• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Amazing Droid performance increase

hows battery life on this program? ive been reluctant to use in fear for my battery.

I really haven't seen a change in battery life nor do I expect to. The phone just writes data in different places, not extra writes (as I understand it :rolleyes: ) so there should be no change in energy consumption. Am I correct, oh gurus of swapdom?

Upvote 0
OK, in reading the last several posts, I see that there are some options available, including the use of a Swap file versus a Swap partition. I am inclined to use a Swap Partition, but will the app make the partition without kill the current partition (I am betting no), and if not, after I make my partition, I'll need to power off the phone and copy all of the data back to the data section of the partition, correct?

Upvote 0
SO what is everyone using for Swappiness? I left it on default (10) for now

20 - random selection. no one really knows best, people are just picking and if 10 is "recommended", I felt 20 would be fine. I think many use 20.

hows battery life on this program? ive been reluctant to use in fear for my battery.

no issue thus far. the battery drain I asked about earlier was not related to this I found.

Upvote 0
I see the swapfile on the sdcard, it is 32meg in size, but when I start the swapper (ON) I continue to get errors as above.

What kernel are you using? I was trying to use Chevy's LV 1.1 GHz kernel on that post and that's why it didn't work. I switched to P3Droids LV 1.1 GHz Kernel and it worked without issue afterwords. Apparently JDGFL and Slayher's kernels support memory swap too.

Upvote 0
OK, in reading the last several posts, I see that there are some options available, including the use of a Swap file versus a Swap partition. I am inclined to use a Swap Partition, but will the app make the partition without kill the current partition (I am betting no), and if not, after I make my partition, I'll need to power off the phone and copy all of the data back to the data section of the partition, correct?

The Swapper 2 app won't make the partition for you. You either have to repartition manually or use an app such as Rom Manager to do it for you.

You will have to copy your data off, repartition and then copy your data back to the sdcard.

Upvote 0
Is anyone using swapper2 and compcache together or are you all just running swapper2?

Also, why make a 512 Mb partition to use a 32Mb swap file? Is 512 the smallest partition size available? Is Ext4 the preferred filesystem or do others, such as fat32, also work?

I would think that Ext4 is just superior to FAT32 in general. Didn't make a separate partition myself so I can't comment on any performance differences.

Upvote 0
SO what is everyone using for Swappiness? I left it on default (10) for now

Hmmm. I replied to your post this morning, but it seems to have been exterminated.

Anyway.. After using my phone with a 32MB swap partition and a swappiness of 10, I noticed that the phone would get *extremely* laggy as more and more swap was used. I also noticed that the partition would fill up rather quickly. I started experiencing a number of FC's as well.

I've been running with swappiness set to 5 for the past two days with improved results. Swap is used less and takes much longer to fill up. I have not experienced any lag yet.

Swappiness controls the Linux kernel's tendency to push pages from RAM to swap, so lowering the number will make it swap less.

I think my next experiment will be to get a class 6 sdcard and see if that helps write performance as the kernel is moving pages to swap space. I still have not seen a definitive answer regarding a performance increase from a class 2 card to a class 6 card and the alleged Droid hardware limitation of using anything greater than a class 2 card.

Upvote 0
Is anyone using swapper2 and compcache together or are you all just running swapper2?

Also, why make a 512 Mb partition to use a 32Mb swap file? Is 512 the smallest partition size available? Is Ext4 the preferred filesystem or do others, such as fat32, also work?

There are people running compcache together with something called backing swap. I believe this is where compcache itself controls swapping.

I'll may try compcache and Linux swap and see what happens.

As to the partitions, you'll have three: The large FAT32 partition, the 512MB EXT4 partition and the 32MB Linux swap partition.

Upvote 0
I see the swapfile on the sdcard, it is 32meg in size, but when I start the swapper (ON) I continue to get errors as above.

I changed from JDLFG's kernel to slayher's, and now swapper2 is working. According to other posts, the JDLFG is known to support swapping, but it didn't for me. My original kernel was chevy's, and I switched to JDLFG expressly for swapping.

Whatever!:thinking:

Upvote 0
I changed from JDLFG's kernel to slayher's, and now swapper2 is working. According to other posts, the JDLFG is known to support swapping, but it didn't for me. My original kernel was chevy's, and I switched to JDLFG expressly for swapping.

Whatever!:thinking:

JDLFG's work for me. Are you sure you were using the most current kernels 32.25?

Just curious, how did you determine JDLFG's were not working for you? what told you that?

Upvote 0
Well, I gave it my best shot but the problem with ^3 (Cubed) persists and I'm having a devil of a time trying to connect via USB, regardless of the settings. Considering that I am seeing little to no performance increase and a whole lot of a pain in the @$$ connecting to the PC, I'm uninstalling this thing. It was a great experiment and I'm glad it's working out for you guys... but the Chief has pretty much had it with this one.

Upvote 0
Well, I gave it my best shot but the problem with ^3 (Cubed) persists and I'm having a devil of a time trying to connect via USB, regardless of the settings. Considering that I am seeing little to no performance increase and a whole lot of a pain in the @$$ connecting to the PC, I'm uninstalling this thing. It was a great experiment and I'm glad it's working out for you guys... but the Chief has pretty much had it with this one.

About time chief. I gave up on this app about two weeks ago. Probably should wait for a swapper app that justs sets everything up optimally for your phone.

Upvote 0
Drat. I switched from JDLFG to Slayher kernel so I could use swapper2, but then my Droid started to reboot randomly and would always have to cycle through at least 3 reboots to load CM 6. So I switched back to stable JDLFG but no swapping. According to prior posts JDLFG supports swapping but I guess I am doing something wrong because swapping is not working although I periodically see messages that swapper2 is granted root permission. Anybody have any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones