1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Amazon app store or Google play?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by gonowhere, Apr 20, 2012.

1. gonowhere

gonowhere Android Enthusiast

I know the apps are basically the same but, does anybody prefer one over the other? If so, why?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. valorian

valorian Android Expert

I don't use the Amazon app other than to check the daily free app. No particulate reason I guess, just always used the market for apps.

gonowhere likes this.
  3. Zach A

Zach A Lurker

I like the Google Play store they have a lot more selection and some that are pay on Amazon are free on Google Play. They also have specials on other things beside apps.

gonowhere likes this.
  4. ScottK

ScottK Newbie

Unfortunately, I tend to get most of my apps from Google Play.

I *LIKE* the concept that the Amazon App Store has, in that they vet the apps a bit more, and attempt to stop bad apps/scammers/etc from being able to place their apps on their site.

However, in practice, this just ends up leading to Amazon always being behind in updates for any specific app, sometimes many versions behind.

There are countless apps that I have gotten from Amazon, that are multiple versions behind compared to their counterparts on Google Play.

I don't know whether Amazon is just far behind in approving the updates, or whether the app writers just simply give up submitting the updates to Amazon, whether they forget, or whether they just don't care.

In any case, in the end, I do what I have to do to be on the current stuff, which usually means getting my apps from Google Play.

gonowhere likes this.
  5. as439726

as439726 Android Enthusiast

Hard question. So I will be even more confusing.
    Amazon app store is great for the "Free App of the Day". Google Play is awesome for everything else.
    The biggest drawback for the Amazon store is that it has to constantly connect the app to the store. So if you are out of data range sometimes it causes fubar. Google Play does not.

gonowhere likes this.
  6. gonowhere

gonowhere Android Enthusiast

Good feed back :thumbup:

I was just curious about other's opinions, I have heard some negativity about Amazon. I use the Play Store, I usually know what I want, I'm not one to go crazy downloading novelty stuff, plus I hate getting update notifications from all angles.

I do bounce around for music though, always looking for a bargain or a freebie. :D