

_mw_ Android Enthusiast
    None

This I realize! I didn't mean to suggest I will only suffer a phone with Sense on it, just that I think it's already gone and tainted my ability to look past the interface. When in doubt, function over form, but for a daily driver I do like a healthy balance.

I like the look of ADW, I'm going to run another backup because I've already installed new apps again today.. then flash CM7 and try it for at least a few days before I go back (if I go back). I need a second phone just for all this trial and error.