• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Amazon App Store Thread - Daily Free Apps

So far I've gotten Angry Birds Rio, Shazaam Encore, Swiftkey and Farm Frenzy. Of those 4 I've only played Angry Birds Rio. The rest I'll probably delete since I can't really fit them into my Daily Android routine.

Every once in a blue moon I'll use Shazam. The free version was probably enough for me. I've never tried to tag something and been told that I couldn't. I'll take the free version of their premium app though. I like the Swiftkey concept on my phone enough that I will probably download it and figure out how to install it on my NC and use it as my primary KB there. I like Swype better on my phone.

Upvote 0
Holy crap... the "test drive this app now on your computer" is a killer feature.

Android Marketplace needs to add this feature ASAP.
+1
Two free apps, today: Farm Frenzy AND Newsweek Mobile.

Newsweek isn't well-reviewed, but you can test drive online before installing on your mobile (Amazon.com: Appstore for Android).

Reviews on newsweek app are HORRIBLE!! I am amazed, was about to go ahead and install it but the reviews talked me out of it.

Upvote 0
OMG. this is crazy stuff. I just bought Seasons and the Original Angry Birds at Amazon yesterday thinking...they would never offer the others for free since they offered Rio. Argh..I should have waited. :rolleyes: Oh well I'm supporting Amazon/developers right?

Amazon is smart offering the most popular games on phones to get new customers. Smart move.

Oh I found out how to use the test drive, pretty cool on your PC too. Love it.

Upvote 0
So I sideloaded the Amazon Appstore on my Inspire4G and its running fine. What I didnt know was that it still blocks the install of apps downloaded through the Amazon app. DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad::mad::mad:

I think someone found a workaround in the Inspire forum. It sounded tedious but works nonetheless.

My advice is to root, that's what I did. It's not as daunting as it sounds and the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Some reasons to root

- Remove crappy bloatware from AT&T
- HSUPA enabled
- Faster HSPDA download speeds.
- Ability to sideload 3rd party apps
- Wifi hotspot enabled without tether plan
- Assortment of custom roms
- overclock/underclock processor
- Screenshots enabled
- Ability to backup everything on your phone with Titanium Backup

... It's limitless

Upvote 0
Today is the ad free version of Angry Birds Seasons. If you aren't rooted and you like Angry Birds this is a must have. I am rooted and use AdFree so I don't have ads in my Angry Birds games, but I downloaded anyways since it is free.

Unfortunately there are a bunch of stupid people who are giving this game a bad reviews because they think this version is free on android market. It is but it has ads...
I guess amazon really is easy to use if even those people can use it.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately there are a bunch of stupid people who are giving this game a bad reviews because they think this version is free on android market. It is but it has ads...

The funny thing is this game isn't even available at all on the market.

Angry Birds just posted to Facebook today that it would be on the market in a free version later this week, but we all know what that means... ads.

Upvote 0
The funny thing is this game isn't even available at all on the market..

That's why people are posting 1 star ratings on Amazon cause they think the .99 is the ad version. :mad: It's a shame cause either they dumb like the poster mentioned above or their 10 yr olds posting poor ratings.

When I saw the graphics used on the paid ver of Angry Birds Rio at Amazon I was blown away watching it on my phone, I didn't think games could look this good, the colors just pop and it is addicting. It's worth .99 alone with no ads. It is fun to wake up each day to see what Amazon has for me today.

Upvote 0

I hate people like that. If I was the dev I would absolutely despise morons like that. I've seen many apps that clearly require root access get piss poor ratings in the market because they don't work without root and people get pissed off. I want to find people like that and punch them in the face.

Upvote 0
I'd be a bit easy on the root app reviews since most people don't know what root means and they have the right to expect that apps, which they paid for, should work without having to void the warranty of their phone.
I'd still rate those reviews down and leave a comment! I love taking out those reviews.

Upvote 0
I hope this is in the right spot.

I've been having problems with the Amazon app store recently. When I try to download an app(Angry Birds Seasons, to be exact) I'm getting a force close message saying "The application Appstore(process com.amazon.venezia) has stopped unexpectedly. Please Try Again." with a force close button below it.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

I'm on a stock Fascinate, BTW.

Upvote 0
My question is does amazon give the creators of these free app days some sort of incentive for allowing their app to be free for a day?

Do you think the marketplace will follow suit and offer the free app a day?

ZI like the concept if amazon app store and I guess its mostly because of the free apps.When I heard of the free app a day I thought well angry birds rio was the first app for movie promotion of the movie. I then thought after that it would be worthless apps that was offered free. I was presently surprised. I cant wait till every morning to see what the new free app of the day is now.

Upvote 0
Google can offer their own apps for free but they can't take someone else's app and offer it at a discount. Devs would freak out if google tried to play around with their prices.
But it is part of Amazon's dev agreement. Devs have to trust that Amazon knows what it is doing in retail. That's why it is such a brilliant tactic.

Upvote 0
Nice that they first had Shazam and now Soundhound.

I think someone said it earlier, but I will give my point of view. The incentive that Amazon is giving devs by offering free items is that it will raise the D/L count for the app, and the apps are being reviewed favorably (because it seems that Amazon is offering quality apps for free); both of which leads to more D/L and more reviews! So it's kind of a brand awareness thing and it's very similar to those companies that give away free golf equipment so that the item is out there and people can give their input, so it becomes word-of-mouth advertising. I didn't know about Soundhound before today, and now that i have it I will probably recommend it to my friends and they may might even buy it; whereas if I didn't get a free copy, me nor my friends might ever know about it. Genius Amazon.

Upvote 0
Nice that they first had Shazam and now Soundhound.

I think someone said it earlier, but I will give my point of view. The incentive that Amazon is giving devs by offering free items is that it will raise the D/L count for the app, and the apps are being reviewed favorably (because it seems that Amazon is offering quality apps for free); both of which leads to more D/L and more reviews! So it's kind of a brand awareness thing and it's very similar to those companies that give away free golf equipment so that the item is out there and people can give their input, so it becomes word-of-mouth advertising. I didn't know about Soundhound before today, and now that i have it I will probably recommend it to my friends and they may might even buy it; whereas if I didn't get a free copy, me nor my friends might ever know about it. Genius Amazon.

I agree with this but I'm also pretty sure that Amazon is compensating the devs for allowing them to offer it for free. For every free download, Amazon is probably paying a fourth of the cost or maybe a one time bulk payment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones