1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Amazon App Store: Developer Unfriendly?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by _mw_, Aug 2, 2011.

1. _mw_

_mw_ Android Enthusiast
    None

Advertisement

Gmash likes this.
  2. _mw_

_mw_ Android Enthusiast
    None

Not a big topic of conversation here, or there's another thread somewhere already that I missed. :) Here's a decent rebuttal from DroidLife:

About that ‘Amazon Appstore is Rotten to the Core’ Story… - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I'm sure there's more out there with valid points for both sides.

I have noticed a trend with developers releasing the free version on Amazon, but leaving the paid upgrade secluded on the market. Probably not the worst idea given Amazon's tendency to drop prices on a whim, or the fact that their system can easily be abused on the consumer end (I'm sure most people here know what I'm talking about, but I won't repeat it for anyone that hasn't figured it out).

3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    I had wondered how Amazon would keep up with the free app of the day when they first announced the app store. Guess I know how they do, now.

The Amazon store is meh, anyhow. Had it not been for the free app of the day, I wouldn't have even installed it. I appreciate the fact they tried to recreate the walled garden of iOS on Android, but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages with AAS. The major disadvantage is that apps really don't seem to get updated all that often. If I really like an app, but want the updates, I know that I'll just have to throw down the money in the Android Market. The AAS, as far as I'm concerned, just hands out demo copies.

Now that I know the developers are likely not making a dime off of their Amazon listing, I think I'm more likely to buy the ones I commonly use off the Android Market.