• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

America to Obama:

I took the election to mean:

1) We're out of work and want to see recovery faster.
2) We don't think you're doing it quite right.
3) We don't want this monstrous debt.
4) You promised us a change in Washington, and instead we got business as usual and closed door politics. We didn't even really know what was IN the healthcare bill before it had to be voted on.

Many more things were said, but those were up at the top.

Upvote 0

4) You promised us a change in Washington, and instead we got business as usual and closed door politics. We didn't even really know what was IN the healthcare bill before it had to be voted on.

Don't you know that they had to pass the healthcare bill so we could find out what was in it? Geez

[/sarcasm]

Upvote 0
So who are we supposed to vote for in another 2 years when we are disappointed with the republicans for not coming through for us either? I honestly don't see anything changing in the next decade.

Chaulk it up to the wonder of the two party system! :rolleyes: Personally I think the American people need to eliminate both political parties and force politicians to serve as representatives of all of their constituents rather than representatives of a national party with it's own hidden agenda. Sadly I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for that to happen... :(

Upvote 0

You can be sure the House Republicans will come up with all the solutions needed by their big-business owners to help them fleece us further, right after the election break.

:D

Upvote 0
I heard clearly " we were promised change and the only thing that changed was who got our money" I predict as I did in 2008 that the presidency is going to the other party for a while. Americans for the most are on to the change in leadership but business as usual going on in washington. The only thing we can do is vote for the other guy and hope it gets better. And so that's the way it's going to be for a while.

Upvote 0
My hope (though I have my doubts it will happen) is that Obama and the new GOP led House will compromise like Clinton did with Republicans after the 1994 midterm elections. Clinton had to move to the center on some key issues but they got a lot of big ticket items passed and balanced the budget with a pretty nice surplus.

Leaders from both sides since Tuesday night have been saying they want to create jobs and work together on key issues, etc. They can show compromise if the Democrats, say, extend the tax cuts due to expire at the end of this year for EVERYONE and then ask for a concession on one of their key issues, just to start. Both sides can then tout that they didn't let the cuts expire for their key constituents/demographics. I imagine there will be a stalemate on issues like energy reform and immigration but I don't think either of those areas are a quick fix and I'd rather they spend more time writing a good bill then rushing a hastily and long-winded one like the health care bill ended up being.

Lastly, what rubs me the wrong way is when politicians in general say they are going to create jobs. The best they can do aside from giving federal money to states or agencies is talk about tax benefits/breaks for American businesses and small businesses but they can in no way force them to expand or hire more people. I wish they would stop talking about it like it's so simple when it isn't.

Upvote 0
you really gotta make up your mind who to blame.......

2005-economy great ... President (R) House (R) Senate (R) ... Dems take credit for economy

2006-economy great ... President (R) House (R) Senate (R) ... Dems take credit for the economy

2007-economy starts slumping ... President (R) House (D) Senate (D) ... Dems start shifting blame to Bush for the economy

2008-economy collapsing ... President (R) House (D) Senate (D) ... Dem blame game in full effect

2009-theres an economy? ... President (D) House (D) Senate (D) /w supermajority ... Dems say Republicans are preventing them from helping the economy despite the fact that Republicans have no power to stop them from doing anything they want whatsoever

2010- still no sign of an economy ... President (D) House (D) Senate (D) /w supermajority for most of year ... Dems say Republicans are preventing them from helping the economy despite the fact that Republicans have no power to stop them from doing anything they want whatsoever

notice a pattern???

in case you didnt see the pattern I'll point it out for you... even though the Dems have had UNLIMITED power to do whatever they wanted for most of the time since Feb 2009.... theyve still accomplished nothing and they are still blaming it on Republicans

perhaps you should take a look from a different angle...... weve been in dire straits for the last 3 years....... 1 party has completely controlled Congress for 4 years....... and THIS is the message the voters sent 2 days ago

however I will say...... IMO nothing good is ever accomplished when 1 party completely controls Congress and President be it Dems or Reps....... we seem to fair better when Congress is split....... I dont care for Obama whatsoever... but I think true bi-partisanship and better results will be what we see going forward....... I hope and believe they will find a way to work together....... I dont care what party you belong to... they are all crooks and ultimately its every one of us who are gonna pay the price for 'political agendas'

Reactions: mrholder
Upvote 0

2005-economy great ... President (R) House (R) Senate (R) ... Dems take credit for economy

2006-economy great ... President (R) House (R) Senate (R) ... Dems take credit for the economy

2007-economy starts slumping ... President (R) House (D) Senate (D) ... Dems start shifting blame to Bush for the economy

2008-economy collapsing ... President (R) House (D) Senate (D) ... Dem blame game in full effect

2009-theres an economy? ... President (D) House (D) Senate (D) /w supermajority ... Dems say Republicans are preventing them from helping the economy despite the fact that Republicans have no power to stop them from doing anything they want whatsoever

