1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Amazon ad

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by zuben el genub, Jul 12, 2013.

1. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    I am getting a full sized Amazon ad from somewhere. I trial installed a couple of weather apps and I think one of them installed it. I've deleted the apps, and I still see it.

I also added a MLB scoreboard, but I have that on a tablet, and no ad.

I don't know if Boat Browser Mini has added ads.

Everything else has been installed for a long time and popup type ads.

I tried Airpush and its ilk, but they found nothing. How do I find this bugger>

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    I didnt think Amazon would use that kind of advertising man :(
    i use Ad Network Detector :thumbup:

3. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    The funny thing is it's intermittent. I'll see it after I close Boat Mini. Boat says they put ads only on certain pages, and I hadn't seen any after I closed browser until I tried these weather apps.

I haven't bought any apps from Amazon, either. Phones, yes; apps, no. I do have an Amazon account, but have never given them real phone number.

I tend to buy apps. I will try the free version first, but will buy if I like it. Some, like Handcent don't offer that. They seem to be donationware, have no policy otherwise about ads. But the ads are not that intrusive.

MLB scoreboard hasn't been updated for a while. I use it on the tablet, and no ads but the small ones in the app itself.

I'll just have to wait and see if this pops up again. It's a big full screen popup, too.

4. GreenBeans

GreenBeans Newbie
    None

Nov 28, 2011
    Try plugging your phone into the computer and searching "Amazon" and deleting the files that come up.

5. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Or just use a file explorer like ES (lol i hate computers) :)

6. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I did use ES File explorer. It found nothing. I think it was triggered by one of the weather apps.

I did find the problem with Weatherbug Elite. If you use your zip code, it selects a reporting station. The reporting station that was assigned to my zip just wasn't reporting. Apparently you can't pick and choose for your address. I'd prefer to use my street address as I live on a hill, and the weather can be very different in a valley. I guess Weatherbug doesn't see it that way. Will try to tell them the station doesn't report, and all I'll get is a form letter back.

Here's an article about the whole stupid situation. Something "new" isn't always an improvement.

Mobile apps with a death wish | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld

funkylogik likes this.
  7. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I've deleted all those trialled weather apps. The stupid ad is back. I've removed MLB scoreboard. I'm changing to the paid version of Boat Browser.

I've notice the ads appear after I've used Play on the phone. I usually send apps from the computer. Do you suppose Google is doing it? The last one wasn't Amazon, it was for some cell thing and said Ad by Google. I don't like full page ads appearing after I close the browser or Play.
    Boat mini is set to delete everything on exit, and I don't keep history.

I don't really want to do a factory reset just yet. I'm having trouble backing up the phone on 7Pro. I want to back up a few things first - like Ringtone Keeper and another one for contacts that keeps the addresses and all the info. The SIM just keeps names and numbers and I don't sync with Google. Once I can back up what I want, I might just put CM10 on the phone which will do the same as a reset in getting rid of junk.

8. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    I doubt Google would do ads like that.

Check in Android\Data and make sure there are no folders in there for apps you've uninstalled.

Try uninstalling Boat along with any folders it adds to your SD. Run with the default browser for a day or so and see if the ads are gone.

If you're going to flash a custom rom, may as well locate one that has a custom host file already added. Or you can run F-Droid and download AdAway to block all ads (rooted devices only). I run AdAway and never see ads.

funkylogik likes this.
  9. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I wouldn't mind another custom ROM, but I want written step by step instructions that I can PRINT. CM has a decent WIKI which is why I used CM on other phones. Everyone else uses Youtube. I'm not a big fan of videos. Nor am I a big fan of some of the posters on XDA. They have no clue what an antecedent is even though their tech knowledge is good.

If you have a link to any such information on installing another ROM, and a recommendation for one, I'd appreciate it.

I did check in Android/Data. Nothing there but files from Google and apps I have bought and used for 6 months or longer. Found 2 empty folders elsewhere with push ad labels and deleted them.

I uninstalled Boat Mini. I installed Boat which I have the Pro key for. I bought it a year ago. I did read through all the changes in the app.

I won't use the default browser. Doesn't have the settings I want. Think I froze it with TB anyway.

Thanks

10. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Id say the big 3 stock-type roms just now are Paranoid Android, CM 10.1, AOKP. Ive never tried PA but im tempted to give it a go. Someone on G+ said it has a split screen function like TW(?)

11. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I wouldn't really recommend Boat these days. Besides the ads, one doesn't know for sure what personal information and probably everything else is being phoned home to Beijing.

12. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    I ran AOKP for longer than I can remember. Decided to switch it up a bit and try Slim Bean... AMAZING rom. It definitely gives AOKP a run for its money.

funkylogik likes this.
  13. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL

I didn't mean to insinuate that you use the default browser permanently. I only meant to temporarily use it while you're trying to narrow down where the ads where coming from.

Seems you have things all sussed out... good deal. :)

14. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    No personal info on phone besides number. Phone is listed under a pseudonym. I don't post or do anything personal on phone, use data only for looking up stuff like sizes or specs of mdse, and sports scores. I do personal at home on a Linux box.

I use FX ESR at home. I don't like all the forced updates to let people find social crap without tryng and having to edit About:Config. I use Adblock and NoScript, and haven't seen anything like NoScript for the phone. I also use Tab Permissions and turn off images on the fly. I don't keep history and dump all data on exit. If FX would do an ESR version for the phone, I'd use it.
    ESR only gets the security updates for its life as it is made for business use. Opera does all this also, but its too hard to edit.

Not especially paranoia - just annoyed that everyone wants the info, so I'm not playing. I don't do what everyone else does - never have.

15. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011

I want the plainest, less add on ROM that I can find. While I don't have to use it, I don't like that Pie nonsense and some other built in extras.

Where do you find WIKIs for those ROMS? I've searched and only get videos.

16. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL

Then install an AOSP ROM that doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

Odd that you cannot find anything. Should of had numerous hits for XDA forums. Check the Root section for your phone here on the forums. Should be a list there, too. If its outdated I'm sure someone would be willing to update it for you.

17. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I can find stuff at XDA - most of the posters just spew out ideas and directions with no notion of an antecedent. If you are referring to say hold the volume control 3 times for various tasks, and later in the post say "as I said before" please link to it or say where you put it for each damn task.
    They have very good technical knowledge but no notion of English usage.

18. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    Instructions for flashing a rom is the same for all of them, which is why no one writes directions. No need for them when you can Google for it and find it in a million other places. ;)

Rooting your phone, now that's a different ballgame as each phone will be a bit different and require different things. Even that is made easy now with 1 click root software.

It's just not that difficult anymore.

19. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    ^^ this
    Tbh mate the CM and AOKP roms do have extra settings that stock android doesnt have but who knows, you might actually like the extra features and being able to use themes. Theyre ultra lightweight and fast and as you said, you dont have to use em. They certainly dont bloat these roms. .
    From what ive read on G+ though, Super Nexus rom is very stock :beer:

20. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Different backups or whatever you call it. Some use ROM manager, some use TWRP, some reference Titanium Backup. That's where the confusion is. I have ROM manager and TB since I started with them. The ROM I'm looking at uses TWRP in the instructions.

No one has said whether having 2 different programs will cause a conflict anywhere.
    Some programs warn you to delete something that will conflict, usually an update.

I need to get this phone backed up. 7 is being a pain with the "calculating" message. I have an XP laptop, and virtual XP on the 7 laptop. XP had no problem. I need to find out if I can use virtual XP for this.

21. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Rom manager is an app to make flashing easier or "dumb it down" i think. I dont use it because aparently it doesnt play nicely with the s3 and i prefer to know exactly what im doing.
    TWRP and CWM (clockwork mod) are commonly used custom recoverys. You can use them to flash the zip file of a rom, kernel, modem etc and to make a backup (nandroid) of the entire phone EXACTLY how it is so if you back up regularly and anything goes wrong, you can go back in time to before it happened.
    Titanium backs up apps and their settings (data)
    When you flash a rom you have to wipe the phone so titanium lets you restore all your apps after it. Hope that helps a bit mate :beer:

22. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    I always suggest staying away from apps that automate recovery functions.

At least until you know what you're doing.

The app can't help you when it messes up a flash and the phone won't boot. :eek:

23. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I meant CWM. It's in a file somewhere since I used it on the Nexus S. Probably on the XP laptop or the phone. I wasn't awake this AM. I've still got the S. I will keep the backups and whatever I used for it and start over for the 4.

That was part of the problem - some wanting CWM and the others TWRP - I know both can do the job, but how do the instructions for one compare to the instructions for the other? There's opinions here on both apps, too. Some say to use one, some say the other.

Can you use virtual XP to do this? Or should I just give in and use the XP laptop?

I found this:

Guanxin: noParking!: Installing Nexus 4 ADB drivers on Windows 7 x64.

Then someone in the root forum said they had the same problem with WUG.

Where does Superuser belong? I got with TB, I think. It had one update in Play Store and that update messed up the phone totally. I got rid of the update.

I read just about everything. That's why I have some problems, but I suppose it's better than grabbing the first post about rooting and bricking the phone.

24. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    I dont know anything about windows or pcs bro sorry. As far as i know twrp and cwm will do exactly the same job so choose whatever.
    if youve rooted the phone, it probably installed superuser as part of the process.
    Youre right to read a lot but if u have cwm installed, just make a nandroid backup then u cant really go wrong and we can guide u through the rest :beer:

25. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    Are you still having problems with the Amazon ad? If so, let us know and we'll try to further assist you.

Otherwise we're kind of getting off topic, and the thread will need to be split and moved over to the All Things Root section for your device. :)