• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Amazon App Store Thread - Daily Free Apps

Always read the fine print or don't complain.

Not sure if this was directed at me or not...I was not complaining...It was my fault, as I shouldn't have hit the button. I was more just wanted to make everyone else aware of this.

My main concern was that they charged my card, that had previously been removed from my profile. That is a very BIG issue.

I did receive a response from Amazon and they are giving me a refund (which was not my issue, as it was only $.99). But they did express concern over the credit card being billed and claim that they have informed the technicians to review the situation.

Also, I guess I misunderstood that there was a difference between the 1-clink on your Amazon profile, and on the appstore.

Anyway, hope this helps. Appreciate all the help/insight this forum provides.

Upvote 0
"Thank you for taking the time to write us about your experiences with the Amazon Appstore. We always like to hear from our customers, and we are taking all suggestions like this and passing them along. New services like this always change, we see what we are missing, and change it so that your experience is the best it can be. Customer feedback like yours really helps us continue to improve our store and provide better service to our customers. Thanks for taking time to offer us your thoughts.

If you do have any orders that were accidental, you can email us with the order numbers and we can refund those for you. We know that accidents happen, and would be happy to refund you.

We hope to see you again soon."

I think that is a great response. :)

Sounds like a good response to me as well.

Not sure if this was directed at me or not...I was not complaining...It was my fault, as I shouldn't have hit the button. I was more just wanted to make everyone else aware of this.

My main concern was that they charged my card, that had previously been removed from my profile. That is a very BIG issue.

I did receive a response from Amazon and they are giving me a refund (which was not my issue, as it was only $.99). But they did express concern over the credit card being billed and claim that they have informed the technicians to review the situation.

Also, I guess I misunderstood that there was a difference between the 1-clink on your Amazon profile, and on the appstore.

Anyway, hope this helps. Appreciate all the help/insight this forum provides.

Was not directing it towards you but anyone who just clicks accept without reading the TOS for anything. From what I can tell the info attached to your amazon account when you choose to accept the TOU is saved regardless of what you do with your regular amazon account afterwards, almost as if you have a secondary account for use only on the Amazon app store. Glad they gave you a refund based on principal, I did not think they would. I believe soon we will see some verification prior to making a purchase in the Amazon app store.

Upvote 0
Angry Birds Fans:

It's being reported all over the android forums that Rovio is releasing an update for Rio and Original Angry Birds to included The Easter Edition, hopefully in time before Easter?

So the question lies, will Amazon give us this update in their App Store (even if we purchased their free app of the day-paid no ad version.

Upvote 0
OK Amazon needs to learn a few things:
1) don't allow reviews from people who never bought the game from Amazon.
2) if an app is not for tegra 2, please say so. In general, appstore needs a better tablet section.
3) know your audience. It takes 8 steps to install appstore. That means that if you put as free app of the day, an app that mostly kids will like, it will get bad reviews from this more technical crowd. That's not good for Amazon and not good for the app, which would do OK if it was only downloaded by people who were interested in it.

Upvote 0
Angry Birds Fans:

It's being reported all over the android forums that Rovio is releasing an update for Rio and Original Angry Birds to included The Easter Edition, hopefully in time before Easter?

So the question lies, will Amazon give us this update in their App Store (even if we purchased their free app of the day-paid no ad version.

Yes we will get updates to apps purchased via the Amazon appstore, you will need to update it via the appstore not the market, as was previously discussed.

OK Amazon needs to learn a few things:
1) don't allow reviews from people who never bought the game from Amazon.
2) if an app is not for tegra 2, please say so. In general, appstore needs a better tablet section.
3) know your audience. It takes 8 steps to install appstore. That means that if you put as free app of the day, an app that mostly kids will like, it will get bad reviews from this more technical crowd. That's not good for Amazon and not good for the app, which would do OK if it was only downloaded by people who were interested in it.

1. I recall seeing something, no source sorry, that they are going to address this.
2. Isn't there a compatability thing when viewing the app. It would be a good thing to include the tegra 2 version of apps in the free app a day if it is available.
3. They are also trying to play to users with older/less powerful phones, if they give away an app that will only run on 30% of android phones they will get more backlash than if they give away a crappy app that will run on 90% of phones.

Upvote 0
"1. I recall seeing something, no source sorry, that they are going to address this."

There are some reviews with the verified from Amazon disclaimer so that's a start. But you can't sort for those reviews and ideally they should only allow those reviews.

"2. Isn't there a compatability thing when viewing the app. It would be a good thing to include the tegra 2 version of apps in the free app a day if it is available."

Unfortunately the tegra 2 versions are more expensive and not even in the appstore. nvidia needs to work with them because Tegra Zone also isn't on the appstore.

"3. They are also trying to play to users with older/less powerful phones, if they give away an app that will only run on 30% of android phones they will get more backlash than if they give away a crappy app that will run on 90% of phones."

I can understand that. But if they put out Herocraft's Majesty instead of Herocraft's farm frenzy, they'd get a much better reaction.

And when I saw that Talking Tom Cat was free app of the day, I knew they were asking for trouble. It's a funny app but only if you have a funny sense of imagination and know what to do with it. Otherwise it's just a stupid cat that farts.

Upvote 0
Have you guys switched to the Amazon Appstore for paid apps too or are you still using the Android Marketplace?

If it is cheaper yes. If it is the same price I choose the Market just because I would rather google get the 30% as they built the OS and my absurd fondness of Android. It is like choosing which big box store to buy stuff at.

Picsay pro is a good app for the free app today, you can do quite a bit with it.

Upvote 0
So, just now I got a notification on my phone with the amazon logo that there is an update ready for me. This is the first time I got one as a notification at the top of my phone. Yes I know u can go into the app store then to my apps. This was a notification just like how the marketplace does. Glad to see Amazon also sending these out.

Upvote 0
So, just now I got a notification on my phone with the amazon logo that there is an update ready for me. This is the first time I got one as a notification at the top of my phone. Yes I know u can go into the app store then to my apps. This was a notification just like how the marketplace does. Glad to see Amazon also sending these out.
I got that too, and it was an update for the Amazon Appstore App :)

Upvote 0
I never use Marketplace anymore since they uploaded malware apps. Since then I've been using Amazon app store getting the free apps but also buying their apps as well. I prefer to use Amazon.

Really? "They" uploaded malware apps, yes some devs did but Google took it down. Even legit apps are getting heat now, pandora just got a supoena for inapproprate use of user data without consent. As well as many others

"Upon testing, the publication determined 56 out of 101 apps transmitted the phone’s unique device identifier, 47 apps relayed the phone’s location, while 5 of them sent a user’s age, gender and other personal data to third parties.
In addition, 47 of the apps didn’t include the proper privacy notifications alerting users they were transmitting personal data."
Mobile app makers probed over privacy concerns | TG Daily

I am not sure what exactly amazon is screening for but I doubt they will catch all malware apps.

Upvote 0
I was looking at it as never wanting them again and thought it just created clutter. I guess your point is, I got them for free and uninstalled them and if I want them back in the future I could reinstall them at no cost even though at that time they would be a paid app. Looking at it that way I guess it makes sense to keep them in the list.
I just figured out that you can filter 'My Apps' so that it only shows Installed apps. If you go to the All tab, right under the word All is an option to Sort; You can sort by Name or Status, (which includes Show All, Updates Available, Installed, Uninstalled).

The apps will always be there, but at least you can hide the ones you dont have.

Reactions: rivercat123
Upvote 0
Really? "They" uploaded malware apps, yes some devs did but Google took it down. Even legit apps are getting heat now, pandora just got a supoena for inapproprate use of user data without consent. As well as many others

Mobile app makers probed over privacy concerns | TG Daily

I am not sure what exactly amazon is screening for but I doubt they will catch all malware apps.

Do you mean Pandora Radio? Its still there:

https://market.android.com/search?q=Pandora&so=1&c=apps

Upvote 0
I just figured out that you can filter 'My Apps' so that it only shows Installed apps. If you go to the All tab, right under the word All is an option to Sort; You can sort by Name or Status, (which includes Show All, Updates Available, Installed, Uninstalled).

The apps will always be there, but at least you can hide the ones you dont have.

Thanks for the help. It works great.

Reactions: Poloki
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones