1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Amazon App Store is blocked

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by blzzrdqueen, Oct 24, 2011.

1. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Lurker
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    Hi everyone,

Looking for a little help. I want to get the Amazon Appstore app for my Captivate but when I try to install it, it says "For security, your phone is set to block installations of applications not obtained for Android Market"

I'd like to get around this for this app, but am unsure of how to do it. Can anyone help?

Advertisement

2. The Shape

The Shape Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    NY
    Either call AT&T or go on their site and do a live chat with on of their representatives and ask them to push the update to your phone to allow 3rd party apps. It's as easy as that.

There was an automatic update a few months ago which allowed this but some people didn't seem to receive it. I did a factory reset on my phone a while back and then had to contact AT&T so they could push the update to my phone. Good luck!

3. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Lurker
    None

Oct 20, 2011

Awesome, that worked! Thanks so much!!

4. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    North Carolina
    blzzrdqueen......So did you call or use the live chat option? I tried calling the AT&T rep about a week ago and the tech. simply didn't have a clue when I asked about this. She kept insisting it was on Amazon end which we all know is untrue. If you used the live chat function then that may be the route I need to take on this cause I think that is so unfair for this carrier to lock us down like that...

5. The Shape

None

Jul 28, 2010
    NY
    I used the live chat and the guy knew exactly what I was talking about. It took less than 5 minutes. If I recall, he told me to turn the wifi off on my phone while he pushed the update.

6. Notch

Notch Lurker
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Just a FYI, I just tried the chat option and was told that since my phone was firmware 2.2 and not 2.3 that even though she pushed an update the phone will not allow 3rd party apps until this phone is available for 2.3 update, which she said it isn't...

Phone is using baseband I897UCKB2

7. The Shape

None

Jul 28, 2010
    NY
    That's pure rubbish. I have 2.2 and I just had to do another factory reset on my phone last week. I went on the support chat and the guy pushed the update to my phone. If I were you I would go on there again. That person has no idea what they are talking about. That was the 2nd time I've done that and both times it's taken just a few minutes. Just make sure you turn wifi off.