1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Am I the only one who finds this hilarious?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Steven58, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Steven58

Moderator Thread Starter

I was in the Verizon store, today. There was a huge 5G sign right in the middle of the store. I asked the woman if there was 5G in that area of New Jersey, yet. She said there wasn't. She said that it's only in selected cities. Of course I knew that. My thought was why advertise something that won't be relevant for possibly a year or so? I don't know. I thought it was funny and left. Why hype something you can't sell?

MrJavi likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. GameTheory

GameTheory Android Expert

It's a marketing strategy to build hype, awareness, and demand beforehand for an upcoming service or product.

3. Steven58

Moderator Thread Starter

I know that. Of course. I still find it silly. I also find selling 5G phones to people who don't have 5G silly.. But that's just me.

MrJavi, MoodyBlues and ocnbrze like this.
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Who's to say that the 5G in the phones they sell today to those without 5G availability will be the same 5G when the service is actually ready?

FWIW, I have a friend out in Salt Lake City, UT who just switched to 5G and says it's unreliable and expensive ... in other words, not ready for prime time yet.

tube517, MrJavi, MoodyBlues and 2 others like this.
  5. Steven58

Moderator Thread Starter

ExACTly!

Remember when the EVO 4G first came out? The 4G protocol was a fake 4g that eventually died. WiMax or something. You pay a steep and foolish price to be on the bleeding edge of connectivity. But hype it anyway, right?

tube517, MrJavi, MoodyBlues and 2 others like this.
  6. lunatic59

We need as many G's as we can get, like blades in your razor. If 4G is good, then 5 must be better. I think Darth Vader had 27G on the death star. ;)

tube517, MrJavi, olbriar and 4 others like this.
  7. Steven58

Moderator Thread Starter

Gee :) :p

ocnbrze and lunatic59 like this.
  8. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

When I was heavily into Roller Coaster Tycoon, too many Gs on a coaster could be a very bad thing! I had to tone down turns and drops, monitoring their vertical and horizontal Gs. Too high and they'd be too scary for most riders.

Sometimes I'd make them crazy high, and then laugh as the brave riders got off and vomited. :eek: :goofydroid: :wtfdroid: :spitoutdroid:

Steven58 and lunatic59 like this.
  9. Steven58

Moderator Thread Starter

wait. what?

10. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Yes, for real. :)

Part of building a coaster in RCT involves keeping its vertical and horizontal G-forces within human limits. Make them too high, and no one will ride the coaster--too scary/sickening. Make them too low, no one will ride--too dull/boring. There's a sweet spot, a range that will attract riders, and make you money! :D

11. Steven58

Moderator Thread Starter

What if I don't wanna make money that way? Hmmm? :) :)

12. lunatic59

I can make people sick just by showing up. I never realized there was money in it!

Steven58 likes this.
  13. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

That's exactly what I thought of - Wimax "4G" LMAO.

Off topic: We got Wimax 2 years after I got my EVO. Bought my EVO in 2010 and Wimax didn't come until 2012 to my area. Other places got it first. By 2012, Sprint decided they were going LTE so the 4G/Wimax thing was a sham.

I'll wait until 5G comes first to my area before I get one.

14. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Then you'll suck at playing RCT! :eek: :D

Its whole point is to create a successful amusement park, and much of that relies on having rides visitors want to go on.

How would you like to make money in it? :thinking:

Steven58 likes this.
  15. Steven58

Moderator Thread Starter

Never heard of RCT. HUH.