1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Amazon's Android App Store: Steve Jobs Just Doesn't Get It

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by kennychaffin, Mar 17, 2011.

1. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    Computer Engineer
    Aurora, CO
    Amazon's Android App Store: Steve Jobs Just Doesn't Get It

By JR Raphael, PCWorld Mar 17, 2011 3:18 PM

Roll out the welcome wagon, Android fans: It looks like you'll soon have a new place to shop.
    Amazon may be days away from launching its Android app store, if recent signs are any indication. The company briefly had its storefront online this week, as discovered by German website AndroidNews.de. The blog had the bright idea to pull up amazon.com/apps; there, it found a page entitled "Appstore for Android" with a list of 48 "top-selling" applications.
    The page has since been taken down, but from its brief stay, we learned that Amazon's Android app store will have apps that aren't available in the main Android Market (beyond just the Angry Birds Rio exclusive Amazon had previously announced). It looks like the store will also offer cheaper prices on some common applications; several programs were marked down by as much as a couple dollars below their Android Market rates.

Rest here:

Amazon's Android App Store: Steve Jobs Just Doesn't Get It - PCWorld

Advertisement

Mitchrapp likes this.
  2. TheBrit

TheBrit Android Expert
    None

Aug 25, 2009
    UK
    That's an interesting article. Thanks for posting. :)

3. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Jobs is probably worried that many ios developers, who didn't want to develop for Android because of problems with the Market, may now be interested in Android because of Amazon.

4. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    If Apple allowed another market to sell apps, they won't get the 30% cut of all sales. Apple doesn't want any competition and uses anti-competitive methods. For instance, they require that if you can purchase things through the app, they have to ensure the app store has the option and that the app store is the cheapest price. Even if Apple allowed another place to sell apps, they would probably require that they cannot sell it for cheaper than at the Apple app store.

5. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

Good article. I agree with what they are saying. There was a thread over in the other lounge saying that the Amazon app store would bring an end to the 'Market'. I disagree with that theory, there is room enough for two, three, four or more 'sub-markets' IMO.

I'm assuming that there won't be any free apps on these other markets since they are trying to make their own dime off of the ever growing world of Android. And most people know it's hard to make a dime off of something that is free. So while Amazons app store might have many advantages (from what I've read they will test all apps in their market for bugs/malware) that Googles Market does not have, it certainly won't replace it.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If it brings about a higher class of apps to the Android platform, then more power to them. But they'll never make everyone want to pay for every app they ever download to their phone. That's a farce if ever I heard one.

There is room for both. Good luck Amazon, show Steve Jobs that he doesn't know what he's talking about!

:D

6. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    You can have free apps in the amazon store. I think amazon is smart enough to realize that only if you offer lots of free and tested apps will people will accept it to buy paid apps from there. Nobody is going to keep using it if all you can find are $3 mirror apps.

7. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I would think that Amazon will target market the apps to certain consumers based on their previous purchases. The Android Market likely doesn't have info regarding what other non-smartphone purchases a customer has made. I can see this advantage for Amazon. If there is an app based on a movie or book someone purchased, Amazon may target that customer bringing that app to his attention. If that same customer goes to the Android Marketplace, he likely will not be made aware of such an app unless he were actively searching for it in the first place. For developers, Amazon will likely increase an app's exposure to people who are more likely to purchase it than the Marketplace.

8. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    Computer Engineer
    Aurora, CO
    Well Amazon does offer a free book here and there so likely there will be some. :)

9. CaliforniaMan

CaliforniaMan Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    I really don't understand how this is a plus for Android? I like everything being in just one place, I also think that the average non techie user likes all apps in just one place as well. i don't like the two or three app store approach..................
    And I hate the idea of have to look in Android Market for some apps and in Amazon for other apps.................
    Also Amazon App store rules sound very similar to Apple with it's strict appstore rules. I am thinking this amazon app store will fail.

10. BiggestManEver

None

Jul 7, 2010
    Will the Amazon apps auto-sync to new devices like all my Android Market ones? If not, I don't think I'll be using the service.

11. txrxio

txrxio Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 4, 2010
    Engineer
    I've downloaded about fifty free mp3s from Amazon. Some of them were label samplers, but there were all full tracks and high quality. Loss-leaders are still common in the digital world.

12. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    LOL.

Stevie gets it. The fact that he took the trouble of saying that way back when proves he gets it.

13. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009