• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am i wise to keep the mini pro?

TJ2010

Sep 10, 2010
Se are getting a lot of flak, loads of customers seem to be jumping ship and the m.p might only be updated to 2.1. Didn't know how this would affect me until i tried to download gmail today. Only works with 2.2! So are the X10s going to get left and become obselete in 12 months or is everyone blowing things out of proportion? Se are saying with their shell the update will be a s good as 2.2...

I have a limited time to send the phone back so need to make a decision pretty soon. As alternatives i'm considering the W995 or htc wildfire but people seem to really rate the mini pro. How good an android phone can it be if it can't run the latest and greatest android apps? Plus no flash or MT. Best option to root it once the bootloader is cracked? I know it can cause problems which is why i'm asking.

What would you do?

I already had it on my phone anyway. Google have made a version that you dl so that people with handsets that don't have it can use it... but it only works with 2.2. :rolleyes:

did you try it or just read the recommended ?

I have used loads of apps that say they're for v2.1 and up and they worked fine

EDIT
ah I see it this gmail app works on a limited number of phones in fact the spec says very few

The Gmail update requires Froyo (Android version 2.2), so it’s available if you have a Nexus One, HTC EVO, Motorola Droid 2 or Motorola Droid. (Not sure if your device is running Android version 2.2? Check here.)

Upvote 0
I'm running 1.6 with the 2.1 update imminent. Apparently there are no plans to update the X10s beyond 2.1 which is one of the reasons i'm asking.

I thought more a lot more smartphones were running 2.2. Begs the question, why did google release a gmail for anyone to use when it will only run on a select few handsets?!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones