1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Am I using 3G?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by adamdupre89, May 26, 2011.

1. adamdupre89

adamdupre89 Lurker

When the arrows on the 3G sign on the top of my screen light up does that mean im transfering data, like using my data plan? Im limited to 200mb and I wanna see when im using data and when im not.samsung captivate

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert

You can try an app called 3g watchdog. It will monitor your usage. Even has a small widget to tell you what you have used. It's best to set it up at the beginning of your billing cycle to get it as accurate as possible.

3. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

Absoloute +1 on the 3G watchdog, except you don't have to set it up at the start of billing cycle. Just go into settings and tell it when the billing started.

You can also get something called"SMODA widget" that will let you easily turn off 3G when you want.

4. 2manyPHONES

I tried it when I was in the middle of my billing cycle and even though I chose the dates it was still off when compared to my usage reported on my bill. I also tried netcounter which will monitor mobile usage and wifi if you want to see how much of one you are using versus the other

5. DaNaRkI

DaNaRkI Member

netcounter is nice for getting that info out of the phone but it has issues with updating it's own self. Tho excessive, I have netcounter on the phone to pull the data use info but rely on others for a more up to the sec view. Current fav is Data counter widget, as it has a great breakdown of daily, weekly, and monthly use.

6. 2manyPHONES

I didn't use netcounter long it was a brief try i was just curious on average how much more wifi I use over mobile data. Then I forgot I had it on my phone still and recently uninstalled it. I have unltd data anyway but just wanted to see some numbers.

7. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert

if youre on att you can get an app called myAT&T and you can look at exactly how much data you are using, watchdog can be off sometimes. also if youre on 2.2 you can hold the power button and turn off data when not using it

8. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

Well, it's obviously not going to know about any data you've used up do that point. You need to go into the AT&T website or the MY AT&T ap and add in any data you've used up until the time you installed it.

9. 2manyPHONES

Sorry I meant from the point I installed and started using 3G watchdog my usage on the dates I was using the app versus what att was saying wasn't a match up but during the following bill cycle i noticed the data usage was pretty much the same on the att site as to what 3G watchdog was saying. So I'm not sure if something else was messing with it but before my cycle started over 3G was saying I was using more data than what att said I have used.

My cousin uses it since she is on a 2gb plan and she just happened to have added the app the day her billing started for the month and hers is pretty accurate.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews