1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Am I the only one that absolutely HATES not having a physical keyboard?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by brtnygrn, Feb 24, 2011.

1. brtnygrn

brtnygrn Member
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    Newark, Delaware
    I had the Droid Incredible and hated not having a physical keyboard.. personally I think the Android on screen keyboard sucks(& I'm a woman and have small fingers). I sold it for an LG Ally mainly for that reason.
    I was REALLY looking forward to getting the Thunderbolt tomorrow, or whenever cuz who knows when it's gonna be released.. but anyway, I was reconsidering and might just get the Droid 2. I really don't know what to do :/
    Anyone else hate on screen keyboards?

Advertisement

2. DexTyler

DexTyler Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    I would have thought having small fingers would help depending on the screen and button size. I don't really mind not having a physical keyboard. Although, at times it can be frustrating. I think I'll make sure my next Android includes a physical QWERTY keyboard.

3. batgeek

None

Sep 4, 2010
    Systems Engineer
    Suffolk, VA
    i prefer a physical keyboard strictly for when i want it for gaming.

4. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    I got a Desire Z alongside with my Droid Incredible. Using myself as a living experiment, I'm not seeing how I'm more productive with the Desire Z. I get the feeling my next smartphone would be back to all touchscreen and one of those with a large 4.3" screens instead.

5. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    i have had the htc touch, diamond, hero, and now EVO
    love the simple no keyboard phones... less to break or parts that wear down over time.

6. gutted

gutted Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    Boston
    It's certainly personal opinion. I, myself, enjoy having a physical keyboard.

7. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer
    None

Jan 11, 2010
    Driver
    W Midlands, UK
    I wouldn't think you are the only one but as others have said it comes down to personal preference. Myself, I couldn't imagine not using Swype any more and find I'm very slow when I have to use a normal touch screen keyboard now.

8. 350Rocket

350Rocket Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    College for Civil Engineering
    Belleville, Ontario, Canada
    I prefer the physical keyboard (i have the shine plus which has the same keyboard as the ally) i can type way faster on it. Typing on a 3.2 inch screen i find really difficult but not as bad on 3.7 and bigger. I tried the desire z and found the keyboard not very good. My next phone will probably have a 4.3 inch screen and no keyboard but i will hang on to the shine plus in case i ever foresee having to do some major typing on my phone.

9. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    I believe the touchscreen experience (which includes typing) improves the larger the screen. And there's no limit to screen size to me. Bigger is better. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38

It shows how touchscreen technology may evolve over the next few years.

Typing on an ipad is so much better than typing on a small phone. I used to be a physical keyboard person when I used Blackberries. I hated my wife's iPhone. The screen was way too small for efficient typing. My Evo changed my mind. Larger screen. And now Swype actually makes typing fun.

EarlyMon likes this.
  10. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    I prefer a physical keyboard because virtual ones take up too much space when editing word/excel docs.

Also, the physical keyboard makes it easier to see the terminal emulator and vi files.

11. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Yes, that's the best argument for a physical keyboard, imo.

Devices with physical keyboards also have on screen keyboards, and I've seen some folks say that they end up using one or the other all the time.

But I still like not having to slide anything out to answer a text message, etc, and not having the extra hardware (that's the big deal for me, lighter and more sleek with no keyboard); it's just there when I open the app.

So, it's a choice between two good things, as I see it.

12. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

I have a Moto Droid and love my keyboard. I don't see myself getting a phone without one, I use it 98% of the time, for everything. Waiting to see what the Droid 3 is going to end up being...it already is a winner for me...keyboard!!

13. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio

The only time I use the physical keyboard is for the things I've mentioned already and for lengthy emails or text, it's easier to edit with the physical one due to the directional keys.
    I know the virtual one has the red dot, but the directional keys are easier.

That's why I prefer a device with both.
    Also with my D2, I can reboot by pressing shift-alt-delete. No more battery pulls.

14. yohobojo

yohobojo Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    Student
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    I has the ally. I like having both physical and touch keyboard. I use physical like 75% of the time and rest touch. I prefer having both to switch back and forth.

15. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    Can't stand a physical keyboard myself. Never could. Waaaaaaaaaaaay too small. Even a laptop keyboard is small for my hands/fingers :)

One word: SWYPE! :)

16. rowuncw

rowuncw Newbie
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I actually prefer not having a physical keyboard, but I've sent maybe 15 texts since I got my Fascinate in December, and I have yet to compose an email. For me, having a thin phone with a larger screen is more important but only because I'm not a texter at all. (also, if there was a cell phone plan where I could only pay for, say, 60 minutes per month, I would be good to go).

17. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Definitely a personal preference thing. I absolutely hate a physical keyboard with a passion. To me it just adds extra bulk to the phone without adding any extra worth.

18. doniago

doniago Android Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Finance
    Burlington, VT
    With a Droid X and Swype I don't miss a physical keyboard, but I do think I may be typing a little more slowly (very fast touch-typist here).

If I had a smaller phone and/or no Swype I think the odds are significantly higher that I'd want a physical keyboard.

19. hal

hal Lurker
    None

Jan 25, 2010
    I've always preferred devices with hardware QWERTY keyboards, since gaming and emulation are so much more fun when you have physical buttons. But ever since I bought the HTC Hero in 2009, I've only had pure touchscreen phones.

With gesture based on-screen keyboards such as SlideIT and Swype, I don't really miss having a hardware QWERTY for text input. But whenever I play certain games, ports of id Software's Quake and emulators (which I tend to do quite a lot), I wish I had a physical keyboard.

20. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer
    None

Jan 11, 2010
    Driver
    W Midlands, UK
    That's a great video but where are the finger prints!? :eek:

21. seeAdam

seeAdam Lurker
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    You could always wait and see if there are third party accessories that'll address it. The iPhone (not to plug) just got a case that had a bluetooth mini-keyboard attached to it. I think engadget reviewed it, so maybe it'll come over to other phones too. BoxWave Keyboard Buddy iPhone case review -- Engadget

22. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I had the N97 before and now the Desire Z. I also have a BlackBerry for work. I prefer using a physical keyboard. I don't like the fact that the virtual keyboard blocks a significant portion of the screen. Also, I like the physical tactile feel of actually pressing the keys.

I did try out Swype on the N97 for a week. The problem I have with Swype is that sometimes I pause typing in the middle of the word. Then I have to delete and restart. Also, Swype seems more difficult to use when entering non-standard words such as proper nouns, abbreviations or url's. I ended up switching back to the keyboard.

I do occasionally use the virtual keyboard if I only have to enter very few characters like a word or two. Anything that is as long as a sentence or longer, I would use the physical keyboard.

23. txrxio

txrxio Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    Engineer
    I used to dislike my onscreen keyboard on my Incredible, but after I did the manual calibration it works great. I still wish I could have some buttonry so that I could play emulator games without my fingers pressing the wrong places, but it isn't a big deal.

24. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    The answer to any question that starts like this is always no. I mean, do you really think you're the only person in the world with a given opinion?

Not blindly. I didn't care for my Droid's virtual keyboard before Swype. I have no problems with the stock iPhone virtual keyboard though. I don't lump them all together as they're apparently not all identical in my book.

Simple. Test drive. Wait for an in-store display and try it out before you buy. Most people seem to have strong preferences when it comes to keyboards. Include an assessment of a given device's keyboard before you buy.

25. esthernrob

esthernrob Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    i deliver the nectar of the gods, BEER!
    Upstate, NY
    i prefer the on-screen kb... with my EVO's large screen, it's much easier to type in landscape... this is my first android smartphone, came over from sanyo incognito, which had physical keyboard but was smaller... not a gamer, just messaging so on screen is it.... in my opinion...

;)