2010- still no sign of an economy ... President (D) House (D) Senate (D) /w supermajority for most of year ... Dems say Republicans are preventing them from helping the economy despite the fact that Republicans have no power to stop them from doing anything they want whatsoever

notice a pattern???

in case you didnt see the pattern I'll point it out for you... even though the Dems have had UNLIMITED power to do whatever they wanted for most of the time since Feb 2009.... theyve still accomplished nothing and they are still blaming it on Republicans

perhaps you should take a look from a different angle...... weve been in dire straits for the last 3 years....... 1 party has completely controlled Congress for 4 years....... and THIS is the message the voters sent 2 days ago

however I will say...... IMO nothing good is ever accomplished when 1 party completely controls Congress and President be it Dems or Reps....... we seem to fair better when Congress is split....... I dont care for Obama whatsoever... but I think true bi-partisanship and better results will be what we see going forward....... I hope and believe they will find a way to work together....... I dont care what party you belong to... they are all crooks and ultimately its every one of us who are gonna pay the price for 'political agendas'

Finally, someone else who gets it!

Upvote 0

notice a pattern???

Name one law the democratic congress passed in 2007/2008 that hurt the economy.

And of course the numbers say that sub-prime lending peaked in 2006:

http://www.stlouisfed.org/banking/pdf/SPA/SPA_2007_05.pdf

The bubble started bursting in 2007 but the bubble was already there.

Upvote 0
that's not the point he was trying to make.

when the economy was good the Democrats claimed they did it. the economic practices that were building the bubble were already in place. when the bubble started bursting, and finally burst, they blamed it on Bush(those same economic practices were STILL in place.

then came 2009.

the Dems have had UNLIMITED power to do whatever they wanted for most of the time since Feb 2009.... theyve still accomplished nothing and they are still blaming it on Republicans

the Stimulus Bill was a joke that put our country further in debt.

Upvote 0
And, IIRC, the legislation that helped create the sub-prime mortgage issue was passed under Clinton, with the stated intent of helping "women and minorities become more represented among home owners"...

When that bubble burst (but before the debris from it's explosion had really started landing), Obama was quoted as wanting to relax regs on business loans for women and minorities "who were underrepresented in the entrepreneurial world"...

Upvote 0
And, IIRC, the legislation that helped create the sub-prime mortgage issue was passed under Clinton, with the stated intent of helping "women and minorities become more represented among home owners"...

Please... we've been through this. There have been countless investigations, studies, committes, white papers, and so forth. ( I linked to one of them)

Not one of them (including the bankers testifing) have pointed to CRA as having any effect on the crash.

30+ years and 3 republican presidents should have been enough time to fix anything clinton did.

In 2006 ( well before a democratic congress) the banks knew the crash was coming. That's why companies like GS were betting against the loans they were making:

http://www.fcic.gov/hearings/pdfs/2010-0701-Goldman-AIG-Collateral-Call-timeline.pdf

I've never heard about 1 specific thing the democratic congress did to cause the crash.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Name one law the democratic congress passed in 2007/2008 that hurt the economy.

And of course the numbers say that sub-prime lending peaked in 2006:

http://www.stlouisfed.org/banking/pdf/SPA/SPA_2007_05.pdf

The bubble started bursting in 2007 but the bubble was already there.

the bubble, and sub-prime lending was based in large part to barney frank and his, well, ties to fannie and freddie, and the push for housing for all, regardless of ability to pay. in fact, lenders were all but forced through coersion to lend to those who couldnt pay them back in order to facilitate the burst, so they could bail them out later and keep them beholden to their white horse, the federal government, and keep voting in their saviors (read captors). The thing about liberals, they are covert, and patient and can plan long term how to dismantle liberty and personal choice and turn us into zombie "Party" members.

Upvote 0
Both parties can claim to have a hand in the economic downturn for sure. The Democrats went out of their way to extend loans to those who couldn't pay and Republicans went out of their way to enact tax cuts and fight two wars that have cost billions of dollars.

The private sector has begun to show some growth and I think it would be wise to extend the tax cuts for everyone for at least another two years. I don't think you can make them permanent with the deficit as high as it is because of the high price tag.

What we need to do is get out of dodge from two nations we had questionable reasons (I won't elaborate, but just my opinion) to invade that are costing American lives and precious American dollars. It would also nice to get more direct answers and less political rhetoric from our elected officials but that is unrealistic so soon after an election.

I personally don't think these midterm elections were a mandate for Republicans as much as people were unhappy about the economy and jobs and voted for the party that wasn't in power. In 2008 Obama and the Democrats claimed they had a mandate (and by their majorities in each chamber of Congress, they technically did) and then they bungled things up and the voters paid them back for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones