1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Amazon App Store for Android

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by phandroid, Mar 22, 2011.

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot
    None

Apr 12, 2008
    We’ve been anticipating this for quite some time and the Amazon App Store for Android is finally LIVE! We’ll reserve judgement until we have some time to play with it, use it, kick the tires, try and pop the tires, and we’re sure you’ll be doing the same. Let us know what you think about [...]

More...

Advertisement

2. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    Computer Engineer
    Aurora, CO
  3. bourne

bourne Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Are all the apps available in here? I couldn't find pandora.

4. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    Computer Engineer
    Aurora, CO
    I'm sure it's not everything. Just the Amazon store. Different from the Market...

5. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Houston
    Regular $4.99, World Series of Poker is up for grabs free today at Amazon.

jroc likes this.
  6. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    I see I have to check every day for deals....

7. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Useless for international users, if they keep their Apps USA only... :rolleyes:

8. Red_Avatar

Red_Avatar Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Belgium
    If anyone knows a viable way to circumvent the restriction, shoot! I found one site explaining how but it won't work even though I did every step. My account is set to US, I'm using a VPN from a US location on my phone and I got a credit card on account and it STILL says I'm in the wrong region.

It's rather ridiculous to restrict yourself to the US only though considering the Android market is a lot bigger outside of the US compared to the competition - the iPhone has a bigger foothold in the US last time I checked.

9. Android2Addict

None

When amazon app avaiable international?

10. wmshub

wmshub Newbie
    None

May 5, 2010
    I just took a look at the Amazon appstore developer info. From what I see, they keep 30% of the pay (just like Google), PLUS they can put your app on sale whenever they want and you get only 70% of the sale price. Oh, but you're guaranteed at least 20% of the price you set. Whoo-hoo.

I have a fairly successful app (I've netted about $7000 in the past year), and the one thing that would make Amazon appealing to me would be if I got more than the 70% that Google gives me. But now I have to do extra work, get no more money, and in fact get LESS money if Amazon decides to put my app on sale? Why would I waste my effort on this? Yuck.

11. Red_Avatar

Red_Avatar Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Belgium
    Because it's been proven to lead to bigger sales if prices drop? This has been shown time and time again by so many indy developers. World of Goo made a small fortune on a "pay what you want" system a few years back and Steam has been having massive sales at heavily reduced prices where the developers admitted the sales led to easily 10 to 30x the income.

12. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    I don't think Amazon thought to themselves, "We don't want all that money from all those people around the world. Let's make less money so we can stick out our middle finger and say USA! USA!"
    It takes time to get approval for app stores. It took a long time for google until they finally allowed paid apps to most of Europe. Amazon should get there faster because they don't have to deal with carriers and OEM's 9they want revenue sharing), their apps are rated and curated (govt regulators want that) and Amazon already sells to many countries. But it is still something that can't be done in a day when there are so many other issues they have to deal with.
    The problem is that they sent emails to people from around the world about this new appstore and didn't tell them that it was US only until after they downloaded and went through the process. Then they found out that Rio was free and they couldn't get it. That seriously ticked a lot of people off and Rio has many 1 star reviews as a result.